Question - plusnuts! Sizes & install - Page 4 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #31 of 34 Old 04-01-2019, 01:28 PM
[email protected]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I made a video showing how to install plus nuts using only 2 wrenches, a bolt, a washer and a star washer. You could use an impact drill to speed things up. Promaster metal needs about 10 turns to fully tighten.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvrsJRin76P/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
bahawton (04-01-2019), MileHighVannin (04-04-2019), RDinNHandAZ (04-01-2019), Robert Andersen (04-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 04-01-2019, 02:41 PM
JansVans

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just finished installing rivnuts, paneling, etc. in my van, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

1) when drilling use "CUTTING OIL" (available in the plumbing dept at the Home Despot for $6-7). Makes cuts smoother, protects your drill bits.

2) I used a combination of M8 round and M8 Hex rivnuts ordered from Amazon. The hex fit into some of the factory made hex spaces. For the M8 rounds I drilled holes using a step bit with a tape to mark the end point. We tried using a regular drill bit but it did not cut as well or as evenly, and because it was pretty long it was much more apt to go too deep. (In either case you want to center punch or drill a pilot hole.)

Another way to protect the outer skin of the van from too-deep cuts is to put a shim behind the metal so if you do go too deep it hits the shim not the skin.

3) I used a DIY rinut install tool (washers, oversized coupling nut, more washers on a long bolt), with my impact driver. Worked great.

4) Used mostly 1/2" self-tap screws to affix the paneling. Our panels are 5mm underlayment from Lowes.

5) By the way, I spent waaaay too much time trying to figure out the rivnets/plusnuts and their sizing. Hope this info and the thread help others from going down that rabbit hole, too.

2018 159" White Hi-Top
The Following User Says Thank You to JansVans For This Useful Post:
bahawton (04-01-2019)
post #33 of 34 Old 04-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Domitype

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Are you mentioning that tip from experience? I was lucky when drilling on my VW Vanagon Westy a few decades ago, got a drill-stop after that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post
...what he said!

And, put a stop on your drill so it doesn't go too deep and hit the outside wall of the van!

Harbor Freight has a kit with a hand Rivnutter, and 4 sizes of rivnuts! Under$20

post #34 of 34 Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
... did it once years (more like decades) ago. Haven't done it since!

I don't use a clamp on drill stop, I drill a hole in a block of hardwood and use it on the drill... can't slip up or down!

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
The Following User Says Thank You to proeddie For This Useful Post:
MileHighVannin (04-04-2019)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page