Ram Promaster Forum banner

Melted mess inside Promaster rear door panels

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  FreeWheelinTravel 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a new-to-me 2015 Promaster. I opened up the rear door panel covers and found a melted mess of silver insulation-like strips inside. Currently removing the strips and cleaning the walls, but I have questions.

1) What is this?
2) Why did it melt?
3) Do I need to replace this material, and if so with what?

Please forgive me if this is a newbie question. I tried searching but didn't find any info.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There's no brand name so it could be roof flashing that melted because of the sun. I'm guessing you got more in there.

#5 ·
Mine came with nothing in the rear doors.

It looks like the previous owner was experimenting, maybe it was scrap and just wanted to see if it worked.

#6 · (Edited)
This definitely not a factory sound deadening.
Factory material is light gray with asphalt like texture.
Looks like previous owner tried to save a few bucks and used a roof flashing instead of a proper sound deadening material.

You don't have to replace it with anything, especially if you are going to insulate using Thinsulate(r).

If you do decide to install something, I can recommend Noico brand. It's available on Amazon and is affordable.
Remember you need to cover ~20% of panels that might resonate (I use "Knuckle-Nock" test to choose where to stick it).

If you need more details let me know.

#8 ·
You don't have to replace it with anything, especially if you are going to insulate using Thinsulate(r).

If you do decide to install something, I can recommend Noico brand. It's available on Amazon and is affordable.
Remember you need to cover ~20% of panels that might resonate (I use "Knuckle-Nock" test to choose where to stick it).

If you need more details let me know.
Thank you! I was just looking at the Noico. Does it insulate as well as deaden sound? I'm mostly trying to keep the van cool in summer, I'm not trying to camp in below freezing temperatures.

#7 ·
Insides of my van were blank painted metal. I did take those panels off to put pieces of sound deadener in there plus insulation. That looks like cheap roof flashing the PO experimented with and it failed in the hot sun. Remove and forget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.