RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Post 1500 HT 136" ProMaster- plans

I have been looking, lurking, and vicariously learning from everyones' builds. I have been drawing too. My goals are to:

1. Have a van short enough to park on a city street, but be tall enough to stand up in.
2. Have a bed for two that is (nearly) queen size.
3. Have a dinette to sit at, use as an office, and eat at.
4. Have lots of windows, light and airy feel, and be able to make private if needed.
5. Have a place to cook inside and grill and bake outside, store cold foods and drink.
6. Have no Propane to save space, and for safety.
7. Have the parts be modular to allow removal of most of the conversion.
8. Simplify by using a portapotty, and both grey and fresh water jugs, no "tanks"
9. Have the ability to camp remotely for extended time, up to a week or a bit more using an outside shower and latrine if appropriate.
10. Have a heater that is consistent with the above and is quiet.
I will post a couple of times to make my plans clear and show my current drawings. Please contribute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
(Thread Starter)
In order to get all these things I am planning to buy a 1500 High Top Diesel Promaster in the spring and build out my best approximation of these things. It is a van for two. We have camped in a slide-in pickup camper on a 6 1/2 foot truck with an overhead bed. We loved it for its good elements but it had some shortcomings and we are finding it increasingly difficult to open the top, get into the bed, and it is very expensive to drive (12 mpg) The truck is old so we will need to replace it soon. We once had a Westfalia VW van and loved that two and liked the way we could stop, walk back and camp, even in the rain and it was inexpensive to drive (25+ mpg).
I have been a builder, cabinet maker, mechanic, and have training as a plumber and electrician. I have the normal tools associated with these. I have a building to put the van inside while I work. I am no longer young (65) but manage to ride my motorcycles, run a chainsaw, use the internet, and travel etc. I do not have the financial resources to buy a conversion unless I give up something. That ain't gonna happen.
My budget is $6K for the build, van is extra of course. I will sell the truck, the camper is already sold. Here is my build list, I know it is only an estimate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
PMF (08-23-2016), Turf n Surf (11-23-2016)
post #3 of 159 Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
RD, you and I are somewhat on the same page. I call it the difference between "RV" and "campervan," but that's just my terminology. We’re coming from Vanagon to truck tent to Promaster for much the same reasons and with similar goals, but probably less budget.

I am anxious to see your plans. I'm assuming that if it's a 1500, it's a 136' like mine.

post #4 of 159 Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here are the plans:

post #5 of 159 Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
RD, you and I are somewhat on the same page. I call it the difference between "RV" and "campervan," but that's just my terminology. Were coming from Vanagon to truck tent to Promaster for much the same reasons and with similar goals, but probably less budget.

I am anxious to see your plans. I'm assuming that if it's a 1500, it's a 136' like mine.
Yes it is a 136" We love to go into cities to balance our hermit nature so parking even the longer van is out.
I'll adopt the campervan term as I like it for being more specific. Don't even think about being on a smaller budget than us. I avoided the gyrations we need to go through to get the $$. Fortunately we have a way to raise it. Of the $6K we will have less than half but we do have a plan! BTW thanks for your postings!
post #6 of 159 Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
RD,
I was amazed when I read your post. I could have written it, that is how close your plan is to mine. I hope to purchase the very same van in the next month or so. My envisioned layout is almost the same down to the bench seat behind the driver. I hope to add windows all around.
One question, from where do you plan to source the bench seat?

I look forward to more details.
Thanks,
Frank
post #7 of 159 Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 PM
MsNomer

Golly, that looks so good it almost makes me change mine. Well-thought-out. Lots of amenities and still open and light. You might consider swapping the sink and stove, though. Not sure I'd want open flame that close to upholstery. Accidents happen. And you might could put storage under that raised floor.
post #8 of 159 Old 12-09-2014, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35603 View Post
RD,
I was amazed when I read your post. I could have written it, that is how close your plan is to mine. I hope to purchase the very same van in the next month or so. My envisioned layout is almost the same down to the bench seat behind the driver. I hope to add windows all around.
One question, from where do you plan to source the bench seat?
It is a plan that suits many people and honestly I saw some similar set-ups on a Euro Ducato site. I plan to build the seat as a cabinet with storage under the seat (it is 24 inches from the floor to the seat) with a slightly curved seat and backrest and use an upholstered foam for the cushions. I could buy something but would loose space for storage. BTW I plan to put an Espar airtronic D2 under the dinette floor to have it far from the bed and keep the noise down so we can sleep. Easy to get to it with a hinged piece of the floor. That way the dinette floor and seat can be removed as a unit leaving only the heater and its ducts.
You are going to be ahead of me building so I want feedback as you go. Thanks!
post #9 of 159 Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
RDinNHandAZ

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Golly, that looks so good it almost makes me change mine. Well-thought-out. Lots of amenities and still open and light. You might consider swapping the sink and stove, though. Not sure I'd want open flame that close to upholstery. Accidents happen. And you might could put storage under that raised floor.
Good points, the stove is portable anyway and may go anywhere, even outside on a folding table hitched to the galley ala Steve. Done. Thanks. BTW see my post above to see part of what goes below the floor. I think a drawer will work there too. Can goods? A bit of heat lost from the heater will keep them from freezing on a cold night?
post #10 of 159 Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
MsNomer

Europeans are so far ahead of us when it comes to camper vans, as opposed to RV's. It is true, though, that European campgrounds tend to have more amenities, such as spacious kitchen rooms with sinks, burners, counters, seating with tables and boiling water spigots. This room often becomes a social hub at night with a fireplace. With those amenities readily available and desireable, it's easier to KISS.

After having slept on it I find myself leaning even more toward your plan. I had assumed that a dinette was too much, but now I'm not so sure. If all goes well, the swivels will be installed this afternoon. Then I can play around with the idea. Coming at this from a truck tent, even KISS is going to be a palace. One thing I won't change, though, is my permanent bed. The head 2' will fold over to allow a passageway to the back, but I shouldn't have to remake it every day. I don't like making beds even at home.

I will post some pics when I get a mockup done.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page