Electric plan review (I know, another one!) - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 24 Old 06-15-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
artbybam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electric plan review (I know, another one!)

Hello and I just want to say how awesome this forum is and especially the detailed information on here!
I’m working on our Promaster layout, electric and plumbing, and when that’s done, my partner will take over the actual construction, since he has quite a bit of experience with that.

I think I’m pretty close to something of value, but would really appreciate any input, observations and ideas so I can wrap this up and move on to the plumbing. Wheee.

Note: Our 2019 PM is a 159” high roof in a dark granite grey. My partner and I have named it Grey Matter , and I even made a page for it on my art website so people can follow along as we make a part time home for our hiking and travels. We decided we have the time and energy to do this project, rather than pay more for a lesser quality result.

A couple of items on our wish list:
- some solar, we probably would be off grid 3 days, longer if possible.
- probably propane for cooking and a water heater
- shower and portapotty were my must-haves
- a 12v fridge
- microwave (for reheating only)
- electric water pump
- we want to leave room on the roof for a (tiny) deck up there. That means only two solar panels, a maxx air fan and a future air conditioner up top. (it’s possible the future air conditioner will be shore power only)

Here’s my diagram so far- (attached)

Thanks in advance for helping us move from paper dreams to actual road time!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Van electric.pdf (117.4 KB, 43 views)

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Grey Matter build thread:
https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...d=1#post679623

Follow the painstakingly slow progress of Grey Matter here: https://artbybernadette.com/grey-matter/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 12:00 AM
RV8R

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbybam View Post
Hello and I just want to say how awesome this forum is and especially the detailed information on here!
I’m working on our Promaster layout, electric and plumbing, and when that’s done, my partner will take over the actual construction, since he has quite a bit of experience with that.

I think I’m pretty close to something of value, but would really appreciate any input, observations and ideas so I can wrap this up and move on to the plumbing. Wheee.

Note: Our 2019 PM is a 159” high roof in a dark granite grey. My partner and I have named it Grey Matter , and I even made a page for it on my art website so people can follow along as we make a part time home for our hiking and travels. We decided we have the time and energy to do this project, rather than pay more for a lesser quality result.

- a 12v fridge
- electric water pump
- we want to leave room on the roof for a (tiny) deck up there. That means only two solar panels, a maxx air fan and a future air conditioner up top. (it’s possible the future air conditioner will be shore power only)

Here’s my diagram so far- (attached)

Thanks in advance for helping us move from paper dreams to actual road time!
Hi Artbybam

I took a brief look. Im no expert & you will probably get more ideas/opinions here. Here are my thoughts

The Victron battery monitor gauge with have a shunt (battery side & “in my case ground to chassis”). Without a “common” ground (I used the chassis) you cant complete the circuit for the battery isolator ARC

The Victron Battery Monitor with bluetooth is a nice feature to get the info on your phone & also to setup

Im not familiar with much of the equipment you have choose. I can tell you I bought a charger/ac panel/dc panel all in one box.

http://parallaxpower.com/power-centers/

Have fun with “Grey Matter”

Promaster
The Following User Says Thank You to RV8R For This Useful Post:
artbybam (06-16-2019)
post #3 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 12:26 AM
RV8R

Garage
RD’s Cost Effective Design

Also

RD here has a very cost effective design that is worth considering, or considering & altering to your needs. It will show you some relationships with the equipment you are looking at
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B9F94248-2A9E-44F7-9053-082C70AF1A5C.jpeg (206.6 KB, 25 views)

Promaster
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RV8R For This Useful Post:
artbybam (06-16-2019), RDinNHandAZ (06-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
artbybam

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8R View Post
The Victron battery monitor gauge with have a shunt (battery side & “in my case ground to chassis”). Without a “common” ground (I used the chassis) you cant complete the circuit for the battery isolator ARC

The Victron Battery Monitor with bluetooth is a nice feature to get the info on your phone & also to setup

Im not familiar with much of the equipment you have choose. I can tell you I bought a charger/ac panel/dc panel all in one box.
http://parallaxpower.com/power-centers/

Have fun with “Grey Matter”
I see that detail in the Victron install guide. I didn’t show the complete connections for the Victron or the other monitors. Plan to show with more detail later.

The parallaxpower center looks like a nice option! I’ll check it out further.
Thanks RV8R!

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Follow the painstakingly slow progress of Grey Matter here: https://artbybernadette.com/grey-matter/
post #5 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
artbybam

(Thread Starter)
These kind of visual diagrams are so helpful for my inner artist that likes “pictures”.

Hope to have my next electric layout look more like this.
Thanks!

post #6 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 09:44 AM
RV8R

Garage
A Photo of My Install

I dont have a good photo handy of my install, but attached is an earlier photo before I “tidied up” the install

I will try to describe some of the runs here briefly;

Promaster Engine Alternator Charging;
existing 70Amp fuse on starter battery to Victron Battery Combiner (in photo) to switch

Positive House Battery (in photo) Red;
Battery post to 200amp fuse on battery post to switch

Negative House Battery (in photo) Black;
Battery post to “battery side” of the Victron BM shunt / other side of the shunt to ground “chassis”

Other Wiring Methods of My System;

1) The Manual switch has 4 functions; All Off / House Battery On Only / Started Battery On Only / Both House & Started Batteries On

2) The Manual switch has 3 lugs; battery lug 1 / battery lug 2 / load (which goes to my positive charge bus)

3) My Positive Charge bus has a 30amp fuse & then the positive red wire to my DC Panel

4) I used the “Ground Side” of my Victron Shunt as my Negative Charge Bus (I only have a couple of rings on it so I did not worry about an individual Negative Charge Bus)

Bus / Bus Cover / Battery Fuse Holder / Battery Fuse; All Marine Grade “Blue Sea”

All my wire is marine grade “corrosion resistant”

Some of the items & quality of the parts is not necessary. For me I look at the cost benefit & make decisions - I even get some of the decisions correct in my mind.

I tend to “over build” as a method of insurance (real or false one either finds out or never does). I try to have 360’ forethought, but have many blind spots.

You will get loads & loads of information on this forum (we all have opinions).

If I ever build another van (& I intend to as I am going to use up & mile out my 2018 as fas as I can), I could literally build it in 1/3rd of the time I took (which in my case was about 5 or 6 months in my spare time “part time”). Research & Understanding is the key. Don't be afraid of mistakes as we all DIYers make them (heck the Professionals all make them & the good Professionals are expert @ hiding their errors)

IMO one of the biggest advantages of DIY is the knowledge you have once you have completed (btw you never are completed)

Welcome to this Wonderful Sharing Community & All My Best to You for Your Buildout !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 41048171-00D3-497C-BA61-BEC392947A3A.jpeg (74.1 KB, 14 views)

Promaster
post #7 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 AM
RV8R

Garage
I re-read your design parameters;

I really think you would benefit from reviewing SteveSS build of “Shiny’s” buildout

I have personally seen “Shiny” recently as Steve & I live in the same city

Steve has lots of RV experience & has done a fantastic job of design & build. If I wanted a shower I would really consider his design, as once I saw it in person it made a lot of sense to me. Steve is also a very helpful guy & very humble

https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=61554

Check it out if you have time

Promaster

Last edited by RV8R; 06-16-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 11:06 AM
RV8R

Garage
Lightbulb Energy Management - My Biggest Mistake(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbybam View Post
I’m working on our Promaster layout, electric and plumbing

- a 12v fridge
- electric water pump
- we want to leave room on the roof for a (tiny) deck up there. That means only two solar panels, a maxx air fan and a future air conditioner up top. (it’s possible the future air conditioner will be shore power only!
One of My Biggest Mistakes in My Build; Was not understanding Energy Management. If I were to do it again I would separate my Needs/Wants into the following categories & solve the “Energy Management Requirements”

The Type of Energy & the Storage Tank; The house batteries are just a storage tank that you can only use a percentage of to get longterm use

Energy Tanks; House Batteries / Propane / Diesel / Gasoline / Other ?

btw your PM most likely has a aux fuel pickup already in your factory tank

All Energy Tanks have pros & cons. I prefer propane tanks to be outside the van, but have not come across a magic solution to my “want/preference”

Electrical;

12 volt (easy & I made everything 12volt that I could - I also have a converter not an inverter. A converter takes 120v shore power & converts it to 12 v)

120 volt (IF inverted from 12v batteries “very expensive & need loads of battery power if using inverters to “heat” or “cool” ) 2000W of 120v from a 12v battery (take the W divide by 10 to be safe) = 200amps btw it does not exactly work like that & some here may fault me for providing a overly simplified formula that is not accurate, however 12v inverted to 120v depending on the “efficiency” of the inverter, blaa, blaa, blaa you are going to need a huge battery bank & ability to “fill the tank”. I finally realized this too late in my build & the scene from “Jaws” came to my mind - You Are Gonna Need a Bigger Boat”

Something I am considering for Hot Water;

The Isotherm Spa Hot Water Tank; This uses heat from your engine to heat the hot water & also has a 700W 120v electric heating element. Again, check out SteveSS Shiny buildout

Conclusion; Energy Management & Design - Very Important

Promaster
post #9 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
artbybam

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Quote:
I will try to describe some of the runs here briefly;

Promaster Engine Alternator Charging;
existing 70Amp fuse on starter battery to Victron Battery Combiner (in photo) to switch

Positive House Battery (in photo) Red;
Battery post to 200amp fuse on battery post to switch

Negative House Battery (in photo) Black;
Battery post to “battery side” of the Victron BM shunt / other side of the shunt to ground “chassis”

Other Wiring Methods of My System;
1) The Manual switch has 4 functions; All Off / House Battery On Only / Started Battery On Only / Both House & Started Batteries On
2) The Manual switch has 3 lugs; battery lug 1 / battery lug 2 / load (which goes to my positive charge bus)
3) My Positive Charge bus has a 30amp fuse & then the positive red wire to my DC Panel
4) I used the “Ground Side” of my Victron Shunt as my Negative Charge Bus (I only have a couple of rings on it so I did not worry about an individual Negative Charge Bus)

Bus / Bus Cover / Battery Fuse Holder / Battery Fuse; All Marine Grade “Blue Sea”
All my wire is marine grade “corrosion resistant”

Some of the items & quality of the parts is not necessary. For me I look at the cost benefit & make decisions - I even get some of the decisions correct in my mind.

I tend to “over build” as a method of insurance (real or false one either finds out or never does). I try to have 360’ forethought, but have many blind spots.

You will get loads & loads of information on this forum (we all have opinions).

If I ever build another van (& I intend to as I am going to use up & mile out my 2018 as fas as I can), I could literally build it in 1/3rd of the time I took (which in my case was about 5 or 6 months in my spare time “part time”). Research & Understanding is the key. Don't be afraid of mistakes as we all DIYers make them (heck the Professionals all make them & the good Professionals are expert @ hiding their errors)

IMO one of the biggest advantages of DIY is the knowledge you have once you have completed (btw you never are completed)

Welcome to this Wonderful Sharing Community & All My Best to You for Your Buildout !!
Appreciate the image and detailed info with it. I’ll sit down and see what I can absorb.
We do want to overbuild, as well as do it correctly. Although we are getting a bit antsy to get started on the “good stuff”.
I know, patience and planning pay off!

I did find some info on the fuel tank aux pickup. That makes me reconsider a webasto heater, for 12v usage.

Thanks for the welcome! There’s lots of good people on here and I’m looking forward to finding out how much I don’t know!

post #10 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
artbybam

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I re-read your design parameters;

I really think you would benefit from reviewing SteveSS build of “Shiny’s” buildout

I have personally seen “Shiny” recently as Steve & I live in the same city

Steve has lots of RV experience & has done a fantastic job of design & build. If I wanted a shower I would really consider his design, as once I saw it in person it made a lot of sense to me. Steve is also a very helpful guy & very humble

https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=61554

Check it out if you have time
On it! With so much good info on here, it gets a little challenging to know which ones are helpful at the stage we’re at.
Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page