User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
eugenesan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Yet another Diesel/Gas heater thread

I am planning Diesel heater installation and after searching the forums, I still have quite a few questions:

1. There seems to be a shortage of 2Kw models, at least the ones with good reviews are all 5Kw nowadays, any ideas why? Maybe someone can point a reputable source for a 2Kw model supplier?

2. There are several documented installations of 2Kw models (Chinese, Webasto, and Espar) but I couldn't find anything about 5Kw models. Do they fit under the front seat as 2Kw models do?

3. People who removed spare tire kit from under the passenger seat, where did you relocate it? Did you find a good spot for it elsewhere?

4. Not willing to spend a fortune on a brand name Gasoline heater in my Gasoline van, I am forced to have an auxiliary Diesel tank. What are the options for its location (assuming I do not want the filling nozzle inside, to avoid a possible disaster in case of spillage while re-filling the tank)?

5. I was thinking about acquiring a DEF tank (with filling nozzle etc) and using it as an auxiliary fuel tank for a heater. What do you think? Is the location for DEF tank unused in Gasoline models? What is the size/capacity of DEF tank? Do you think DEF tank can contain Diesel fuel?
The Following User Says Thank You to eugenesan For This Useful Post:
heregoesnothing (05-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 11:06 PM
phil

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
4. I put a 5L tank in the engine compartment.

5. The vapor canister occupies the DEF tank location so that's not going to work.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
eugenesan

(Thread Starter)
Is this how you did that: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...1&postcount=21 ?From the picture I can't figure how is it secured in place. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
5. The vapor canister occupies the DEF tank location so that's not going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 PM
phil

Yep, that's mine, it just sits there, it can't move anywhere once the hood is down.

Some people may need to carry more, but right now this amount works for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:
eugenesan (05-14-2019), JohnnyRambles (05-15-2019)
post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 AM
JohnnyRambles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post

^^^^This would have saved me SOOOO much grief!

My Espar is just behind the drivers seat. To make it work I ended up having a small aluminum tank custom fabricated to fit between the drivers side frame rails.

2015 159" Gas Promaster (RV Build in Progress)
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM
gdpetti

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That 5L tank doesn't look big enough to be 5L... looks tiny in that photo... no wonder I barely passed the vision test last time... from that photo, it looks like a bigger 10L tank would fit in there, no? Maybe one sized for that area? which would most likely NOT come with the product.

So, the diesel works that much better than the 'gas' one? Aren't there 'Chinese' models copying that as well at reduced prices? Or do people prefer the diesel for better perfomance?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 PM
phil

I'm not paying the higher price for a gas heater just for the convenience. Hundred bucks and some change you got yourself a diesel heater. Sips fuel.

That fuel tank is only 1.3 gal. nothing bigger will fit in that spot, objects protrude here and there, so it has to sit at that angle.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
eugenesan

(Thread Starter)
Probably there are Gasoline powered Chinese heaters but I couldn't find any for sale from a reputable source.

There are reports of Diesel heaters working with Gasoline but there are also a few reports that heaters marked as a Gasoline working only with Diesel.
Seems like at the moment, chinese Diesel heaters are the only sure and cheap option...until someone will find a working Gasoline one :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpetti View Post
So, the diesel works that much better than the 'gas' one? Aren't there 'Chinese' models copying that as well at reduced prices? Or do people prefer the diesel for better perfomance?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM
cahaak

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
None of the Chinese diesel heaters work with gasoline - they are set up for diesel. If you have a chance search for the Chinese diesel heater series of vids on youtube. There are 15+ of them by John McKay I believe where he tests, diagnoses, and disassembles them so you can really see what is going on with them. It is an excellent series. As he notes, all of the Espar clones are more or less the same and parts are available, but most are the 5KW size. They have certain run issues that need to be followed and if done correctly they are very durable and will last a long time.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 12:16 PM
SteveSS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Garage
RE: fuel tank locations. When I was last underneath our PM, I noticed there was quite a bit of space forward of the left-front wheel well, near the frame extension supporting the bumper. It might even accommodate a 10-ltr tank. You would need to extend its fill neck upward to provide under-hood access. That's a fairly vulnerable spot, but unlike gasoline, diesel won't explode in a crash.

SteveSS
2017 3500 159 EXT gas, silver metallic. Shiny's build thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page