User Tag List

#1 Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 PM
hemiowner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
PM Motorhome possibilities

This video compares 15 different motorhomes based on the Ducato/Jumper/Boxer vans. Again not exactly the PM but it can give the motorhome enthusiast what the possibilities are when the coach builders get there hands on them.

Gary
2013 Dodge Dart Limited
2006 HEMI Dodge Charger R/T
1968 HEMI Dodge Charger R/T
2004 HEMI Dodge Durango SLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Ram3500'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wouldn't like to use the ProMaster as a motorhome, it just looks to be too compact for my liking. I have seen motorhomes that are more spacious.
#3 Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
DennisV

I agree.

The problem with all these Class B RVs is that they try to cram 10 lbs of "stuff"
into a 5 lb Bag. They are downright claustrophobic. If you want the whole nine yards, you're much better off with a big Class A.

The PM as a minimalist weekender camper on the other hand, will work just fine.
#4 Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Chance

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Itís relative. True Class B motorhomes (not to include Class B+) indeed lack spaciousness compared to larger RVs like Class As, but their smaller size also means improved fuel economy, maneuverability, and ease of driving. They are also easier to maintain and should be serviceable at more locations. And of course they can sometimes serve as a second or third family vehicle. Itís tough to compare them directly.

While much smaller than Class As and most Cs, the largest ProMaster and Sprinter vans are nearly twice as spacious in total volume as previous offerings from Ford, Chevy and Dodge that were common Class B chassis. And compared to the classic Volkswagen camper vans made by Westfalia decades ago they are huge Ė probably 4 or 5 times the interior volume of the original VW microbuses.

Iím personally looking forward to the ProMaster because it will be much larger than my Ford extended Econoline yet probably get better MPG. And with FWD it should drive and handle much better too due to lower center of gravity and improved suspension. The only thing it shouldnít do better than my Ford Econoline is tow.
#5 Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Constatini

To me that just seems a bit too cramped. I would like to be relaxed in my camper and not bumping elbows with my wife trying to reach for my cup of java. But some I could see might find it cozy.
#6 Old 09-10-2013, 04:25 PM
carryon

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thats it. Just going to live in my Promaster. Selling my house tomorrow.
#7 Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 PM
haulin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
last thing you want to do when building an RV is starting with something already too narrow, the ducato/promaster is just too narrow. im sure everyone has seen how wide RV's can get and they're like that for very obvious reaons
#8 Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Chance

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulin View Post
last thing you want to do when building an RV is starting with something already too narrow, the ducato/promaster is just too narrow. im sure everyone has seen how wide RV's can get and they're like that for very obvious reaons
The Ducato/ProMaster is very wide for a van. Inside width up to 74 inches is about 4 inches more than Sprinter. Side walls are also more vertical than most vans. It's also wider than Ford and Chevy vans.

Most camper vans in Europe are based on Ducato -- 2 out of every 3.

Class Bs are not supposed to be as wide as full size RVs. They're supposed to be smaller. And narrower too. It's a niche market, not meant for everyone.
#9 Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 PM
keithwwalker

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I think there is a huge latent market for PM type RV's. Realize that VW dropped the ball and never had a replacement for the Vanagon/Westphalia and the Eurovan.
#10 Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Vladamir

On paper it does sound decent for space but once you add in whatever appliances to accommodate the space gets compromised. Unless you just have a cot and a pillow inside.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page