Another Cheap Chinese 12V Refrigerator - Ausranvik APR-50B - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
wnybiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Another Cheap Chinese 12V Refrigerator - Ausranvik APR-50B

A couple of weeks ago there was a long thread about a Costway 52 Quart refrigerator, wondering if it was any good. I have been researching refrigerators for a long time, since I wanted to put one in after my solar setup was complete. Well, I completed that (and will post more about it in my build thread soon), and I had narrowed down my choices to a Dometic CF-50, because it was the right size and, most importantly, the door opened the right way (hinged on the long axis, not the short one) so it could fit under my bed but still be opened fully. But it's $825, and I had a hard time paying that.

So I looked at the different Chinese alternatives on Amazon and settled on this one:

It is a metal Chinese model with decent reviews for $369. Most important for me, it has a hinge that goes either way. I received it on Friday, plugged it in, and went on a three day trip to Teddy Roosevelt National Park, four hours from where I'm staying. Here's what I experienced:

The fridge has two power modes: "Eco" and "Max". On "Max" it took about 30 minutes to cool it from 66 to 30 degrees F, empty. I put in 20 12 oz cans, half cool, half warm, and it took another 30-45 minutes to finish cooling those off. Power consumption on a relatively cool (60 degree) day was 50-75 watts (~4-6 amps) while it was running. Both "Eco" and "Max" modes were relatively quiet - it sounded like a dorm fridge, maybe a little quieter, without the vibration-I had no problem sleeping through the night with it running. "Eco" also has an occasional sound like water flowing through pipes.

I switched it to "eco" for the trip. At room temp (70), it ran once or twice per hour, consuming 35-50 watts (3-4 amps). I set the temp to 35 degrees, and it would cool down to 33 and warm up to 41 before kicking in. (I had it at 33 initially, but I saw it dip to 30 and was concerned it would freeze.)

The cans of beer and seltzer stayed cold without freezing. The unit has a removable wire basket (well made) where I stored the small amount of food that I was taking for the short trip. That food included a bagged salad that did not freeze.

Today, I left the fridge on in the closed up van with about 20 cans of cold seltzer and beer. I checked on it periodically - it was 80 degrees and sunny, and the interior of the van reached 102 degrees. Once I saw "eco" mode pulling 70 watts, but the fridge remained cool (between 33-41) and it was not running constantly.

The build quality seems good - the handles could perhaps be a little more beefy, but otherwise it is metal inside and out. The lid also seems sturdy enough to sit on. It was well packed and had no shipping damage.

The manual is good enough and includes instructions on how to set a number of parameters like the temperature ranges (how many degrees above the set temp it will kick in) and other stuff I'd probably never touch. One thing that isn't documented is the battery shut off voltages, but support got right back to me with that (low 9.6, med 10.1, hi 11.1). Apparently some GoalZero units don't work well with some refrigerators because they don't supply a steady 12 volts, so I set the fridge to low and haven't had any problems.

Obviously, durability is the final test, and I'll post any updates on that front to this thread. The pictures in the Amazon posting are accurate but I took a couple more in case someone was interested:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190514_083152.jpg (783.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190514_083228.jpg (747.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190514_083214.jpg (811.0 KB, 10 views)

2019 Promaster 1500 High Top
Wayfarer "Walter" Conversion

Last edited by wnybiker; 05-14-2019 at 09:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnybiker For This Useful Post:
GuyT (05-15-2019), phil (05-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 AM
GuyT
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
By reading you review, I can only see 2 points where the Engel would win over the Costway: my Engel is probably a bit quieter and a has an almost unbreakable mechanical closing device. But is it worth the $700 extra? I doubt it.

Anyways, good review, thanks!
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM
afox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I was wondering when the chinese would develop a competitor to the danfoss 12v compressor. This is great and I probably would have bought one had they been available when I was fridge shopping, only problem is that with the 25% tariff this fridge will cost $461, not much less than a truckfridge or isotherm on sale. Potential buyers might want to make their move sooner rather than later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 04:24 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
That nearly 10° temperature swing and higher energy usage would be hard for me to swallow. I don’t regret a single penny that I spent for my Engel. That said, it’s good to see more choices in the market and I’m glad you are pleased.

www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com

Website detailing my build: msnomersvan.wordpress.com

2014 White 136" HT 1500 Gas
post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 PM
RobPromaster

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Spent a lot of money on spoiled food this past winter, failed to keep enough ice on hand.
Probably got sick more than once eating stuff that was temperature abused.
Interested to hear a long term product review. Good luck.

'18 Promaster 1500 HR Gasser bare bones, working on it
98 Ram 3500 Cummins 12v
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM
GuyT
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPromaster View Post
Spent a lot of money on spoiled food this past winter, failed to keep enough ice on hand.
Probably got sick more than once eating stuff that was temperature abused.
Interested to hear a long term product review. Good luck.

Well, my Engel is on it's six season, two friends of mine's had theirs for a bit longer, no issues yet. Quiet, efficient, well build...I would recommend it, even if it's not cheap.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
wnybiker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I haven't seen an Engel in person but judging from the photos, at minimum the handles are much sturdier, there is a latch for the lid, and I don't doubt that they are quieter and more durable. I would guess that all the metal is a heavier grade of aluminum (?) rather than the relatively thin Chinesium this thing is made of. Also, Engel (and Dometic, Truckfridge, etc) have a full basket rather than the smaller basket this one has.

As for the temperature swing, that is adjustable per the manual. I went with the default but you can tune it to kick in sooner if you want a tighter band of temperature control.

I will report back in a few weeks with tears or cheers.

2019 Promaster 1500 High Top
Wayfarer "Walter" Conversion
The Following User Says Thank You to wnybiker For This Useful Post:
phil (05-15-2019)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,267 Posts
Garage
The Engle has a completely different compressor called a swing compressor which is reputed to be more efficient, ruggeder, and very long lasting. It is undoubtably a better product but perhaps not three times as good. Once there were few alternatives and all were expensive. These recent entries are really inexpensive by comparison. I had planned to use a Whynter 100 liter (3 cu ft) chest refrigerator wit a freezer compartment but just couldn’t fit it in my plan.
https://smile.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-...s%2C202&sr=8-5

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 02:32 PM
afox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
the compressors have higher amp draw on startup so a larger setpoint will result in less electricity consumed. isotherm has an add-on that makes their fridges consume less electricity partially by increasing the setpoint.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Charger7022

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
we have this one and it works great

I see about a 2.5amp draw when running max but it quickly drops off after the compressor starts.

2016, 159" high top, Gas, converted to a camper for 4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page