Rostra Backup Camera Kits For the UConnect Radio Now Available - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 20 Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
rjp869

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile Rostra Backup Camera Kits For the UConnect Radio Now Available

Hi All,

We now have available from our supplier Rostra the 250-8407-PRO backup camera kit that will connect to the factory UConnect radio with the 5" screen on 2014 & 2015 Pro Master vans.

This is a complete kit that includes the camera that mounts between the 3rd brakelight and the body (you remove the 3rd brake light, install the camera & then reinstall the 3rd brakelight), and it will work on vans that have the factory 8 pin camera wiring harness at the back of the vehicle and also ones that do not have any camera prewiring in place. For these vans, the kit also includes a camera power & video harness that will be long enough to reach from the camera to the radio, and it also includes an adapter harness that gets added to the factory radio connector. Instructions & installation hardware are included as well, and the camera comes with a 3 year / 36k mile warranty.

To see pix of the kit, check out our ebay listing...however don't buy from there, as we can offer a better deal for direct purchases. Here's the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151567871436

If you would like to purchase from us directly, your price is $210 including shipping & insurance. If you're in Michigan, 6% sales tax would be additional. To purchase the kit we can send you an invoice thru Paypal, and you can pay it with either a Paypal account or with a major credit card - either way works just fine.

Please contact me directly at [email protected] if you would like to purchase a kit.

Thank you!
Bob Prim
Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
rjp869

(Thread Starter)
Just a quick update on the kit - dealer activation is required, as the UConnect 5.0 radios by default do not have the backup camera display option activated.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 PM
Montana

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it same factory camera ? I hate factory camera fish eye type view. I find that I rarely use it . In my ford pickup I use it and hardly use my mirrors....if it gave more of a real view I might buy the kit just doe the camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
rjp869

(Thread Starter)
The vast majority of backup cameras have that "fish-eye" look to the image. It's the nature of these types of cameras - in order to get a wide field of view to make the camera useful enough to see more than just a narrow space behind the vehicle, the camera lens needs to have a decent curvature so as to be able to view more space behind the vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250-8407-PRO Dash Screen Shot.JPG (67.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by rjp869; 01-28-2015 at 08:51 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
rjp869

(Thread Starter)
More kit pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250-8407-PRO Dash Screen Shot.JPG (67.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 250-8407-PRO 2.jpg (193.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 250-8407-PRO 4.jpg (232.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 250-8407-PRO 8.jpg (307.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 250-8407-PRO 6.jpg (266.2 KB, 59 views)
post #6 of 20 Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 AM
Montana

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The picture does not seem near fish eyed as the one showing in your pic. Maybe I am just to use to my ford f 350 diesel camera . I guess if it has a draw back it pretty much only shows what is directly behind the truck . Where the ram almost gives 180 degree view.... So does your camera have a narrower view? Thanks
post #7 of 20 Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
rjp869

(Thread Starter)
The camera, according to Rostra, has a 160 degree field of view. Typically most cameras will have anywhere from about 130 to 170 degrees field of view, with most that we've dealt with right around 150 to 160 - this seems to be a good "middle-of-the-road" field of view to where it shows a decent amount of area behind the vehicle without it being too distorted.

Regards,
Bob Prim
post #8 of 20 Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM
5robottn8

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It is interesting that an aftermarket product is better than that giant black box back up camera from the factory. The modified factory unit with the back up light done by bulldogneon is also better than the factory unit. Not sure what FCA engineers were smoking when they designed the back up camera?
post #9 of 20 Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 AM
mrpersnickety

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up it works

I ordered the Rostra kit from Bob last Monday and it arrived Thursday. I installed the camera and located the plug in above the rear doors, but was waiting for an appointment at the dealer today (Tuesday). Just had the dealer "program" my promaster to see the camera, plugged in the camera at the rear connector and it worked. Just that easy.
Why the dealer ever ordered a Promaster with a Uconnect 5.0 radio but no backup camera, I will never know. Why Ram doesn't offer the backup camera as an dealer add-on, I will never understand. I am glad that Rostra has come up with the answer. Gotta love the aftermarket.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 PM
crc2004

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
did the dealer charge you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpersnickety View Post
I ordered the Rostra kit from Bob last Monday and it arrived Thursday. I installed the camera and located the plug in above the rear doors, but was waiting for an appointment at the dealer today (Tuesday). Just had the dealer "program" my promaster to see the camera, plugged in the camera at the rear connector and it worked. Just that easy.
Why the dealer ever ordered a Promaster with a Uconnect 5.0 radio but no backup camera, I will never know. Why Ram doesn't offer the backup camera as an dealer add-on, I will never understand. I am glad that Rostra has come up with the answer. Gotta love the aftermarket.
Did the dealer charge you to enable (program) the camera?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page