post #1 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
travelvanvan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Floor vent location?

I read about some of the clever locations for a floor fresh air vent. e.g. Medicineman and his vents on the floor near the cab.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use vents at the sides of the PM. Specifically, cut out a vent just aft of the slider where the triangular plastic covers are. Cut out another set on the other side.

Another idea I've been bandying about is to cut out a vent or 2 (or even 3) on the vertical part of the step up into the cab. For me, since I have the floor in already, this would be easiest as right now it's exposed and easy to cut into, whereas the floor is now completely covered in polyiso and plywood.

I've also bandied about the idea of vents in the rear doors. Maybe like what user Phranc did, or maybe a bit lower, near the bumper.

My normal forced air vent will be a MaxxAir fan in the middle right at the very back of the van. This is because I have a lot of solar panels to install and don't want any of them to be shaded; moving the fan as far back as possible.

What have you guys done? How have you like it?

What noise issues, if any, have you experienced when driving at freeway speeds?

PS: I had originally thought I'd just crack open the front windows but I've decided that for a variety of reasons, I want them buttoned up tight.

Ordered Feb 2018, arrived Sept 2018. 159-inch WB regular length, high top, 3.6L gas, both driver's and passenger-side sliding doors. Planning to lightly camper-ize it for spontaneous and free-spirited travel!

Last edited by travelvanvan; 04-03-2019 at 02:11 AM. Reason: More questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 03:06 AM
Wankel7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
What about the foot wells .... The vertical part. What is on the backside of the footwell box?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
travelvanvan

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel7 View Post
What about the foot wells .... The vertical part. What is on the backside of the footwell box?
The part the intrudes on the sides would have the tires in front.

Just guessing, but the vertical part might be the engine firewall and thus a source of hot air, not desirable (at least not by me).

The vertical part of the step up into the cab has, I believe, the gas tank and the charcoal canister in front of it. I think the air there should be mostly cool. I'll have to check again if it's far enough away from the (very hot) catalytic converter.

Ordered Feb 2018, arrived Sept 2018. 159-inch WB regular length, high top, 3.6L gas, both driver's and passenger-side sliding doors. Planning to lightly camper-ize it for spontaneous and free-spirited travel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 AM
RobPromaster

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thought about the sides and back corners but could not bring myself to do any cutting.
Cut in haste repent in leisure.
How about expanding the vents to minimize backpressure when the doors are closed, down by the sides near the back doors...

'18 Promaster 1500 HR Gasser bare bones, working on it
98 Ram 3500 Cummins 12v
post #5 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 08:55 AM
goldenraf

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I made a rectangular hole on the floor between the sliding door and the wheel. The idea was to bring cool air for the refrigerator above. I used a standard air vent from homedepot and I keep it closed in winter.
When the maxxair fan is working it pulls cool air from the bottom of the van.
I also added a 12V computer size fan (4") to the top of the refrigerator shelf. It keeps air flowing through the back of the fridge.
I used glue to put a screen underneath the van to keep the bugs out.
Never felt confortable with the idea of making holes on the body side of the van in case one day I decide to sell it as a cargo van.

Last edited by goldenraf; 04-03-2019 at 08:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to goldenraf For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (04-03-2019)
post #6 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 12:23 PM
phil

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelvanvan View Post
...cut...What have you guys done? How have you like it?...cut...
I recommend you experiment.
Remove the 3 little screw to the fuel pump access panel and run the fan, check the air flow vs noise. (the fuel system is a sealed system)

Try the front window at different heights, check the air flow vs noise.

Use cardboard with different size holes in the window opening.

My conclusions:
The factory vent holes in the rear are insufficient for ventilation, they can be used to control moisture levels.
Any hole covered with 1/4 hardware cloth as a mouse barrier plus a bug screen will have reduced air flow.
Using a small hole and roof vent to equalize the temp in an unoccupied van is one thing, but a human is going to want to feel airflow.
I think a 6 to 8 inch is minimum for me.
You need a hole that can be closed while driving, you don't need it while driving.
The exhaust system cools down at a good pace so it's a none issue.
The air needs to flow the length of the van.
Just my opinion

Last edited by phil; 04-03-2019 at 12:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:
bahawton (04-04-2019), travelvanvan (04-03-2019)
post #7 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
travelvanvan

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I don't have any qualms cutting holes in my PM. There's going to be a 14x14 hole on the roof soon enough. Lots more small ones for cables in the roof. There's already lots of holes in the ribs. I'm thinking about removing the helper leaf spring. etc. This is *my* PM and I'm absolutely going to modify it if it will help with some functionality.

For the person who said it could affect the re-sale of it as a cargo van, don't worry about it. Someone looking for a used cargo van would find that most other work vans are much more beat up and questionable than the one belonging to someone who's cared for their PM the way that most of us have.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Wankel7

What about the fuel pump access panel?

Not sure how much engine heat would come through.

I have everything closed , the access panel open, and maxxair on 100 percent. It isn't flowing enough to satisfy the fan.... But it is drawing a lot of air in.

Fuel smell shouldn't be an issue. If it is.... You have other issues.

Now how to make it quickly accessable?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-13-2019, 05:15 PM
JohnnyRambles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I know you want a lot of solar, but I have nearly 400 watts on my PM and still have room for two unshaded Maxx air fans.

There were past discussions here on the subject, but honestly I would not even consider building another van without dual roof vents. One on exhaust, the other on intake moves a ton of air and you can keep the speeds lower than with a single fan. It sounds odd, but with two fans running (One in/one out) it's actually quieter that a single fan, even at the same speed.

2015 159" Gas Promaster (RV Build in Progress)

Last edited by JohnnyRambles; 04-13-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Wankel7

You can't beat pulling cooler air from down low and exhausting it up high. But of course there is nothing wrong with two roof vents.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page