Ram Promaster Forum banner

New Guy on the Board

28K views 87 replies 15 participants last post by  proeddie 
#1 ·
Like many others, I've been lurking and learning from the various discussion threads on promasterforum.com. I'm in the process of converting a 2014 3500 Ext to a camper for my family of four. The details can be found here:

Www.vancave.wordpress.com

I plan to update my vancave site monthly. I'll try to post major advances as they occur on this thread as well.

Also, I'm looking for ideas for a good name for my project and maybe even a vanity license plate... at first, I thought "cRAMper" but it just didn't seem right. My son suggested "KDNPPR" so I had to counsel him on why that may not be well received. A friend suggested "Van Cave" which is better (and was available on Wordpress) but it doesn't feel like the right long-term name. Thoughts?

#7 · (Edited)
Not a very productive weekend. Having installed the A/C, ventilation fan, and thru-roof solar wiring, it was time to finish installing the ceiling insulation. After installing the 1" foil faced foam, I used 5" aluminum HVAC tape to seal all of the seams and joints to create my vapor barrier. Here are a couple pictures of the progress

From the sliding door

For the rear doors

#10 ·
Phranc,
Try opening those pictures in an editor and then saving them to have them right side up. From the phone directly they seem to rotate. I hate to have to hold my computer sideways!
Thanks
RD

#12 ·
Love the blog. I noticed you mention sleeping for four but don't see how it's done. Does one kid sleep across front seats? A floorplan would help us visualize more easily. Vancave is perfect name. My wife would never allow no Windows. You've got great ideas and I don't think actual RV builders go to the trouble of worrying about tanks chafing against straps but the added detail is added insurance against leaks. I noticed you put in the power vent which is great but where does it flow out/in ? Front windows can be opened but might get stuffy in the rear. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

#13 ·
Stan,
The plan includes a 2'x2'x2' ottoman/coffee table that unfolds into two 2'x6' sleeping pads of 4" foam. One will lay down the center hall and the second will lay crossways forward of the bath/kitchenette. Rough layout diagrams are included on the April/May post but those didn't show the sleeping pads.

As far as ventilation goes, front windows will give flow from front while I plan to crack the rear doors to move air from the rear... I'm considering other alternatives to get fresh air in the rear... I'm all ears if you have a good solution. I plan to install "magic screens" in the rear (& sliding) but that won't keep the rain out when ventilating... sliding door will have an awning.

#17 ·
Stan,
The plan includes a 2'x2'x2' ottoman/coffee table that unfolds into two 2'x6' sleeping pads of 4" foam. One will lay down the center hall and the second will lay crossways forward of the bath/kitchenette. Rough layout diagrams are included on the April/May post but those didn't show the sleeping pads.

As far as ventilation goes, front windows will give flow from front while I plan to crack the rear doors to move air from the rear... I'm considering other alternatives to get fresh air in the rear... I'm all ears if you have a good solution. I plan to install "magic screens" in the rear (& sliding) but that won't keep the rain out when ventilating... sliding door will have an awning.
Do you have tank service hatch? Located in betveen driver and passenger seats. For my vent I do use this hatch, it is 7 inches in diameter. I mounted on hole (7") bags-screen, then a box with 12v computer's cooling fan.
This system 7" hole and computer fan I did used for 8 years on my old Sprinter-van. On a Sprinter I did drilled a 7" hole, but on ProMaster hole is ready:D

#21 · (Edited)
I posted the December 2015 progress report at www.vancave.wordpress.com . The big accomplishments for the month of December were installation of overhead cabinets and construction of a hitch mounted kayak carrier that will also allow mounting of a bicycle carrier.... hopefully January will be more productive!

Photos:
1. Passenger side overhead cabinet
2. Driver side overhead cabinet
3. Side view of the kayak carrier with bicycle carrier attached

#22 ·
Phranc,

Seems to me I read somewhere in your blog that you were using a Honda eu2000. I remember you said it would be enclosed and inside? Yes?

Is that part done yet... interested!

I am working on a plan to get air in/out at the back of the van via vents in the two back doors up high above the windows. If I get to work on that, I'll post my experiment, but won't know for sure until CT gets back to summer weather!

Info on blog is GREAT!
Ed

#23 ·
Ed,
You are correct... I will carry a Honda eu2000i generator to power the A/C when there are no plugins available. I plan to carry the generator inside the van under the driver's side bench seat all the way in the back. The generator compartment will be "sealed" from the rest of the bench storage area and accessible only from the rear of the bench. When I need to run the generator, I'll set it up outside and plug it into my external power port. I plan to post pics of that once I get it sealed up... Right now it is only roughed in.

Thanks for the words of encouragement... I'm looking forward to your rear door vent experiment as it may address my future ventilation problem.
Best,
Phranc

#27 ·
Ed,
My 3500 came with rear door windows as well. It appears the existing windows could be removed but I need to confirm the opening dimensions against the Motion Windows website. Even if it is a good fit, I'm looking at $650+ to replace both windows... I think I'll give it a go without messing with the windows to see how bad ventilation is before I shell out the $ or cut more holes in my precious Italian/Mexican/American PM.

#30 · (Edited)
I thought about that and asked a few dealers on the 'net. Most said the Fantastic fan is not designed to be side mounted. I wish it would work, they are "Fantastic"!

The other issue is placement. It would have to go in the center of the passenger door across from the driver door license plate area. Problem is that I'm not sure how much of the hot air collecting up at the ceiling would be drawn out from that location.

In my situation, the carport ceiling is about 3" above the roof of the van, so a roof mount is not do-able.

I also looked at a 5" round ceiling fan mounted above the back windows. In an email the manufacturer advised that the air pressure from driving with the front windows open would probably break the cover off the vent, open or closed!

Right now I'm researching a rectangular vent opening above the windows. Above the windows would be the perfect spot to draw hot air from the ceiling area out the back, and it would be the farthest from the exhaust to minimize exhaust fumes entering the van. It would probably clear Phranc's kayaks too!

The other option I've thought about is to put two 4" pipes from just below the top of the ceiling thru a hole cut in the floor, with a 4" boating vent fan somewhere in each pipe. Might work, but the pipes would be hard to hide in my configuration.

My other thought: have a glass business carefully remove the driver side rear door window. Make an aluminum copy of it, paint it black, and glue or bolt it in place. Then there are a number of options that could be installed in the aluminum plate without making holes all over the van. Someone has done an AC unit in there, I would prefer just a fan with a tilt out window in the center of the aluminum plate.

Of course the best would probably be an aftermarket replacement rear door window that looks just like the original but bolts in at the top and tilts out!

Ed

#32 · (Edited)
VanCave - Jan2016 Update

I posted the January 2016 progress report at www.vancave.wordpress.com . The big accomplishments for the month of January were fabrication of the kitchen countertop, finishing of overhead cabinets, and installing the entertainment system.

Photos:
1. Kitchen Countertop
2. Celebratory bag of solar powered microwave popcorn
3. Entertainment system

#34 ·
I posted the February update to my Promaster camper conversion at www.vancave.promaster.com

Highlights for the month of February include:
- Completed the upholstery
- Installed the table
- Fabricated a telescoping HDTV antenna with magnetic mount
Nice work Phranc!

Bad link on this post, but the progress and website look good. Particularly interested in the TV antenna... will read more!

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.