post #1 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
marcksv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
insulation depth

Hello!

We will be converting a Promaster into a camper this spring /*summer /*fall. We havent received the truck yet but are in the final planning stage. We were wondering what depth of insulation would be possible to put it (we live in Canada so we get quite cold spring /*fall and of course winter temperatures!). Not planning to live full time in it but want to be able to go on hunting trips where the temperature could drop around 0 to -10 celcius.

I guess the floor is whatever we'd like... Then the roof and walls... We would like to fill with insulation up until the vertical ribs in the wall and to the horizontal ribs in the roof. We will probably add a 1/2 to 3/4 furring strip on the ribs to have something to screw in for the wall /*ceiling panels.

I guess my question is: what is the general depth from body skin to the furthest part of the ribs (ceiling / walls)? I could add 1/2 to 3/4 to this measurement for the furring strips and that would give me the insulation depth I could use...

If anyone has the means to help me with these measurements while I don't have the Promaster yet, that would be very helpfull!

We are looking for a combination of wool and hemp panels to insulate. We read good things about these products as it's natural and have good insulation properties as well as good reaction to relative humitity.

Thanks!

Marck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM
HarryN

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Locally I saw a promaster that had 6 inches of wall and ceiling insulation. It was a batt type but I don't remember exactly which material.

At first I thought it was excessive, but it was surprisingly effective at reducing heating from being in the sun. (our challenge locally is keeping a van cool).

The two big challenges that people seem to have are:
- keeping a van warm is keeping the floor warmed up.
- realizing that the "heaters" are sufficient to maintain warmth, but not enough to warm up a van from being cold.

Some experience with auxiliary power
The Following User Says Thank You to HarryN For This Useful Post:
marcksv (04-15-2019)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM
JohnnyRambles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I don't have measurements, but if my memory is correct on the ceiling of my van I added (2) layers of 3/4" inch of foam between the ribs, (1) layer of 1/2" foam over the ribs and then a 1/2" layer of tongue and groove cedar (So the ribs were 1.5" deep). The walls varied greatly and it really depends on how you build tthem out. I basically just built them up with foam boards until they were level with the ribs and then added one 1/2" layer of foam board over that. In some places near the bottom it's close to 3" thick.

IMO it's important to have some type of insulation over the ribs as opposed to just furring strips. While some wood is a decent insulator, the humidity sends the R value of it crashing, and keeping the humidity levels low is a tough thing to do in a van. The conduction of heat (Lost or gained) through the metal parts of the van can be substantial and even if it's just a 1/4" layer of foam, it will make a difference.

2015 159" Gas Promaster (RV Build in Progress)
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyRambles For This Useful Post:
marcksv (04-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
marcksv

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!

As for the ribs, I will pull insulation through them to fill the cavities. I plan on putting a thin insulation over the ribs before putting some furring strips over them.

So from what I read the depth of the ribs vary from 1.5 to 3in depending of where in the van... Guess I'll have to play with different depths of material ! ;-)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 AM
SteveSS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
The ceiling ribs accommodate one inch of insulation between them. Wall spaces narrow toward the top. Roughly, there is 2.5 inches below the mid-beams, just shy of 2 inches at the upper beams, and about 1 inch above that.

SteveSS
2017 3500 159 EXT gas, silver metallic. Shiny's build thread
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSS For This Useful Post:
marcksv (04-15-2019)
post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
marcksv

(Thread Starter)
Thanks SteveSS
post #7 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 PM
phil

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
post #8 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
marcksv

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I'm guessing you're not installing a heater?
I will be installing a Propex heater. With good insulation it should keep the interior of the van comfortable even with temperatures around 0 degrees celcius!
post #9 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 01:09 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Thanked 1,016 Times in 834 Posts
0 c isn’t particularly cold you should have no problems staying warm

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
post #10 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
marcksv

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponvaning View Post
0 c isnt particularly cold you should have no problems staying warm
I put a temperature as an example ;-) We do plan to use it for snowboard trips later on. We might have some -25c and lower (we definetely had a harsh winter this one!).

Aside from the temperature itself (which I'm not too scared about since you can always put another layer if too cold), I was mostly interested in the total depth available for insulation since I am looking at different materials and one that I'm interested in is 3.5in deep. You could compress it but I don't want to compress it too much and then loose its proprieties.

We might try to go find a local promaster in a dealer and ask to take measurements! haha

Thanks!

Marck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page