User Tag List

post #1 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
rumpus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
favorite inverter/charger?

Anyone have a brand and model of inverter/charger that they recommend, or maybe brands that they would specifically warn me away from? I'm looking at a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 for my build, the form-factor works well for what I'm doing in my van, and the features seem good. I probably won't be using it for shore power charging very often, and I'll have a separate solar controller/charger anyway, so another option would be for me to get a stand-along inverter and separate charger just for shore power. Any and all thoughts welcome and encouraged, thanks.

Last edited by rumpus; 05-25-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 02:44 PM
jostalli

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Garage
We are a dealer/installer for Victron Energy and that is what we use and recommend. We are also a dealer/installer for Mastervolt and do recommend their products but we now prefer Victron because they have a better overall product line. We like to stay with one manufacturer in each build if possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to jostalli For This Useful Post:
Aaron Geller (Today)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Thanked 1,074 Times in 881 Posts
A lot depends on how much and what you need an inverter for. Some people just assume they need the biggest and best when in actuality NO! I have a cheapie ($120) 2k watt one from HF that does everything I need it to do and it’s worked flawless for 5 years but all I use for is to run my microwave for maybe 10 minutes a day and my coffee maker for 5 minutes a day. I could spend big bucks an have bragging rights about my sleek, high performance, super heterodyne charger/inverter that does everything but rock me to sleep, but I don’t need it so I don’t. I hardly ever plug into the grid for anything as my 300 w of solar does all I need it to do and more and if the sun ain’t shinin’ The alternator is spinning.

Bottom line - get what you need, NOT what someone else needs

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 05:52 PM
uralwrench

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My own 110v needs are simple. I've been using a Renogy 400 watt PS inverter for a couple years now. It's been quiet and flawless. I've tested its output on my meter and it's cleaner power than my home gets from the power company!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 01:43 AM
Hein

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Take a look at Kisae. We are a dealer and have very good pricing on their products. They have a nice inverter charger and also a DC to DC charger that works with both alternator and solar input. Consider a 1000 watt inverter if you don't expect large loads. That is a better match to the 200Ah battery bank. Most people buy an inverter that is too large. That wastes power and requires larger cables and related items and thereby increases component and installation costs. There are a lot of great kitchen appliances that run on less than 1000watts. Small Insta Pot pressure cooker is great and doesn't release steam while it cooks.

Kisae 1000 watt inverter: http://www.kisaepower.com/products/a...hargers/model/
Kisae DMT 1250 DC-DC charger: http://www.kisaepower.com/products/b...odel-dmt-1250/

Also be aware that UL458 for mobile inverters allows the output voltage to be split between hot and neutral. So 60V on each. not 120-0 as is in a structure. These should never be hardwired to additional outlets.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
post #6 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 08:01 AM
proeddie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
What KOV said....

Harbor Freight 2000W inverter and a separate RV type charger/converter.... about $200

The only issue I had with the cheap inverter is that one brand of induction cooktop didn't get along with it, now I have a cheaper cooktop that works fine.

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum

Last edited by proeddie; 05-25-2019 at 08:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to proeddie For This Useful Post:
keeponvaning (05-25-2019)
post #7 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
rumpus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I suppose I could be a little more specific about my set-up, and what my needs are. Here's what I've got so far:

2) 150AH AGM batteries
roughly 400W solar (haven't actually purchased the panel yet)
Victron MPPT solar controller
Blue Sea ML-ACR for controlling connection to engine battery

I would likely be using the van mostly for long weekend excursions off-grid, but intend to sell the van at some point, and I feel that built-in shore power is a good feature. My own AC power needs are modest, some small device charging and running a laptop or two, but I'd like to build-in enough oomph to maybe run a small microwave or espresso machine for a few minutes. I'm thinking an all-in-one inverter/charger in the 1500w-2000w range, knowing full well that I don't have enough battery to produce those levels of power for very long. The transfer switch seems like a good feature, as does the multi-stage AGM changing that all the inverter/chargers seem to provide. I would prefer that the inverter be hard-wire to the dist. panel, and that the inverter be able to be powered-off so as not to draw power (or make noise) when not in use.

I'm expecting the solar to do most the of the charging work, and I'll connect to the engine batt while driving if I need an extra bump, as per KOV's suggestion (haven't decided yet if a B2B charger is necessary). Mostly I want the inverter to serve the basic AC runs throughout the van, but also have the option to power-up or charge from the grid via shore connection if needed.

There are a dizzying array of inverter/chargers available. I won't go the Harbor Freight (aka Hazard Fraught) route, but working up from there I see a lot of options in the $400-$700 range, and then a bunch of devices at well over $1k. I'm trying to keep the price moderate, but also don't want to make a bad choice and buy a real POS. In other words, looking more in the Kisae/Xantrex range rather than in Victron/Magnum land. Haven't heard much negative feedback on any particular brand yet, so maybe just making a choice based on size/features and price range is the way to go. Heck, if a HF inverter doesn't burst into flames immediately, then the rest have got to be reasonably reliable...

Last edited by rumpus; 05-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-25-2019, 06:50 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,294 Posts
Garage
I bought this: https://smile.amazon.com/Inverter-In...y&sr=8-1-spell
Comes with a good install kit and a remote so I don’t have to get to it to start it. It is MSW but has run everything I have tried. They make larger ones.

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
post #9 of 11 Old Today, 01:00 AM
RV8R

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Victron 12 / 3000 / 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpus View Post
Anyone have a brand and model of inverter/charger that they recommend, or maybe brands that they would specifically warn me away from? I'm looking at a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 for my build, the form-factor works well for what I'm doing in my van, and the features seem good. I probably won't be using it for shore power charging very often, and I'll have a separate solar controller/charger anyway, so another option would be for me to get a stand-along inverter and separate charger just for shore power. Any and all thoughts welcome and encouraged, thanks.
I bought a Victron 12 / 3000 / 120. ( volts / watts / charge amps )

I never installed it, as the battery drain for the 3000W was more than I wanted for my 250ahr batteries

https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva

Promaster
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 12:52 PM
nebulight

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
There are plenty of inexpensive Pure Sign Wave inverters, but most are high frequency so be aware of their limitations (they run hotter and cant handle surge well but they are much smaller). Xantrex makes GREAT inverters but come at a pretty high price too (though a little bit cheaper than Magnum and Victron).

Also keep in mind your battery bank size. You should never really draw more than .5c (which is the capacity of your battery in amp hours divided by the rate of discharge. Example 100ah battery discharging at 50 amps is .5c) from your battery for long term health. Since you stated you want a 1500-2000 watt inverter, at 2000watt at 12v you are drawing 166amps from the battery, that's before the conversion efficiency. Cheaper inverters are anywhere from 75-80% efficient. The more expensive inverters typically have an 85-90% efficiency, but lets just assume 85% efficiency. that 166 turns into 195 amps so we can just round up to 200 amps. Also keep in mind voltage drop with high discharge. With a small bank, you're going to have more voltage drop at higher discharge rates so you might trip your inverters low voltage disconnect with a smaller bank. For long term health of the battery, I would suggest no less than 400 amps of battery (regardless of chemistry)..

Now I do understand you said you have light loads, but you stated you plan to sell the van down the road. I wouldn't build a system that isn't up to snuff at it's rated capacity for long term use, even though YOU know the limitations, someone else might. Either go with a bigger batter bank, or a smaller inverter.

Current caretaker of the Backroader 159" wb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page