User Tag List

post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Fifaref2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
O2 sensor

Have a 2014 2500 Promaster. Need to replace the o2 sensor bank one. Anybody know where this is located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-15-2017, 05:26 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Garage
It is for the rear set of cylinders and should be between the manifold and the catalytic converter assuming it is the upstream sensor that needs replacement. I’d just get the front of the van up on ramps and slide under with my flash light and my O2 sensor socket and ratchet and the new sensor with me! It should be obvious.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #3 of 9 Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Fifaref2

(Thread Starter)
I don't know if bank 1 is upstream or down. Cant find nothing online for sure.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-15-2017, 06:42 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Garage
No, upstream means BEFORE the catalytic converter and downstream means AFTER it. Bank 1 is the rear set of cylinders Bank 2 is the front set. How do you know it needs replacing?

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #5 of 9 Old 04-15-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Fifaref2

(Thread Starter)
Replaced the motor. The head blew and oil pump went. Couple hours after motor replaced it threw the code for bank 1 o2 sensor. These vans have 1 converter or 2?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 01:41 AM
Kip-on-truckin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
So much basic info to cover! The van has 4 o2 sensors, 2 in each cat. But it is highly unlikely you need one. There are dozens of conditions that cause an o2 sensor code (P0171?) and none of them mean a bad sensor. Lean, rich, vacume leak, injectors, fuel pump, thermostat, alternator...any of those can/will trip that code. Get it to a mechanic who can diagnose it BEFORE you start shotgunning parts.

If you just can't keep your hands off of it, I would suggest swapping both front o2 sensors with both rear ones, and see if the code moves. This would cost nothing and rule out anything and everything related to the sensors. The front cat is easy to get out, the rear cat requires dropping the crossover pipe. But if the engine was just swapped all of that was apart, so you probably wont have much trouble with the bolts. Whole job might take you a couple hours. You might be able to get the sensors out without removing the cats, but it's pretty tight, especially the rear ones.

From personal experience, I know that all 4 sensors are identical, and the cost about $70 each for OEM. Don't even consider putting in the $30 autozone ones, they will fail/ruin your life in short order.

Let us know what happens.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Fifaref2

(Thread Starter)
It was a shop that diagnosed the o2 sensor. Today I located this sensor. It's right above the cat on the back side. My wrench was too big for the area to get a solid bite on it. I may find a shop to do it at minimal cost. I replaced the fan assembly unit today. Removed & installed new from the bottom.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Kip-on-truckin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
Fan assembly isn't that bad of a job, especially once you've done it once. It looks crazy at first, but if you remove the grill (both the outer and inner parts) and then you remove the crosspiece (the crossmember the surge tank is attached to) then the fans easily come out from the top. Once the fan is out, then other jobs become a piece of cake, namely the alternator, a/c compressor, all the hoses and heater hoses. Indeed, getting the intake manifold off is super easy once the crossmember is off.

Next time I do this, I'd like to make a video and put it on youtube. At first glance, the promaster looks like a PITA to service, but it really isn't.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Fifaref2

(Thread Starter)
I didn't do all that to do the fan. I took it out the bottom in couple seconds. Once you unhook the 6 connectors that are plugged in then it's just releasing those 2 top brackets and push up a little and then pull it out from the bottom. This O2 bank 1 sensor 1 is a hard one. At the top of the cat so you can only feel to where you need to put the wrench. I can only fit one arm up there all the way but need a shorter wrench. Shop wants $100 to do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page