User Tag List

post #111 of 113 Old 04-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Brian P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolie22 View Post
... On the trip the transmission would down shift if I was going down a steep hill even at 80 MPH! It did this 3 times, I was in cruise control without manual select. Van was basically empty. I told him I dont think this is right, and he said he has not heard of this and we will see if it does it again with the new transmission. ??? Anyone else have this issue?
This particular situation is by design. It automatically downshifts when going downhill in order to prevent the van from "running away" (coasting to a much higher speed) and also to reduce the risk of overheating the brakes in mountain driving. It's by design ... they all do it because it's by design and that means changing the transmission will not change this ... there's nothing wrong.

It doesn't matter if you are in cruise control or not, it doesn't matter if you have manually selected the highest gear that the transmission is allowed to use (that's all the "manual shift" does), it doesn't matter if you are in "tow/haul" or not. The moment your foot comes completely off the accelerator, it memorizes what speed you are going when that first happened, and if that speed is exceeded by a certain small amount, it starts downshifting to rein it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 113 Old 04-05-2017, 01:05 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Garage
Something happened between 2002 and 2015 in the thinking of the engineering staff and the car designers. My 2002 F150 did not shift down going downhill unless I pulled the lever into a lower gear, neither does my 2002 4 runner or my 2000 Suzuki Vitara. My automated manual transmission on my 2015 diesel will shift down going down hill UNLESS I put it in manual mode and shift up, then it will stay in high gear. Thanks for that! I’d rather control the descent than have it done for me. Oh well!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #113 of 113 Old 04-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Brian P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Sure. Smarter electronic controls with more computing power. And lawyers. And fewer people who know how things work any more. And know-nothing drivers who are crybabies and go running to those lawyers. "I was driving down the side of a mountain with a 5000 lb trailer in tow and my brakes stopped working!"

In the old days, you were supposed to know to downshift to a lower gear to use engine braking when going downhill. It seems that drivers are not expected to know that any more.

I'd rather have some way of opting out of the downhill downshifting, too, but it is what it is.

My daily-driver vehicle has something fewer and fewer people know how to use any more ... a proper manual transmission with three pedals.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page