User Tag List

post #1 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
cabinet1267

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Body Work - is this worth fixing?

I purchased my Promaster with the rear corner panel damaged. They had replaced the taillight, although it's loose. The damage does not seem to affect the door hinge closure. Without taking a few things apart, I can't tell if the corner panel is welded on or bolted on. Seems to be a caulk like material between this and the side panel. A new corner panel is about $800, and not sure if a salvage part is available. So ..... do I just try to bang it out and body putty it and paint, or try to replace it? Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190324_102052.jpg (255.6 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Thanked 1,102 Times in 905 Posts
Find a good body shop

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 PM
phil

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinet1267 View Post
...cut...is this worth fixing?..cut...
I'd throw some rust protection on it and paint it, then I'd use the $800 for a basic solar setup or swivels or 12v frig or windows or interior insulation or something other then cosmetic bodywork, IMO

Last edited by phil; 03-24-2019 at 03:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:
RDinNHandAZ (03-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
cabinet1267

(Thread Starter)
Not worth the price of a body shop .... it's my work van. Just wanted to figure out of it's worth fixing.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 PM
Brian P

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Define "worth".

I presume you bought the van cheap because of this. (Sure hope so!) If you are okay with driving it like this, looking like that, and you are planning to keep the van until it's next to worthless anyhow, then no. Especially with this being your work van, if it's otherwise going to be beaten up and abused as work vans tend to be. Take some white Tremclad or whatever other rust paint that you have locally, brush it on where the paint has gone through to slow down the rust, and keep on driving.

If you care what your work vehicle looks like, and if you have plans of trading in every two or three years (so that what it looks like has an impact on resale value), then perhaps it's worth fixing. The panels are spot-welded in place, and the "caulk like material" is officially called "seam sealer", and it's painted on top of the seam sealer at the factory. Fixing it properly is a job for a body shop.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
cabinet1267

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
Define "worth".

I presume you bought the van cheap because of this. (Sure hope so!) If you are okay with driving it like this, looking like that, and you are planning to keep the van until it's next to worthless anyhow, then no. Especially with this being your work van, if it's otherwise going to be beaten up and abused as work vans tend to be. Take some white Tremclad or whatever other rust paint that you have locally, brush it on where the paint has gone through to slow down the rust, and keep on driving.

If you care what your work vehicle looks like, and if you have plans of trading in every two or three years (so that what it looks like has an impact on resale value), then perhaps it's worth fixing. The panels are spot-welded in place, and the "caulk like material" is officially called "seam sealer", and it's painted on top of the seam sealer at the factory. Fixing it properly is a job for a body shop.

Thanks ..... Yes, I do care what my van looks like, a maintained work truck is a reflection on the quality of the contractor ..... so might be worth a trip to a body shop. Thanks again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page