User Tag List

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Pnieder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hidden bath-shower

Thought I'd share this one element of my 159" build: a hidden tub/shower. We never used the shower stall in our old Chinook for several reasons, and Stephanie would sometimes take sponge baths on the floor with a dishwashing basin, When I ran across this 2'x3' tub/shower base at a local RV surplus store, the light went on.

I built it under her bed (we have twin beds in the forward section), and it has a lift-up lid. I used some swing-away curtain rods for the shower curtains. The shower wand attaches to a diverter on the kitchen sink. We have a 4 gallon Isotemp Spa heater, that sits just ahead of the tub.

It works very well. We don't use it daily, but it's very handy for when we want it. It drains into the 9.5 gallon gray water tank that I built out of a length of 6" PVC sewer piper, hung under the floor.

Full detailed writeup of the whole van is here: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto-...usual-details/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Promaster 104.jpg (471.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Promaster 099.jpg (501.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Promaster 100.jpg (498.1 KB, 30 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pnieder For This Useful Post:
DonInLasVegas (06-14-2019), GaryBIS (06-14-2019), MXHauler (06-16-2019), phil (06-13-2019), travelvanvan (06-13-2019), uralwrench (06-15-2019), VanDiesel (06-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Thanked 1,041 Times in 745 Posts
If I had had the 159”, and thus the floor space, I would have had something like that, except the walls would be higher.

www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com

Website detailing my build: msnomersvan.wordpress.com

2014 White 136" HT 1500 Gas
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 PM
dan04mcs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good idea.

Another way,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 PM
gdpetti

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I've been thinking of this... toilet undercounter flip-up countertop next to the sink to use its tap... maybe shower setup... maybe.... with some sort of curtain that pulls up... never thought of under the bed. Do you have a toilet setup in this?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 AM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Thanked 1,041 Times in 745 Posts
I would have a flip up in the counter, 4 hooks on the ceiling. (I do not understand the fixation with rods and rings, which are so unnecessary and introduce unnecessary folds in the curtain. Straight flat walls are easy to wipe down.) There would be some sort of storage unit that rolls out of the way so that the space is not wasted 95% of the time.

www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com

Website detailing my build: msnomersvan.wordpress.com

2014 White 136" HT 1500 Gas
post #6 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 PM
gdpetti

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was thinking both... this type of toilet under the foldup countertop, only wetbath style... pullup curtain with hooks or whatever... haven't gotten that far.

With this combo, no space for storage... toilet takes priority IMO.... shower as an option to use or not, but if setup in the build, later use would be simplified.

Pnieder.. did you think of making it standup? if not, why not? security/privacy concerns? or if not used much, do you still think it was worth it? Hmmm... I was thinking of a sitdown wetbath style 'shower'.... which would fit in this space of yours... I think. I've going thru your build page now..... I was looking at a Chinook early on... Bob on CheapRVLiving had a guy with one... like a 2002 model or ? forget the vehicle length, but it was a small RV... more of a B+ right? or small C... Do you use that sliding door much? I did like the Chinooks back door access on that model type... I think there was a side door model of them as well? Going back to finish your buildpage.

Last edited by gdpetti; 06-15-2019 at 10:11 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Pnieder

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The reason for not stand-up? I didn't want to build a whole shower stall, because of the dedicated space and complications. We don't use this daily; it's essentially a back-up to a) not bathing for a day or two; b) finding a shower in a campground or truck stop, c) swimming in a river or lake.

But it works very well. Stephanie used to take sponge baths, and this is a big step up from that. We're very happy with it; it suits us well. To each their own.

We hardly ever use the sliding side door when camping, except maybe at a beautiful spot to open up to the scenery on that side. I do use it when I use the van as a work van, after taking out the bed. I can haul appliances, tools, materials, etc.

Our "composting" toilet is at the very back of the van. It does have a flip-down counter that expands the galley space.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page