User Tag List

post #1 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
PoodleGirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Orange County Build

Hello, I'm in the planning stages for a new Promaster build. I'll be getting a 159. I have a unique set of skills that I'm hopping to make this an amazing rig, but I have never built one of these before. I'm wondering if there's anybody local that I can bounce ideas off of and do some prelim planning together. I'm in Orange County, CA. I'll also keep this list updated, but am hoping for a bit of in person collaboration too.

Right now I'm ordering parts I'm fairly certain I will need, like the electrical system.

Anyone willing to collaborate? I do plan to model and cnc almost everything, as well as a lot of custom electronics abd programming.

Poodle Girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 AM
ThomD

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
The beauty of the internet is that you don't have to be local to collaborate. Toss all your crazy ideas out there and see what response you get.

I recommend that you do not get too far ahead of your built with buying things. Nearly everyone changes their details as they move through the process.

2017 159" Gas High top with dual sliders.
Build Thread
post #3 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
PoodleGirl

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD View Post
The beauty of the internet is that you don't have to be local to collaborate. Toss all your crazy ideas out there and see what response you get..
Alright, here is a crazy idea. I am a designer of pinball machines. I would like to take at least one machine with me, possibly two. So one machine, I'd like to have in the garage on a slide out tray. The game may weigh 450 lbs, and 35 inches wide, 4.5 feet deep. I'd like to know how to design a tray to support that to make load and unload easier. The second machine I would load through the side door with no tray, just through down furniture pads all around it and slide in. Maybe start a thread just for this?

Poodle Girl
The Following User Says Thank You to PoodleGirl For This Useful Post:
heregoesnothing (05-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 02:02 PM
nebulight

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleGirl View Post
Alright, here is a crazy idea. I am a designer of pinball machines. I would like to take at least one machine with me, possibly two.
Well, that's a first for this forum

Current caretaker of the Backroader 159" wb
post #5 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 PM
mostlyHarmless

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Check these out: https://www.ovisonline.com/30-Heavy-...SABEgK2TPD_BwE
They are spendy, but the pair are rated for 450 lbs, you could always do two sets (total of four sliders) on the tray the machine mounts to if you want to be extra capable. And they can lock in place.

The furniture pads for the side... might still want to build a tray. In the event of any sudden stops you would want those machines secured down nicely so they don't shift, that's a lot of weight. Definitely do through-bolts to very large washers or full metal plates on the under carriage for any trays or mounts for the machines. Probably want welded steel trays and mounts too?

A bubble level and a good set of blocking to level the van out on, i figure a pinball machine wants a good level surface. I can't see any way to make the trays self leveling without alot of complexity. Would probably be simplest to level the whole van on its wheels.

Support you on having on hand the items or systems you know for sure you will want. For me it was: ice chest, and second row seat and bed. Those i knew i would have and needed them to place in the space before i built out. There is no substitute for being in the space, and often the dimensions for items you get online are either wrong, or they communicate the measurements in a way that screws thing up.

So far my build process has been: 1)lay flooring, 2)build in the bed/dinette, 3)place the ice chest and second row seat in(not fully installed yet, but in place). 4)Then around that spacial understanding we use cardboard to template out our counters and over head storage. Those first three items we knew were uncompromising to have in the van and it is a good thing we did. Once i am past the point of having those things completely installed, then i will move to building the extra things in and buying addition items and systems. Hope that helps?

Are you wanting/planning on being able to run the machines on battery power, or will you always be around locations that you could run an extension cord to? If 9 times out of 10 you will have access to shore power, consider wiring the interior of the van with 110 outlets that you can plug into an extension cord. Then your battery system can be a back up system for the few times you don't have shore power.

this will be a sleeper/camper van as well? cool stuff, look forward to seeing what comes of it!

2018 Ram Promaster 159 wb - converting to an "off grid" camper/work rig for our family of 4.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 PM
ThomD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleGirl View Post
Alright, here is a crazy idea. I am a designer of pinball machines.

Cool, I'm glad we got that right up front.

While I have my bike tray on 48" slides rated for 500 lbs, I've never come close to testing the limit. Slides are easy - they are heavy steel. The challenge is securing them. My slides are screwed into the plywood floor with 4 or 5 brackets per side, but I'm only holding bicycles.

I would have expected that a ramp would be easier to use than a drawer. How does one lift a 450lbs machine up to a drawer? With a ramp you could use a low dolly setup. regardless of drawer or ramp, I'd want to ratchet strap the load to through bolted rings

Build Thread
post #7 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 04:40 PM
JohnnyRambles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD View Post

I recommend that you do not get too far ahead of your built with buying things. Nearly everyone changes their details as they move through the process.
Truth X 3! I ended up buying 3 different sinks, 4 different diesel tanks for my Easpar and returned a whole cart full of things to Lowes, Amazon and Home Depot during my build process. A nightmare of inefficiency, but somehow it all turned out right in the end.

2015 159" Gas Promaster (RV Build in Progress)
post #8 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
PoodleGirl

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the great suggestions. This is but one of the crazy ideas I have, but I think it's the major one. I want sure if I should drill holes through the van for the build which I would think you'd do before insulating and doing the floor. Yes tie downs would be good for the one being loaded through the side door.

Bubble levels aren't important for this as the game wouldn't actually be played in the van. I'd take the games to shows and set them up there. On the other hand I would power them from the can to do testing and adjusting so yes, lots of 110. I do plan on putting in 600 au lithium batteries in this build. I'll Check out those slides!

Poodle Girl
post #9 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 05:18 PM
ThomD

I pulled my floor out a couple of times over the year of heavy building. Here's what I would do now - 1/2" poly iso with 3/4" good plywood on top. Use the existing tie down points to secure the floor. You will need longer bolts.

Every place where you add a new tie down, drill through with a smallish bit. This is to make sure you are where you need to be on both sides. Then drill the plywood with a 2 inch hole saw. This will give you a disk of plywood. Set that aside and drill the final hole through the sheet metal. Use a 1 inch diameter PVC pipe on end as a collar for the new bolt. Put the plywood disk back on top and attach your new tie down point. This way the bolt compresses the plywood against the PVC collar rather than the polyiso. The plywood disk just ensures the pressure is evenly distributed. It won't help hold the floor in, but the original tie down points do that. Don't forget a backer plate under the van.

Build Thread
post #10 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 PM
phil

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
In my mind I'm envisioning a pinball machine moving dolly that lifts the entire off the ground, push it to the van and go in between the slides, remove legs, lower the dolly so the pinball machine rest on the slides?

or is it you and some friends man handling this thing?

https://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pinballdolly.html

http://repaircongress.com/48-drawer-...drawer-slides/

Last edited by phil; 05-06-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page