Diesel transmission past 100k w/o problems? - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 30 Old 10-21-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
2much2c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Diesel transmission past 100k w/o problems?

Like most forums you hear more about the bad than good. After reviewing all of the AMT transmission complaints I walk away thinking the clutch actuators will absolutely fail by the 100k mark. Anyone out there with a high mileage diesel that doesn’t have transmission issues. I only have 21k on mine but have been spared of any mechanical issues ( 2015). My rig is for personal use and I “feather” the clutch by letting off the gas when it shifts. I’m not sure if you could actually abuse the clutch. Maybe with a full load and burying the gas pedal to the floor? I bought the diesel for longevity and torque. It’d be a shame if the transmission forced me to prematurely sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2much2c For This Useful Post:
xNateX (10-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-28-2018, 07:48 AM
BillMac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
115K, zero issues with the Trans or clutch. Good mix of highway/city traffic and I occasionally tow a 3500lbs trailer of Dirtbikes.

1st PM 2015 118" Diesel-Bought 4/15 Got sick 5/15 1400 miles returned to FCA 10/15
2nd one 2016 136" LR Diesel 10/15, work in progress. Moto Hauler, camper and daily driver
The Following User Says Thank You to BillMac For This Useful Post:
xNateX (10-30-2018)
post #3 of 30 Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,294 Posts
Garage
61K, no issues.

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
The Following User Says Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
xNateX (10-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 PM
xNateX

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
bulletproofing the AMT?

I was just dropping in to start a new thread asking if the AMT tranny can be bulletproofed, and if so, how, when I saw your thread.

I too am starting to believe that the AMT is problematic for longevity (the tranny going bad seems to be THE reoccuring theme in the diesel subforum and/or diesel owners). One of the great things about a traditional manual clutch is that if and when it needed to be replaced, it was generally inexpensive to do so, much more so than an automatic. That feature is now gone with the AMT. When mine was replaced under warranty at 20k miles, I asked the service manager how much it would have cost me out-of-pocket. His reply? "About $15,000." Perhaps his reply was over the top, but even half that - that some people HAVE paid out-of-pocket, would SEVERELY dampen my spirits.

When are such other big components like engines just entirely replaced as they are with the AMT? Why not just replace the actuators (that's what failed on mine - and I got a brand new tranny)? But more importantly, is there anything that can be done prior to - to avoid that scenario in the first place?

2016 diesel, high roof EXT. New DEF pump at 6k miles, new transmission at 20k.

Last edited by xNateX; 10-29-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-30-2018, 12:45 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,294 Posts
Garage
Just drive it. I know we have had a few transmission issues but early failures are handled by the dealer and there is no way anyone should spend that kind of money when it eventually does fail. The actuators have been replaced on vans without replacing the transmission so it seems it is done. Reports of lots of failures by first hand owners here are not happening. The reports we are hearing are by posters who have had lots of other issues so there may be reasons we are not hearing about. They are generally mad and trashing the van as a whole. It is not a bad van but they have had a bad experience and I understand but they occupy a lot of forum space and count as one van not the whole fleet even if they say it is. They are hurting due to their bad experience. Second or third hand reports are like your mechanics figure. I just take them with a grain of salt.
At stop lights I put the van in neutral. It is a manual, I do that with all my clutched vehicles even my motorcycles. I also do that with all the automatics I have ever had. Does it help? Who knows but my 235K 4runner is on its first unopened transmission, my 165K Suzuki Grand Vitara same and my former F150 225K ditto.
Use manual when it is called for. Slow up and down mountain and desert roads, inching in traffic etc. It’s brain gets confused when in these situations and you can help it.
Don’t over torque it unnecessarily as this M40 transmission was mated to an engine that had to be detuned some to get the torque within its capabilities. If you wind up the turbo and force a bunch of high torque shifts you may shorten its life. Do I know you will? No, just me being me.
Remember a few owners with bad experiences can dedicate lots of time to getting even with a company they feel has wronged them by telling their story over and over. I would too, but the attention can make the problem seem way out of proportion to reality.
Relax, enjoy your diesel van. Smile when the robot shifts it for you. Let the miles add up and think pure thoughts (or unpure ones- it won’t make any difference.)

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
The Following User Says Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
xNateX (10-30-2018)
post #6 of 30 Old 10-30-2018, 03:35 PM
xNateX

I too would like to see this thread grow with diesel owners posting their mileage and transmission experiences.

I think we tend to be enthusiasts on this site; most of the commercial owners with a vested interest have little time or inclination to discuss the particulars of their daily grind in their free time on this site. In that manner, it may be worth taking our own perspectives with a grain of salt

Last edited by xNateX; 10-30-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: off topic
post #7 of 30 Old 10-30-2018, 03:48 PM
LoppEar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2015, 104k (2nd owner, all service by dealer) no transmission issues in carfax or in our 15k.
The Following User Says Thank You to LoppEar For This Useful Post:
xNateX (10-30-2018)
post #8 of 30 Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Thanked 1,074 Times in 881 Posts
xNatex, yes your video is way off topic and thus has nothing to do with Promasters or transmissions and that is why I deleted your uTube link. The Promaster forum exists to discuss Promasters and their uses, anything else belongs in another forum more suitable to its content.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
The Following User Says Thank You to keeponvaning For This Useful Post:
xNateX (10-30-2018)
post #9 of 30 Old 10-30-2018, 05:48 PM
xNateX

One more thing. For those of you so kind as to post your mileage and experiences with your diesel transmission, please also include the out-of-pocket expense you have incurred to date with it. It's one thing if the transmission is potentially problematic, it's another to know what kind of costs that's likely to incur.

post #10 of 30 Old 10-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Chance

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2c View Post
.....cut..... Itíd be a shame if the transmission forced me to prematurely sell it.
Itís too bad there are not more vehicles with the same transmission in North America, because as these vehicles get older, sourcing transmission parts may get tough unless imported from Europe.

Iím curious if you found information during your research on whether itís practical or possible to convert the AMT to a true manual with a clutch pedal.

I donít have an opinion on PM transmission other than itís not for me ó I like more control and simpler stuff. Iíve driven rented Ford cars with dual-clutch automated transmissions, and while I really like the fast shifts, I donít care at all for the rough launch. Itís very jerky. Iím curious if PM AMT launches smoothly from a full stop?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page