MaxxFan/Roof Rack Interference? - Page 3 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #21 of 34 Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 AM
scarysharkface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I'm up against this as well, on a 2018 136" high-roof model.

My "solution" is to install the two solar panels I purchased between the two front crosspieces on aluminum angle bolted to the bottoms of the crosspieces, which will allow me to install the fan in front of the rear-most rib.

Mounting the solar panels to the underside of the crosspieces is brilliant and I'm glad I saw this thread prior to installing them.

Of course, measuring them indicates it will be a tight fit, and I need to pickup the correct size carriage bolts (and of course I neglected to measure the gap when I was near a ladder) for the channel on the crosspieces.

The rear-most crosspiece isn't used for anything in this setup, but I might install aluminum channel all the way back regardless, to both provide a place to hide the wires from the panels (I think I'm going to bring them into the van at the backup camera housing, which is another great idea I've seen on this forum) and maybe to obscure the view of the roof vent from the street.

At any rate, that means the vent fan will be a little farther forward in the cabin, but I think that will be fine.

John

Married, bassist, motorcyclist, father
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 AM
Snoho3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sounds like there really isn’t a consensus on this, which means there likely isn’t a good universal solution. I’m planning on cutting a roof-top hole for a fantastic fan tomorrow and had hoped to do do so in the rear section of the roof. Not sure just how much I will be using racks - certainly sometimes, but not all the time. Perhaps I could operate the fan under a VanTech rack if I only opened the fan cover a few inches - greatly reduced capacity/airflow, but only when I was using the racks. Will need to do some careful measuring...

Snoho3
post #23 of 34 Old 05-05-2019, 07:23 AM
VanBike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Prime Design makes AluRack which appears to have adjustable crossbars along the outside rails. Installation video below where you can see the attachment of the crossbars.
https://youtu.be/2_U01H-OmIk

Another video of someone installing AluRack around a Maxxfan https://youtu.be/UaQKcLJofRc. It looks more complex than the install video but you can see the crossbar adjustment a bit better.
post #24 of 34 Old 05-05-2019, 07:42 AM
AO Custom

I've installed my maxair 7500 in the most rear position on my 159 and have been thinking about this challenge for quite some time. I'd love an aluminess rack but cant justify the price. In the next month I plan to start my 80/20 roof rack project, it will be similar to an aluminess that features a flooring so I can stand up there.

My requirements are: haul 4x8 sheets of plywood on my roof, haul 9.5' kayaks on roof, attach Thule cargo box to rack, stand on rack, haul pelican cases on rack and allow room for 200 watts of solar - solar probably towards the front (of course not all of this at the same time).

I've come up with 2 options. Option 1: fab the rack high enough to clear the fan in the closed position. This way I can slide plywood or other stuff onto the rack and not interfere with my fan.

Option 2: cut a square hole in the flooring for my fan to protrude through like I've seen aluminess do. Then fab a removable protective cover to install over the fan when I need to protect the fan. Another option is to fab the rack to have 2 levels or sets of cross bars. This way I can load plywood or kayaks on top level which would be higher than the fan.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

2018 Promaster 2500, 159"
post #25 of 34 Old 05-05-2019, 06:21 PM
bigbyrd73

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Check out my build using unistrut and vantech mounts....my fan is right in the middle and since u installed your fan all the way back,I say it's do able making the racks like I did and be able to load 4x8 sheets...
https://postimg.cc/gallery/20mrgk7u8/
post #26 of 34 Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 PM
AO Custom

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

2018 Promaster 2500, 159"
post #27 of 34 Old 05-05-2019, 10:20 PM
Roblee

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Hauling 4x8 ply on roof? What an animal!

2015 159wb gas. High Plains of Texas
plywood & fence pickets one board at a time
post #28 of 34 Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Snoho3

Just a follow up to my post above... FWIW we had no trouble at all fitting/installing a Fan-tastic fan today between the aft-most roof rack position (VanTech rack) and the aft ceiling rib. Had roughly two inches to spare. I realize this is an old thread but just thought I would put this out there in case anyone else stumbles across it and gets concerned.

Snoho3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoho3 For This Useful Post:
scarysharkface (05-06-2019), wnybiker (05-06-2019)
post #29 of 34 Old 05-06-2019, 10:10 AM
scarysharkface

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoho3 View Post
Just a follow up to my post above... FWIW we had no trouble at all fitting/installing a Fan-tastic fan today between the aft-most roof rack position (VanTech rack) and the aft ceiling rib. Had roughly two inches to spare. I realize this is an old thread but just thought I would put this out there in case anyone else stumbles across it and gets concerned.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

John

Married, bassist, motorcyclist, father
post #30 of 34 Old 05-06-2019, 07:12 PM
Snoho3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
Pictures or it didn't happen.

John
Ha! The old 'Trust but Verify' routine... If you look closely at the roof picture you can see that the fan is just forward of the rack mounting points - far enough (just) to allow the fan vent to open. We wanted to maximize the distance between the interior rib and the fan cutout - as seen in the interior shot.

If you plan to carry plywood on the racks this set up won't work unless you raise the height of the rear rack (to miss the fan bubble cover). But if you plan to load plywood on top of an 8+ foot high van - you have other problems. In our case we'll have a touring kayak over the fan, so will raise the level of the boat using foam blocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (395.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed 2.jpg (712.1 KB, 14 views)

Snoho3
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoho3 For This Useful Post:
scarysharkface (05-07-2019)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page