Ram Promaster Forum banner

Coolant smell/leak

39K views 93 replies 35 participants last post by  Sayn3ver 
#1 · (Edited)
Update on my ongoing coolant smell/leak that I've had since around 5000 miles. My Promaster currently has 12,000 miles and is at my dealer for warranty service work including the following:
1. Leaking water onto the engine at the center seam on the cowl. Dealer say this is normal.
2. Driver side mirror glass flutters around above 50 mph. Dealer replaced the whole mirror we will see if it's fixed. Pass side is fine...
3. Coolant smell and or leak, I have a constant coolant smell near the nose and the bottle drops slowly over a month. Dealer says there are no leaks, and no pressure loss in the system.

#2 ·
Welcome to Promaster ownership. ;) I can't find a leak or evidence of a leak, yet the smell is there. I'm not super mechanical, but even had my shop take a look while getting an oil change and they didn't notice anything either.

#3 ·
I told the dealer to put another tech on it and check it again. In a sealed system the coolant level in the bottle shouldn't drop. It drops slowly over a month so that means it's going somewhere! It's either burning it internally but I never smell coolant in the exhaust, or the plastic radiator has a hairline crack and it's steaming out? You can clearly smell coolant when standing in front of my van after it's running for awhile. Never see any coolant leaks or drips anywhere...

#7 ·
My son swears he can smell coolant outside in front of mine. But I don't. And the fluid level is very stable in the tank. I'll just leave it be.

#9 ·
I caught, pure luck, that in really cold weather the lower hose would allow seepage at engine block, noticed the starter oozing umnn starter fluid, err... no... coolant.. .

I doubled the clamps, left OEM crimped clamp(s) on and sistered in worm gear style beside them and zero problems since.. .

#10 ·
It might be hard to see but try looking up from the passenger side. Remove the splash shield down there so you can see. The leak is probably up high that's why the coolant level only goes down a certain amount. And why you probably don't see and drips. Look for a pinkish residue at your hose clamps. I also had my thermostat housing blow apart on the hwy, lol maybe a separate issue. I'd post a pic but I'm over my limit?

#11 ·
Update, dealer has had my van since Monday the 20th. Called me Friday afternoon and said they cant find the leak? and that he wants to keep my van til Tuesday because he is going to put a new radiator in hoping that solves the problem? Hopefully I will get my van back on Tuesday and all is fine. I'll ask him what that secret button is for when I pick it up.

#15 ·
I have a '17 136" with just over 16k on it and took it into the dealer for the coolant issue as well. They had it for a week, drove it around for about 150 miles (didn't replace the gas mind you), and then said that they couldn't find anything wrong. They did a leakdown test, compression test, and found nothing yet it looses coolant at about an entire reseviour (max to min) in 500 miles. They told me if it happens again to just bring it in to top it off, does that sound like a solid fix???
Then the service writer tells me that there is a vent (in a closed system) to allow pressure out and thats where the smell comes from.
Either it's the worst coolant system design ever to smell the coolant, or it just simply leaks and they can't fix it.

#16 ·
I am surprised that the coolant leak problem is still around 5 years later. Mine ( an early 2014) had a leaking radiator, along with the noisy front brakes and suspension bushings. I would have taught that FCA would have fixed these common issues by now.

Other than that, I haven't had any other problems in 5 years, but another common problem that seams to appear with time are wires that break at the door hinges.

Could be worst. :)

#17 ·
Juve you have a problem and it may be your dealer. Your system needs a fix and your dealer is not helping. Call Ram customer. assist 866-726-4636 and try to get them involved.
Good luck.

#20 ·
No mater how much coolant I put in my ‘14 gas (with the FCA fix) it always goes down to the MIN point and stays there. I’ve given up adding anything as it never overheats. We had a good morning a few days ago so I had the heat on and I could slightly smell coolant until I shut the heater off. I may have leak starting in my heater core but I’ve never smelled it before and other than the past few days I’ve used the heater extensively so time will tell.

Reactions: bkhi
#22 ·
So what's going on here with the coolant system? it's steaming out or leaking somewhere? My local mechanic told me he has seen many oil coolers leak antifreeze at the fittings on the 3.6. A slow drip that lays in the valley under the intake manifold and acts like a glade coolant smell plug in air freshener haha...

#25 ·
Water leaking on motor is normal?

MF Construction; 1. Leaking water onto the engine at the center seam on the cowl. Dealer say this is normal. [/QUOTE said:
I guess seeing how they all do it makes it normal. But ask the dealer if he thinks its good. Or better yet, ask him if he will be willing to give you the extra parts and labor that will be needed when it comes time to replace your spark plugs at 100 K miles. In other words, a new upper intake manifold and bolts. Because he will have to cut the manifold off because that "normal" water leaking on it and filling two of the bolt holes up with water has rusted the heads off and made them impossible to remove.
I know, because this is my weekend project.

#30 ·
Update, my PM is back home after 7 days. The dealer installed new radiator under warranty and guess what? I still have the coolant smell! There is clearly an issue here with coolant smell and dropping coolant levels and Chrysler needs to figure this problem out. Apparently this issue is not just common to our Promasters but other Chrysler vehicles using the 3.6 engine.

#31 ·
I wonder if our PMs have a different cooling system than my minivan, a Dodge Caravan, same Pentastar engine. I don't have a coolant smell on the minivan nor do my friends who have such minivans. Nor do I remember any mention of this in my minivan forums.

In fact, one of the factors for me getting the PM over say, a Transit, is my good experience with the Pentastar engine in my minivan.

I hope my mine doesn't develop this issue.

By the way, MF Construction, does the dealer acknowledge the smell? Presumably, the mechanics and service advisors have noses as well. Some of the responders to this thread have identified tiny weeping leaks. Maybe have your dealer tighten every coolant line clamp?

Could the smell be coming from the overflow/reservoir bottle and related hoses? That system might not get "tested" using the standard pressure test procedures. Maybe it's a pinhole leak in the bottle or at the filler cap.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but a sporty car of mine from the past had known issues with the coolant reservoir bottle. It was too close to the hot engine and maybe not enough ventilation. Over time, you could see the bottle turn from its new white plastic colour to a brown colour and know that a leak would soon be coming. Some people treated it as a preventative maintenance item and swapped out the bottle when it was somewhat brown...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.