Lift Kit - Page 3 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #21 of 45 Old 04-03-2019, 10:07 PM
supdies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I just finished installing the Vancompass front & rear lift kits - my local tire shop did the work.

Here are some before & after photos. Its more noticeable in person - hard to show in photos.

Great kit - and the alignment adjustments were minimal before/after.

I'm still running the stock tires: 225/75/16. I plan to upgrade them next year - likely to 245/70/16. The before pictures are my snow tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lift1.jpg (261.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Lift2.jpg (294.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Closeups.jpg (476.3 KB, 44 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supdies For This Useful Post:
bahawton (04-05-2019), phil (04-03-2019), ThomD (04-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 04-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Obrian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Looks great. I do wish their kit leveled the van as well as lifted it.
post #23 of 45 Old 04-06-2019, 11:37 AM
jamfandango

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ordered one of the Russian spacer lifts off eBay. Will post photos once it arrives and I finish the install.

I'll be running Michelin Defender 245/75R6's
post #24 of 45 Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 PM
tkgeorge_99

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
russian lift spacers

So I ordered myself up a pair of russian spacers on ebay and they have arrived. I looked over the intructions from van compass for their product and figure that these spacers should install in aproximately the same maner. Can anyone who has used the russian spacers confirm this? I'm having my local mechanic install the spacers. I turn a wrench on my VW's but this project looks like it takes quite a bit of the front suspension apart which makes me nervous. Frankly, it makes me nervous to have my mechanic do it. Anyone who has used these spacers imput would be appreciated?
post #25 of 45 Old 04-26-2019, 01:12 AM
tbuyan

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just finished installing the Van Compass front lift today. Got exactly 1.5" lift, as advertised.
This is not a job for the faint hearted, although any competent mechanic with the right tools can do it.

The two most difficult parts: First, removing the calipers - no kidding. They are mounted to the steering knuckles with 12mm fine thread allen bolts that have some serious thread locking fluid applied. Fortunately I have a set of Snap-on allen wrenches and the 14mm one was able to withstand the 12" cheater I had to use. I doubt a chinesium allen wrench would have survived. It's tight quarters and the wrench/cheater can only swing about 1/6th turn. That's a lot of strenuous effort to remove a bolt, and there are 2 per side. I got a 1/2" drive 14mm allen socket (?) before attacking the other side. So don't try this job without a proper 14mm allen wrench.

Second, after hanging the strut-with-spacer from the chassis and getting it and the drive axle engaged in the steering knuckle (not too bad), the real wrestling match begins. Levering the a-arm downward while compressing the strut upward to get the ball joint stud into its hole in the a-arm is quite difficult. I used coil spring compressors to reduce the effort, but it was still a bear. There might have been some cursing.

Don't be surprised if either axle pops out of its inner spline during the wrestling match, but you can pop them right back in. The driver's side will spill gear oil if it pops out.

Oh, and installing that last T25 screw into its hole in the right front corner of the glovebox also brought out some colorful language.

I did one side at a time, on a lift. First side took about 6 hours, with a good helper. Second side about 4. Next time I could do both in a day.

Last edited by tbuyan; 04-26-2019 at 01:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tbuyan For This Useful Post:
Old Country Woodworks (04-26-2019)
post #26 of 45 Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 AM
Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have the 40mm Russian spacers installed by my friend who is a mechanic, and I helped do some prying. Pretty simple job for him and it took about 2 hours. We did have to make a run to the hardware store for replacement bolts as the ones that came with the kit were either too short or too long, I can't remember. Very happy with the results, and I had it aligned afterwards to make sure everything was golden.

2017 2500 159" High Roof Gasser
post #27 of 45 Old 04-26-2019, 08:26 PM
tkgeorge_99

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
russian spacers

good to hear that it only took about 2 hours to install your spacers. did you do install in a similar maner to vancompass spacers? I imagine process is almost identical just different spacers. ? I have the spacers but am still on the fence on having it done. I just see complications and problems if everything is not put back just right.... Is the 1.5" worth the possiblity of disaster later? Still on the fence. I have a guy who says he can do it for me but I'm not sure I trust him to do job right.
post #28 of 45 Old 04-27-2019, 02:36 PM
tbuyan

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So, after installing the VC lift I took the van to Les Schwab to have the toe-in adjusted, per VC's suggestion. Of course, they did a complete alignment inspection and informed me that I had to "take the van back to ProMaster" because the caster and camber were off and the only way to adjust it was to move the front sub-frame. Apparently that requires unbolting the engine and supporting it a special fixture (which only the dealers have) while the adjustment is made! They also said the rear alignment is off, which they also couldn't fix. After all that they refused to adjust the toe-in (which was off) because "if we can't do the complete job we won't do any part of it". Arrrgh. I have an appointment with a different shop on Monday to get the toe adjusted. Stay tuned.

On a different note, the van now has a definite shudder on moderate acceleration between 5 & 15 mph, or so. It is a bit worse if turning while accelerating. Feels like rear tire imbalance as I can feel it in the seat, but not in the steering wheel. I got all 4 tires rebalanced, but no improvement. I fear the additional u-joint angularity from the lift is causing this, although VC claims the u-joints remain within safe working limits. I believe I've read all the posts from those who have installed the VC lift, with no mention of this issue. Anybody?

Last edited by tbuyan; 04-27-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #29 of 45 Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Thanked 1,048 Times in 860 Posts
Lift kits - na, NO way! Just asking for problems. I know, I know they look so "cool" and you can use oversized tires and climb big rocks with a single bound, but NO!

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
post #30 of 45 Old 04-27-2019, 09:29 PM
Old Country Woodworks

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
It seems like price, time and effort seem like a lot for just an inch and a half.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page