User Tag List

post #21 of 27 Old 04-17-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
bananavanman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Had some scrap foam board laying around so made use of that, just sealed off rocker panel space below - far as I know that is open to underside so it won't be completely sealed off...I spaced out with some foam board scraps so the black wall paneling will push up against it and not crack with the smallest of bumps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOD14.jpg (632.5 KB, 13 views)

Bananavanman
2018 136" HR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 04-20-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
bananavanman

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sliding door rain sheild

So I'm sure you can all relate - coming & going in the rain with the big doors is a pain! So my van is parked next to my shop and door is always open as I'm back & forth with tools to build 'er up and I'm determined to find a way to keep the inner floor dry and keep the door open. I will spring for an awning some day, but was just looking for something temporary to slap up there. Enter the 'ol reliable ABS sheet...I use this stuff for everything from riding lawn mower hood patch panels to atv mud flaps to RC car repair -it's indestructible, malleable, can be riveted and cuts with tin snips or stanley knife. I prefer the .060 (1/16") and a 4 X 8 sheet can be had for under $100. I mocked up my piece with cardboard and cut it out - perfect! It tucks in tight in gap above track, and I made it an inch longer either side so drip edge goes past door opening. It rolls up tight and a velcro wrap keeps it small, I'ma toss this up in the overhead bin for when I hit the road! I plan to make a small strip that I will attach to inside top of door too, so door doesn't get soaked when its open in the rain as well. Below is overhead pic, shaped panel on floor, and rolled for stow & go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOD15.jpg (856.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg MOD16.jpg (969.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg MOD17.jpg (576.7 KB, 16 views)

Bananavanman
2018 136" HR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananavanman For This Useful Post:
heregoesnothing (05-12-2019), phil (04-20-2019)
post #23 of 27 Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
That looks quite familiar. This is my original from 2016. Present one covers the entire opening. Mine attaches with Velcro to the underside of the top of the opening. Your ABS looks better than my ??? I found at a salvage place. I store it flat in the overhead. Dont ask me how I know it can survive 60 mph.

www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com

Website detailing my build: msnomersvan.wordpress.com

2014 White 136" HT 1500 Gas
post #24 of 27 Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
bananavanman

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ha! - nice - I knew someone must have come up with something similar B4...

Bananavanman
2018 136" HR
post #25 of 27 Old 04-26-2019, 12:27 AM
Josh Cissell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananavanman View Post
Ha! - nice - I knew someone must have come up with something similar B4...
I use a clear piece of corner guard I got from Home Depot. Works like a champ and not very visible.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #26 of 27 Old 04-27-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
bananavanman

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Adding rear seats

Alright! - just got in my double rear seat - searched for a while for size, install ease and price. Picked up a Bestop 'Trailmax II' for a little under $300. delivered. The grey/dark grey is almost an exact match - really close! So these are for Jeeps, and why I chose this one is it folds completely flat as I plan to use the top (back) of it for workspace. The kiddies are rarely trucked around by Pa, so under and over this thing will be utilized. It mounts really basic and does come with brackets and hardware (which will be discarded). I'm fabbing a simple rectangular box from square 1.5" perforated rebar tube to raise it up about 20" so occupants can see ahead over driver & passenger front seats. This will give me a bunch of room to stash stuff under it, and when seat is folded flat it will be next to my work bench to put parts & tools on it while wrenching. Grabbed some cheapie lap seat belt sets from Ebay (yes, DOT cert.) and frame will be bolted through floor to keep it all safe & solid. I'll plan to cover with plywood & carpeting for looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOD18.jpg (770.6 KB, 8 views)

Bananavanman
2018 136" HR
The Following User Says Thank You to bananavanman For This Useful Post:
phil (04-29-2019)
post #27 of 27 Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
bananavanman

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Front lift installed

From Russia with love! - so these have been floating around the forum for a bit - the poly spacers from 'the Federation'...(from TEMA 4X4). They DO HAVE hardened steel sleeved inserts molded inside them for the new longer bolts. Not sure what anyone was saying that these would be 'soft', but these are rock-hard polyurethane. They did NOT come with the correct length bolts, so I had to scramble around a bit when 'my guy' had it up on his lift with front end all apart. -they took #M10X1 .25 thd X 75mm for the 1.5" version. So the install was quite involved - driver side was more difficult then pass side. The 'other US mfg' has great directions that were followed, but lower ball joint needed to get popped on driver side to get strut back in. Quite a wrestling match I understand, this guy's a pro and it was about 5 hours. NOTE: he DID NOT unplug brain as he had heard horror stories on troubled reboots from others! Access was fine without doing that. MY method to this madness is 3-fold for those inquiring minds; 1) I don't like the look of the 'nose dive' factory rake. 2) I blast a lot of 'seasonal' back dirt roads in winter and summer, so snowplowing/clearance is an issue. 3) New, wider tires on wider rims are coming with an aggressive all season 245/70R16. I didn't actually measure new clearance underneath but I will when I get the new sneakers on there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PMlift.jpg (576.2 KB, 5 views)

Bananavanman
2018 136" HR
The Following User Says Thank You to bananavanman For This Useful Post:
phil (05-10-2019)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page