post #31 of 39 Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM
bobcomptonphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRam View Post
Hi Leo,
I am considering installing a seat in the back too. Just wondering what visibility the rear passengers have. The front seats look awful high, compared to the rear floor!
You are correct. The person in the center can see out the front window, a little (looking upwards) but none of the passengers can see over/around the front seats.

So if you haven't ordered your van yet, get sliding doors with windows on both sides!

On a side note, airflow to the passengers is also an issue. A/C can reach if you aim the two center vents between the front seats, but heat is almost nonexistent, and all the cold air from the rear surrounds their feet and legs. A curtain behind the seat and/or an extra heater (like a hardwired one designed for truckers) is almost a necessity....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 04-07-2015, 10:30 PM
triggergolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Leo,

Nice install. What is the distance available from the bench seat to the double door?
post #33 of 39 Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 PM
ramminjammin

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am going to install some seats also, thanks for the information. Instead of drilling into the structure I think I can have a friend weld me a sub floor to sit on top of the factory floor. There appear to be four reinforced mounting places where I can bolt the removable sub floor to the van, two on the bulkhead behind driver, passenger seats and two on the pillars by the rear doors. If that doesn't seem to be strong enough it looks like it is possible to bolt into the holes where the factory tie down rings are bolted .
The front of the sub floor will be snug up against bulkhead , along with the bolts, that would not allow sub floor to move ahead.When the sub floor is removed then there will not be any floor mount brackets into the factory floor . Quarter inch, or 3/8 steel square tube , with plate decking , then cover with carpet.
The van will be mostly used as a camper so it would be desirable not to have the seat floor bracket holes. Once or twice a year I will probably be using the seats.
I will start a thread and post pictures once it gets started.

Last edited by ramminjammin; 04-09-2015 at 11:02 PM.

post #34 of 39 Old 01-23-2016, 10:06 AM
williambonetto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do those brackets allow the seat to be removed quickly? How high above the finished floor does the bracket protrude?
Thanks.

Bill
Bonetto's Carpentry
post #35 of 39 Old 01-23-2016, 11:25 AM
proeddie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcomptonphoto View Post

...So if you haven't ordered your van yet, get sliding doors with windows on both sides!
Just an FYI,

My van came with a window in the slider on the passenger side only. I installed CRL windows in the rest of the spaces to make it a window van.

Note!!!! The tint on the factory windows is a different color and shade (OEM is lighter and greener) than the CRL tint. The CRL tint is noticeably darker! This applies to the slider and rear door windows.

As a solution, I will be having a tint film applied to the factory-tinted OEM slider and rear door windows to get a better match. The tint film guy tried a few, and it appears a 15% grey tint added to the OEM glass (slider and back) will match the CRL tint, and the color difference is much less noticeable.

Ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum

Last edited by proeddie; 01-23-2016 at 11:33 AM.
post #36 of 39 Old 06-25-2016, 02:44 AM
chilango13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great job Leo! Do you mind shading the CAD drawings? I sent you pm.
post #37 of 39 Old 06-25-2016, 02:46 AM
chilango13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sharing*...typo earlier
post #38 of 39 Old 06-28-2016, 01:54 AM
Nurse Ben

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
In my Sprinter, I had a custom seat base made fron tubular steel that utilized the mounting brackets from a Sprinter bench seat, then I mounted two Sprinter bucket seats to the base. For seat belts I used five point harnesses. Nice seats, five way adjust.

Sprinter bench seats are non adjustable, very upright, poorly padded, possibly the most uncomfortable seats ever made.
post #39 of 39 Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 AM
slamit06

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Another option is sourcing the full size Transit seats with the mounts, the deluxe seats recline a bit. Still have problem of mounting the seat mounts on the floor safely...but a much better alternative than the sprinter ones which I agree are horrible; but so were the seats in the Ford and Chevy older vans. Transit seats can be picked up for similar price to Sprinter. Good quality nice seats will cost way more than a used set from Sprinter or Transit. If you have a 3 point integrated seat belt...don't use large washers to hold the seats, reinforce the mounting...a lot. Those large washers you see for mounting...those are for the belts only, not a seat/integrated seat belt combo. Its way too much weight in an accident for a few large washer to hold through thin sheet metal. It's going to cost you likely more than the seat itself if done right, figure $600-1000 for the mounting reinforcement if done right per each seat. Ouch! I know, I did not like that either, but when I thought about who was sitting in the seat...this is nothing. If you have high end fabrication skills, then its just the cost of the metal and nothing close to this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page