GuyT
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
From Avon(NC) to Hood River(OR)

Another few hours and we are there!

Left Avon, Outer Banks, North Carolina last Sunday at 10, should hit Hood River tonight (Wednesday), around midnight. That's a 4800 km (2983 miles) drive.

The Promaster didn't do as good as usual, 13.3L/100 km (17.7 mpg) , usually, it's around 12.9L/100 km (19.6 mpg) . I would blame it on the weather, it was pretty much nasty all the way, lot's of rain and wind. At least all the salt accumulated in 6 weeks in Cape Hatteras is washed away.

It's amazing that one day the temperature is above 90F in West Virginia and two days later, it's snowing in Wyoming.

Weather wise, the worst part was at the Iowa/Nebraska/Missouri border, where secondary roads were closed because of heavy rain and flooding of Missouri River.

My wife did most of the driving, she loves driving the PM and since I have a sore back, I didn't mind not driving. Spend most of the time enjoying the view and loosing time on Internet. AT&T has a good wifi coverage all across America. Too bad that the coverage is not that good in Hood River, where we'll spend most of the next 3 months.

No issues with the Promaster, it's not a Canadian, but it still likes to drive "From Coast to Coast"

Last edited by GuyT; 05-22-2019 at 11:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GuyT For This Useful Post:
keeponvaning (05-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-23-2019, 07:16 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Thanked 1,669 Times in 1,294 Posts
Garage
Interesting that your trip is almost exactly the same kilometers (miles) as my semiannual jaunt between the heart of the Sonoran Desert and the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. 4800+- km (2950+- miles) Last trip I did it with $320 of Diesel and averaged 8.68L/100km (27.1 mpg). Verizon is also great if you don’t get far off the interstate. Unfortunately we do.

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Thanked 1,074 Times in 881 Posts
Guy is the only Canadian I know that spends winters in PQ and summers in the USA!

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 AM
baitbegger44##

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Guy....how was spring fishing? Any spot yet?
post #5 of 22 Old 05-23-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
GuyT
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitbegger44## View Post
Guy....how was spring fishing? Any spot yet?

Hi baitbegger44,

I know there are a lot of fisherman in OBX, but we go there for windsurfing. The house we usually rent in Buxton was not available this year, so I didn't get my usual fishing report from the neighbor next door.

April was warmer than usual and we got very few northeasterly winds, mostly got southwesterlies. From beginning of April, we got 33 days (on 43) of 20 mph+ winds, but I don't know if it's good or not for fishing.

Keeponvaning, my wife and I, we love winter, so much to do! Alpine and cross-country skiing, snow kiting...We just moved neat Mont Saint-Anne in the Quebec City area, we love it there. Problem with spring and summer is that it's not that windy, so that's why we go to Cape Hatteras and then, Columbia River Gorge.

The only thing I don't like about our new home is the RAM dealership. The one we had in Montreal were very friendly and honest (Boulevard Dodge Chrysler). The new one (JD Dodge Chrysler) looks like it is part of the stealership network. Will tell my story one day.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-23-2019, 12:28 PM
baitbegger44##

Bay side pretty good for windsurfing....you must be a younger.....fishing usually good wind or no wind.....when it gets cold the fish migrate so watch your temps....wind does have effect on casting.....i fish the piers.....red drum like rough water /// they also migrate .....usually in schools....fall best
post #7 of 22 Old 05-23-2019, 01:16 PM
scarysharkface

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
5400 miles into our trip we're averaging 16.4 mpg, generally running at speed limit or below and taking it easy.

John

Married, bassist, motorcyclist, father
post #8 of 22 Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
GuyT
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitbegger44## View Post
Bay side pretty good for windsurfing....you must be a younger.....fishing usually good wind or no wind.....when it gets cold the fish migrate so watch your temps....wind does have effect on casting.....i fish the piers.....red drum like rough water /// they also migrate .....usually in schools....fall best

Not that young, 65.

Fall maybe best for fishing in OBX, but it seams that it's more likely to get caught in an hurricane, no?

Here's a little van story just for you

A guy I know had a Sprinter for 2 years, but he had so much trouble with it, he decided to trade it for a Ford Transit, brand new.

Two months later, something really bad happened to his Transit, coolant liquid inside the motor or something like that. Ford fixed the motor, but my friend was not happy, he felt that Ford should have changed the whole motor. Maybe it was his imagination, but he felt that the fixed motor was not running as smoothly as it should.

So, he is in OBX in the fall, camping at Frisco Wood, very close to the Pamlico Sound. A hurricane warning is in effect, so he calls his insurance company to see if his Transit is insured for a natural disaster, flooding per example. "Totally, sir". He calls again to talk to another agent. He gets another confirmation.

Two days after, the hurricane shows up, the Frisco campground gets totally flooded and the Transit,very close to the Sound, is a total waste.

He got a brand new one from the insurance company.

Last edited by GuyT; 05-23-2019 at 11:55 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-24-2019, 05:22 AM
baitbegger44##

Hurricanes have littered the history of outer banks even more so than world wars, even though there are rumours of German sleepers still. 8 & bait is the goto rig.....that is 8 ounces lead and a spot head. One drum fisherman showed me his hurricane rig.....instead of 8 ounces he uses 16 ounces of lead.....it was not shinny.....hardcore.....me, I want to fish before the weather and be way gone before it hits.....hurrican party from 300 miles inland with some elevation with no steams around.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 AM
baitbegger44##

The South end of Hattarus Island gets reshaped with hurricanes.....most of the flooding comes from the sound side with combination of tide and circulation of heavy winds. Not unusual to have 5 foot of water on u.s. 12 during a bit of weather.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page