post #1 of 33 Old 05-31-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
word

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electrical plan

Hey all,

I'm planning out the electrical for my 159" high roof build out. The design is still a work in progress but I have the diagram and components listed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

The quick overview:
  • A single 275-325W solar panel going to an MPPT charge controller
  • 4 golf cart batteries wired in series-parallel
  • Either an ACR or a B2B charger for alternator charging
  • A 1500W or 2000W sine wave inverter hardwire to a few outlets
My plan for now is to get the DC portion of my build up and running and take a short trip in the van and iron out any bugs. Then come back a month later and install the inverter and 120v receptacles. I'll rough in the conduit for the 120V before I install my wall paneling so that I don't have to tear out my walls to add 120V.

My main questions right now are:
  • Should I ground my negative common to the vehicle chassis? Or connect my negative common to the vehicle battery negative... or both? My thoughts right now are to just run a 0 AWG wire to the vehicle battery.
  • With 4 (flooded lead acid) golf cart batteries, what should I be fusing my ACR to? 80A? I know the Promaster alternator puts out around 14.1V - 14.2V, but I'm not sure how high the charge current can get with 4 golf cart batteries in series-parallel.
How does this all look? I'm hoping for some feedback on my overall design and fuse sizes. Also, if you take a look through my spreadsheet I've included a voltage drop calculator --- you should be able to copy my spreadsheet and use the voltage drop calculator for your own planning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-31-2019, 12:33 PM
SteveSS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Garage
I always have to remind myself that wire gauge and length determine current capacity, and that the fuse just protects the wire. Depending on SOC (state of charge %), I've assumed our 500Ah AGM bank can take just about all the current our 220A alternator can normally produce. It's output is rated at 120A, which is also about the max anyone here has observed. So I sized the ACR (battery isolator) cable to handle 120A over it's 12ft length (2/0 AWG) and fused it at 120A. I carry extra fuses just in case the alternator gets over ambitious. As you said, you first need to determine how much current your FLA bank can accept, over the SOC range you anticipate. I believe AGM have a higher current acceptance than FLA, just not sure about the FLA details myself.

I assume your grounding question also relates to the ACR. The rest of your coach circuits only need to be grounded to the coach bank, which need not involve the chassis or starter battery. Some prefer to run a their ACR ground back to the starter battery itself. But it's also possible to use the chassis as the ground (return) path, as long as you can make a good reliable contact. I didn't want to run another 12ft of 2/0 back to the battery, so I coopted one of the floor tie-down bolts. I removed the paint at the contact point and also applied dielectric grease. If it ever fails, I know right where to look.

SteveSS
2017 3500 159 EXT gas, silver metallic. Shiny's build thread

Last edited by SteveSS; 06-01-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-31-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
word

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info Steve. My rough assumption is that the charge current at a given SOC is roughly proportional to your amp-hour capacity. And with the higher internal resistance of the flooded lead acid compared to AGM I'm hoping I can get away with 80A for my 400AH battery bank.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has run the same configuration of batteries as me about what charge current they're getting from the alternator, or what they're fusing the ACR at.

Yes, I'm referring specifically where to run the return path for the ACR to the house battery. I may sand some paint down to bare metal and try and test the resistance with a voltmeter. It seems that a lot of other folks here have had good results with just running the return path through the chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 05-31-2019, 05:51 PM
nebulight

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't run the return path back to the starter as you should be able to ground to one of the tie down bolts.

As for fuse size, fuse at the starting battery (there is a slot for a MEGA fuse, use that) and at the relay for the size of wire you plan to run. If you're thinking 80 amps, I'd fuse to 100 amps and run 2 awg wire.

Current caretaker of the Backroader 159" wb
post #5 of 33 Old 06-01-2019, 12:04 AM
KNDLKSTMS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
There are "grounding studs" all over inside and outside of the van . Star washers and some dielectric grease will make good connections .
One less wire to mess with .

2016 118" White Gasser
post #6 of 33 Old 06-01-2019, 07:39 AM
eric1514

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I would make sure to put a shunt between the negative buss bar and the battery neg pole so that you can install a battery monitor like a Victron or Trimetric in to the system.

2015 Travato 59g.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
word

(Thread Starter)
Good call on the shunt. Any recommendations on a battery monitor?
post #8 of 33 Old 06-01-2019, 07:40 PM
eric1514

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by word View Post
Good call on the shunt. Any recommendations on a battery monitor?
I have the Bogart Trimetric RV2030. It's a solid piece but the display and overall appearance is dated. I'm OK with it but the Victron is definitely more modern and has some features the Bogart lacks like BT. If I had to do it again, I would by the Victron.

2015 Travato 59g.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,294 Posts
Garage
I hesitate to comment on design because you have given no hint about what you plan to do with the electrical system. That is a lot of FLA power. Something like 430+- A-H at 12 volts! It might be you will need very little alternator charging, or a lot. Who knows?

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-02-2019, 09:01 PM
GaryBIS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
hi,
I have two golf cart batteries in series to make 12 volts -- 215 amp-hrs.

The most charging current I have seen is 38 amps and that only briefly -- so, probably fine with the 80 amp fuse. I would definitely not go lower. I am using 60 amps in that line for my two golf cart batteries (wire sized for 60 amps with small voltage drop).

You can use chassis grounds for the return paths to all the DC loads and to the van battery. I ran full size return wires for everything -- this was just for long term reliability. Ground connects to the chassis have to be very good, and even so, they can corrode over time and create electrical problems that are subtle. But, either scheme works. If you run return path wires, you still need to ground the neg terminal of the battery for safety reasons -- does not have to be a huge wire.
I would say that no matter what you do on other circuits, you do want a full size return on the run from the house battery to inverter -- the current is very large and just a little return (ground) path resistance is bad. Also good to place inverter as close to house battery as possible.

From your diagram, its hard to tell where you plan to put the van battery side fuse on the line from van battery to the ACR -- it should be as close to the van battery as possible, otherwise it does not protect the wire.

If you don't use an Inverter/Charger, then read up on where the AC side ground is tied to the neutral. When on shore power is back in the campground system when running off inverter, its inside the van. Inverter/Chargers do the shift automatically, but withe separate inverter and charger, you have to take of the switch over yourself via a transfer switch or the like. Its a safety issue, so you want to get it right.

Gary

136 WB PM, high roof, 1500, gasser, 2014.
SW Montana
www.BuildAGreenRV.com
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryBIS For This Useful Post:
travelvanvan (06-03-2019)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page