User Tag List

post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Bruces Water

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bad knock sensors?

Has anyone else had their knock sensor go out? It is in a really bad place to change a 16.00 part! Is it from a coolant leak on it or from rain water getting on engine? Any help appreciated. Thanks Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 PM
travelvanvan

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces Water View Post
Has anyone else had their knock sensor go out? It is in a really bad place to change a 16.00 part! Is it from a coolant leak on it or from rain water getting on engine? Any help appreciated. Thanks Bruce
Just curious, where is the part? Any pictures of its location? (Sorry I don't have an answer for you.)

Ordered Feb 2018, arrived Sept 2018. 159-inch WB regular length, high top, 3.6L gas, both driver's and passenger-side sliding doors. Planning to lightly camper-ize it for spontaneous and free-spirited travel!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 PM
phil

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces Water View Post
You may be the first to post about knock sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 PM
phil

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelvanvan View Post
Just curious, where is the part? Any pictures of its location? (Sorry I don't have an answer for you.)
The Following User Says Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:
travelvanvan (06-12-2019)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Bruces Water

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
That is where they are located and you have to pull the intake manifolds to get to them but as noted in that video you want to make sure not to get the antifreeze in the oil and visa versa. Just wondering if that is the area for the mysterious coolant smell we are all getting that Chrysler can’t find. That the steam from the coolant is taking out the sensor, that is not cover by the power train or emissions warranty and the intake manifold may have to be cut off because of the cowling leak onto the engine. Thanks Bruce
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Kip-on-truckin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
To the best of my knowledge, the knock sensors cant get contaminated from coolant. And coolant is unlikely to be where they are because if it was, it would be showing up in your oil.

The more likely source of a knock sensor problem is the wiring to the sensor. I have had 3 instances now of rodents chewing on the wiring, causing problems.

Because the wiring for the sensors exits under the intake manifold at the bellhousing side of the engine, it is possible to test the wiring there for signal. A competent tech should be able to do this easily with a scope. Worth the money in diagnostic to know if you need to take the intake off or not.

In 2014 when the van was released, many of us had a warranty cooling loss/smell issue, which was the radiator itself weeping at the passenger side of the core support. This problem was solved with new radiators, and I havent had a problem since.

I do, however, lose coolant slowly on both my vans. Cannot for the life
of me figure out where it’s going. There is some smell, but not much. And I’ve chosen just to keep topping
It up rather than find and fix it.

A growing fleet, you may call me Admiral: 2014 3500 159"extended gas, and a 2014 2500 136" gas
The Following User Says Thank You to Kip-on-truckin For This Useful Post:
travelvanvan (06-12-2019)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page