Door open warning when closed. Can’t lock. Help appreciated.. - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
BeWhereUR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Door open warning when closed. Can’t lock. Help appreciated..

I have taken off for a weekend test run in the van while I’m in the middle of my build. I’ve noticed that the door ajar warning light is on even though I’ve gone around the vehicle several times and closed all the doors again. I could live with a warning light, but it seems to be interfering with my ability to lock the van. Using the key, I can lock the drivers and passengers doors as well as the rear door, but the slider does not have a key hole, so I am not able to lock it. The interior lick switch on the driver’s door only unlocks, but doesn’t lock. Same for the transponder. Any idea what may have caused this? And might there be a temporary workaround for locking the door? My most recent tasks involved insulating much of the vehicle. I also removed the rear interior courtesy light. I had remove the side courtesy light before, but to no detriment, so I don’t know that that’s the cause here. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

"There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars. ~Jack Kerouac

2017 Ram Promaster 1500 136" high roof, dual sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 05:51 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Thanked 1,074 Times in 881 Posts
Most likely a wire in the right rear door. They plastic sleeve the wires rum thru when the door is opened and closed tend to wear and break in some peoples vans causing a short.

There is a specific wire (I don’t recall the color code off the top of my head) that causes this signal and the results you are experiencing. Many people (including me) switch this wire to turn the backup camera on and off manually. There are many threads about this condition and how to cure it if you consult the archives.

You might also want to check & clean the contact strip on the left inside of the sliding door when it’s opened. There are 4 contacts that can become corroded or dirty and cause a similar problem. Just rub them clean with a scrubby if that’s the case.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
post #3 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 AM
SteveSS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Garage
Definitely nothing to do with removing (unplugging) the courtesy lights in the cargo area. I've disconnected both of them with no ill effects.

SteveSS
2017 3500 159 EXT gas, silver metallic. Shiny's build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 AM
KilWerBzz

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
When you open the sliding door, the c pillar has a button or plunger between the second and third contact. When you press this in, it signals the comp that the door is closed it could be missing or broken. As KOV said clean the contacts on the c panel and the door. There is an access panel on the inside if you need to mend some wires.
https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...1&d=1558795229
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SIDE DOOR SWITCH.jpg (51.5 KB, 8 views)

2014 Ram Promaster 2500 HR 159" Diesel
Bow to RA and offer him Cadmium Telluride and he shall reward you.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
BeWhereUR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks all for your help. I figured it out this morning. There is a button on the van body which is supposed to depress when the slider closes. There are also metallic sensors. On the door there are contacts which touch the sensors and also a piece of plastic which depresses the button when door is closed. That piece of plastic somehow broke off so the button wasn’t depressed (just me!). I took a piece of duct tape and taped down the button as a temporary fix. I had to make a butterfly shape with the tape so as to hold the button down without covering the contacts.

If anyone knows how to remove the rectangular part on the sliding door which holds the door components of this sensor system I’d like to remove it to be able to epoxy something there so the button will depress when the door closes (without duct tape).

Thanks again.

"There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars. ~Jack Kerouac

2017 Ram Promaster 1500 136" high roof, dual sliders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page