User Tag List

post #1 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Blakelpd5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Not able to fuel up!!!

I have searched, and haven't found anyone else with this problem, so I'll be the first to post.

I have over 1,100 miles on the odometer now, and have noticed since day 1 that I had an issue with the fuel guage.

Well, come to find out, it's not the fuel gage, its the promaster not accepting the fuel. The second I drove off the lot, the needle went below "F", and I figured they were pinching pennys. Well, ever since, I can't get any pump (tried 5 different stations), to fuel my promaster. It gets less than 1/10th of a gallon in before it clicks off like it's full. In Oregon, where fuel is NOT self serve, the fuel attendants get pissy, and to be honest, so do I. I end up apologizing repeatedly, and telling them I'll sit there and babysit it myself.

I've tried every combo possible, Holding the handle at every angle, applying all different types of pressure to the handle, etc, etc...

Anyone else????

BTW, I do love this van so far!!! Just picked up a 3-seater sprinter seat to mount in the back for more seating!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 AM
makevx73

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakelpd5 View Post
I have searched, and haven't found anyone else with this problem, so I'll be the first to post.

I have over 1,100 miles on the odometer now, and have noticed since day 1 that I had an issue with the fuel guage.

Well, come to find out, it's not the fuel gage, its the promaster not accepting the fuel. The second I drove off the lot, the needle went below "F", and I figured they were pinching pennys. Well, ever since, I can't get any pump (tried 5 different stations), to fuel my promaster. It gets less than 1/10th of a gallon in before it clicks off like it's full. In Oregon, where fuel is NOT self serve, the fuel attendants get pissy, and to be honest, so do I. I end up apologizing repeatedly, and telling them I'll sit there and babysit it myself.

I've tried every combo possible, Holding the handle at every angle, applying all different types of pressure to the handle, etc, etc...

Anyone else????

BTW, I do love this van so far!!! Just picked up a 3-seater sprinter seat to mount in the back for more seating!!
There were some complaints about not being able to fill the tank completely a while back, maybe around Sept. or Oct. Folks were complaining about always appearing to be about two gallons short after the pump kicked off. I don't think anybody ever figured out why? You might do a search here on the forum for threads on that.
post #3 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Moonwalker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had a problem like that a few years ago with a sedan, and my ace mechanic figured out that it was plastic molding in the "fill" pipe at the seams between sections of the pipe that were obstructing the flow of fuel into the tank. He fixed it by removing the fill pipe and "root-rooting the fill pipe which removed the excess "plastic" at the seams. This excess was "backing up" the flow and causing the pump to "think" the tank was full. Problem fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Domitype

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Mine is touchy, I cannot fill at 100% flow and it clicks off regularly. If I hold the valve at 50% or so it will get mostly full but it takes a long time. This seems like a venting problem - maybe something in the tank emissions control system? I doubt it is a problem with Ducatos, they probably have a different set-up.
post #5 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Pete's PM Plumbing

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitype View Post
Mine is touchy, I cannot fill at 100% flow and it clicks off regularly. If I hold the valve at 50% or so it will get mostly full but it takes a long time. This seems like a venting problem - maybe something in the tank emissions control system? I doubt it is a problem with Ducatos, they probably have a different set-up.
Mine will have problems occasionally too. It seems to depend on how high the flow is set on whatever pump I am using. Sometimes it works flawlessly and if I try to squeek in a little more it overflows. Other times it will constantly trip the automatic stop. Usually it can be avoided on these higher flowing pumps by just setting the nozzle one notch slower. We also have vapor recovery pumps in WI, so we're not supposed to try to top off the tank once the pump shuts off automatically. I have to say though, I have never seen my gauge go down below empty. Maybe I just haven't been enough of a gambler.
post #6 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 10:08 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Thanked 1,103 Times in 905 Posts
Same here. Different pumps do differnt things it seems. I also had a car that did the same thing and it was caused by a bad oxygen sensor, believe it or not! A bad charcoal canister filter in the gas tank or defective fill pipe will cause a similar problem.

A warrentte claim for sure is in order!"

Last edited by keeponvaning; 12-13-2014 at 10:10 AM.
post #7 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Dwight

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Fouled charcoal canister comes from packing gas in the tank. It's wise to never pump more after it clicks off.
post #8 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Storming

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Fouled charcoal canister comes from packing gas in the tank. It's wise to never pump more after it clicks off.
I've been topping off my tank for 10+ years in about 5-6 different vehicles from a 2006 Scion XA with 11.9gallon tank I can get 1 extra gallon of gas in that. Also have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel with 34 gallon tank and can get 2 extra gallons in that. I have never had or know of having a bad charcoal canister on any of my vehicles!
post #9 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Master Plumber

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i just filled mine for the first time, it was very touchy. I had to reduce flow on nozzle and break vapor recovery seal with my finger as i filled tank. I did manage to get in 19 gallons.
post #10 of 74 Old 12-13-2014, 07:13 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,312 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storming View Post
I've been topping off my tank for 10+ years in about 5-6 different vehicles from a 2006 Scion XA with 11.9gallon tank I can get 1 extra gallon of gas in that. Also have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel with 34 gallon tank and can get 2 extra gallons in that. I have never had or know of having a bad charcoal canister on any of my vehicles!
You have been lucky, let us know when you have to replace one and the cost. I hear $350+. I'll stop when it shuts off thanks, as long as it seems a reasonable amount is in the tank. I learned on both my German motorcycles that it can happen. You'd be surprised what BMW thinks they're worth! Fiat probably thinks they are worth less. Keep your fingers crossed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page