post #21 of 23 Old 05-04-2019, 01:20 AM
thatlukeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfix View Post

Also- the complete lack of torque at highway speeds (due to tall gearing needed to get even the 16MPG) means the bloody thing has to downshift 2-3 times every time it encounters even the slightest grade at 60MPH.

It's not a deal killer, but it doesn't make me love the van. My Sprinter, for all its rust and injector leaks, was a van I adored. This one is just a work truck. At least the heater is decent.
This was pretty weird for me too, although this is my first van and I figured maybe this is just the way it is. Very annoying though, especially in cruise control mode. I've found it to be less annoying if I have the Tow/Haul mode on when going through states that have a lot of up and down even on the highway. My understanding is that having it on all the time will lower the MPG even more however, so I don't use it around town.

2017 Promaster 1500, Gas, 136 WB LR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 05-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Bruceiam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Did you find any information on how they modified it to run on gasoline? Just technically curious. I found specs for the Natural Gas versin which clearly states its based on Diesel engine, but Im wondering if gasoline operation is more of a limp-home feature in case it runs out of natural gas, or if it could run indefinitely on gasoline. The 12.5 CR is a little high for a turbo gasoline engine.

https://www.fptindustrial.com/global...t&EngineId=204
The head would need to be modified to accept some form of spark ignition. Turbo boost could be dialed back during gasoline mode if at all depending on how it was injected (direct or otherwise).
post #23 of 23 Old 05-22-2019, 04:37 PM
Chance

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
The Euro Transit will not only have a 2.0L 4-cylinder diesel with 10-speed auto, but will have a 48-Volt mild hybrid option to go with it. According to Ford, the 48V mild hybrid option improves fuel economy in city driving by an additional 8%; which is over other improvements. I apologize if this has been brought up before.

Im not looking to own a diesel, but having a high-capacity 48V charging system is of interest. Knowing how the auto industry copy each other, it may not be that long before FCA offers a similar upgrade.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page