User Tag List

post #1 of 170 Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
MsNomer

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MsNomer: Hiker's Paradise

This will be a slow build because we spend so much time hiking. I did get a small start, though, before we leave this weekend.

The first improvement was a floor mat from Eurocampers. "Dark Grey" is darker than in the pictures, but light enough to brighten the cabin a bit. The fit is excellent. The hold-downs are for carpet, so I will do a bit of modification to anchor it to the seats. So far, it hasn't moved, though.

Because Photobucket hijacked her photos in this thread, MsNomer has created a website detailing her build: msnomersvan.wordpress.com

Last edited by keeponvaning; 02-25-2018 at 01:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsNomer For This Useful Post:
PMF (08-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
MsNomer

(Thread Starter)
Those cup holders are dusty because of my first real project. Yeah, the cabin has cup holders, but they are waaay too low. And we need a spot for the GPS to supersede the lousy speedometer. I was determined to preserve the usefulness of the original cup holders.

A nice piece of curly maple should do nicely.

To support it without any modifications to or holes in the vehicle, I first shaped a bracket to the curve of the recess. This support rests on the shelf behind the cup holders. I covered the back side with foam tape so the wood would not rub against the plastic. The maple does not go all the way to the back, leaving room for a nylon strap.

This nylon strap has Velcro sewn onto the ends. There are vertical rods behind the console that these can cinch tight around.

But without more, the shelf would slide right down. That more begins with supports that bridge the intersections between the original cup holders. The ones in this picture had off-centered holes. I later realized that centered was best. Dowels run up from them to the outermost hole in the L-Bracket. (The lower hole in the bracket was part of that first failed attempt, so ignore it.)

Support members were all painted black, so they fade away, leaving the maple appearing to float. (I didn't realize until I saw this picture that the black needs a bit of touch-up.)

Cup holders from Walmart and the GPS fit nicely.

Underneath the maple, I have Velcro and cup hooks to manage the GPS cords. The cup hooks will also be handy to stabilize plastic grocery bags--hook the handle to keep the bag from falling over.

Because Photobucket hijacked her photos in this thread, MsNomer has created a website detailing her build: msnomersvan.wordpress.com

Last edited by keeponvaning; 02-25-2018 at 01:31 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsNomer For This Useful Post:
Harberneiley (11-28-2015), PMF (08-07-2016), rlortie (04-23-2016), Tradewind (06-16-2017)
post #3 of 170 Old 10-09-2014, 09:13 PM
GaryBIS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Hi,
Very nice -- thanks!
Please keep us updated on your conversion.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 170 Old 10-09-2014, 09:22 PM
makevx73

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
A touch of wood, a touch of class. Nice!
post #5 of 170 Old 10-09-2014, 10:05 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,264 Posts
Garage
Thumbs up on that! Since the origional cup holders appear to be intact can they be used for something used occasionally... perhaps a flashlight or ?????
post #6 of 170 Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
MsNomer

(Thread Starter)
Original cup holders are as functional as they ever were. We like iced drinks on long drives. Top cup holder for the drink. Bottom cup holder for the rest of the can.
post #7 of 170 Old 10-31-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
MsNomer

(Thread Starter)
I can't actively work on my van now because we are traveling through November, but I have made some progress in my travels, particularly in Portland, Oregon. I was fortunate that we had a couple days to spare and a cooperative husband.

First Stop: Motion Windows in Vancouver, WA, outside Portland. They are one of the few manufacturers of windows for the Promaster. These windows have the slight bend instead of forcing the panel flat as generic windows would. Very friendly folk and a quality product. The installer patiently walked us through the installation process and we left with precise hardboard templates for each window. When I get home, I will order the windows--the largest that will fit all around--and we will join the company of brave?? souls who attack their new vehicles with sharp objects.

Second Stop: A flooring store that sells Marmoleum. I got a remnant at a good price with no sales tax and no shipping because it fit in the truck. I am super pleased with this purchase. It must be installed >68°, so I will have to create a monolithic floor, cut the ply to fit, install the Marmoleum on the ply and cure it in the house, then install the unit in the van. Don't want to think about how heavy and unwieldy that will be, but the alternative is wait til summer.

Third Stop: A business which upfits Sprinters and Promasters--that day they had about equal numbers of each. A stupidly simple conversion was going to cost its owner $38,000 on top of the cost of the van itself. I was not impressed with what I saw. Fiberglass insulation. No sound insulation. Wall panels were a fabric about the consistency of burlap wrapped around Luan, then screwed on. They are a custom shop, though, and what I saw was what the customer ordered. I assume they can do better if paid even more money to do so.

Fourth Stop: CampingWorld. I asked to see Class Bs. The first one I was shown was a Viva by Itasca on a Promaster cutaway chassis--didn't know it existed. I was then shown the Travato, the Trend, and a Sprinter. Overall impression: the Promaster wins hands-down for roominess. It didn't look particularly crowded even with all amenities. A couple things I learned about mileage and swivels I will post separately.

I learned a lot from the upfitter and from the models. The most important thing I learned is that I would have to do some really crappy work to sink to their level. The upfitting on the Winnebagos in particular was pathetic.

Now I have to wait another month doing mundane things like the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim (maybe rim-rim-rim) before I can really dive into my Promaster project.
post #8 of 170 Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM
makevx73

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
So sorry! All that fun stuff waiting, working on your PM... And you're stuck trudging in the Canyon... I feel for ya!

Last edited by makevx73; 11-01-2014 at 07:59 AM.
post #9 of 170 Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Hein

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Cool shelf and mounting arrangement.

Hello, We're out in Hood River, OR (East of Portland on I-84) and would like to see your van if you have time. I'd like to get to know the ProMaster a little better. I have a Sprinter you can check out. We have developed some niche products for the Sprinters and looking to expand our offerings to other vans. Maybe we can produce that cool shelf for some other folks. We also have 3M Thinsulate on hand if you want to see it. We are home mostly so feel free to stop by. I'll PM my number and address.

-Hein

Last edited by Hein; 11-01-2014 at 09:46 AM.
post #10 of 170 Old 11-01-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
MsNomer

(Thread Starter)
Just missed you, but thanks for the offer. The Promaster, though, is still in the driveway. Only my husband could explain why we aren't traveling in it. This is the farewell journey for the truck tent that has served us well for 10 years.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page