Additional rear seating - camper van - Page 6 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #51 of 60 Old 11-04-2016, 12:50 AM
Mountain Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for all the info everyone
I'm picking up my new-to-me PM this Saturday, as well as new ford transit seats with mounting brackets. Getting the full set of 10 including a 4 bench, 3 bench, double and a single - won't use them all - only really need 4 or 5 seats in back. I'll play with the options and sell the seats I don't want.. Heck, maybe I'll end up using them all. Gotta be a bomber install for my passengers.. Yet I want to be able to take the seats out as needed. I'll report back with progress.

Last edited by Mountain Time; 11-04-2016 at 12:51 AM. Reason: I said **** - sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 11-04-2016, 11:32 AM
ShaunB

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I bought two sets of the Transit (2 person) seats and mounting rails as well. Heck I don't even have the Promaster yet. I will be interested to see how you mount them. My goal is to use one set permanently mounted in the dinette area, forward facing about 40-48 inches behind the driver seat. The other set will be used when I need to carry an extra 2 people, it will be mounted forward facing roughly between the fronts of the rear wheel wells, under a removable bed. Thats the plan without understanding the mounting challenges.

2016 3500 Ext. Diesel, Black - My Daily Driver on it's way to becoming an adventure van.
post #53 of 60 Old 11-04-2016, 05:06 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Given that the people riding in those seats probably mean a lot to you, I wouldn't do any less than slamit06's recommendations. That's not counting the potential liability even if they don't.

post #54 of 60 Old 11-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Charger7022

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I used seats from a ford transit van. I was able to get 2 sets of 3 for $400 on ebay with the tracks. I was able to configure into a dinette setup and they are removable if I don't need them at all. PM if you would like pictures. here is a link to the seats I got. I was able to pic them up as I'm local. I don't know how much shipping would be. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Ford-Tr...VX-7RN&vxp=mtr
post #55 of 60 Old 11-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Mountain Time

Thanks everyone.

ShaunB - cool - I'd like to see pics and hear how the mounting goes.
MsNomer - Yes, I will be mounting the seats with safety in mind. Welding, steel plates, connect to the frame - whatever I need to do to make them bomber. Slamit's post has some good intel.
Charger7022 - sounds cool - yes I'd love to see pics. I'll PM you..

Got my van yesterday. Love it.. Road tripping from Wisconsin to Colorado tomorrow and Tuesday. Getting the seats tomorrow AM, then heading west!
post #56 of 60 Old 12-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Mountain Time

OK folks, I'm ready to install two rows of rear seats in my PM. I've got a 3 bench seat and a two bench seat pulled from a Transit. I've got the factory mounting brackets for the seats so I can quick release the seats as desired. The three seat can go in back or front or the two seat can go in back or front. The two seat can face front or back, but the three must face forward. (I'll get upics of that once it's all in place..) The plan was to over-engineer the mounting to the point I don't have to worry about the seats not holding in the event of an accident.

Pics here show the seats, the mounting brackets, the 3 shims needed for between the grooves of the van floor and the mounting brackets, and the cross-braces that go underneath to which the brackets are mounted. The little rectangle pieces in the same pic with the seam sealer and bolts are washers I made for above because stock washers did not fit inside the groove of the mounting brackets. I need washers there because the factory holes I'm using are large (see bracket detail pic). Underneath will be just the locking washers. The 5/8" bolts, nuts and locking washers (x 13) are SAE grade 8.

Still with me?

I've used angle iron (2 pieces of 3" x2") and 2 flat plates - one 2" and one 3" width for cross braces underneath, all 1/4" thick. In total there are 3 shims for the 3 rows of mounting brackets on top (the 3 longer pieces), 4 cross beams underneath and one random little piece that I'll show once mounted. All pieces are custom fabricated to some degree, and have been primed then sprayed with rubberized undercoating. Everything will be bolted together to make it all essentially one unit once assembled.

Much time has been spent figuring this all out - placing the seats, measuring, re-measuring, making sure all the penetrations and bolts line up right for the placement of the cross beams and don't interfere with brake lines, muffler, etc., and of course making sure things will be SOLID once mounted. Many hours have also been spent in fabrication - cutting steel, grinding, drilling the 5/8" holes in 1/4" steel. This was all a YUGE task. Now all I have to do is the final install. I know this part will be easy as I've already done a dry run to make sure it all lines up properly before I sanded, primed and sprayed all the pieces.

Anyway, I hope this looks good to you all, especially to those with experience in this sort of thing in terms of its engineering and stability.. I have the option to add additional support pieces fairly easilly, but I hope this passes the smell test and everyone agrees this is indeed over-engineered.

I should have this install complete in the next few days and I shall post pics.

- Peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van_5.jpg (425.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg van_4.JPG (458.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg van_3.jpg (480.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg van_2.JPG (444.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg van_1.JPG (480.3 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Mountain Time; 12-26-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: and the ...cross-braces that go underneath to which the brackets, two outside shims and 4 cross braces are mounted.
post #57 of 60 Old 12-27-2016, 02:52 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Looks great! Unbelievable deal on those seats also. I would have loved a double one when I was doing my build instead of two buckets.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
post #58 of 60 Old 12-27-2016, 08:49 AM
ShaunB

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for MountainTime for sharing. I have two sets of the double seats (fabric not vinyl) and will be following your progress.

2016 3500 Ext. Diesel, Black - My Daily Driver on it's way to becoming an adventure van.
post #59 of 60 Old 01-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Mountain Time

Ok, here's the final install.. Sorry for the image quality.

Because this install involves 3 rows of tracks to accommodate 2 rows of seats, with one of the track rows being two different pieces, this was a particularly tricky install. Tracks want to move when you tighten the bolts, etc. The bolts underneath I ended up spraying with the undercoating.

I'm really happy with this and feel confident it's very, very solid. Everyone I've consulted with has said it's over-engineered which is what I was going for. I don't have pics of all the seating options I have but I made a graphic for you (not to scale..) 90% of the time I'll just have the 3 seater in the rear most position. (the green +)

Thanks to all and here's to livin' on Mountain Time..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9195.JPG (108.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9203.JPG (96.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9205.JPG (94.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9206.JPG (107.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9208.JPG (86.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9209.JPG (206.9 KB, 100 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain Time For This Useful Post:
ShaunB (01-16-2017), superdot09 (04-22-2017)
post #60 of 60 Old 01-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Mountain Time

Here are some of the configuration options..

Now I get to finish insulating, panel it out and install some windows.

Then I'm done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seats_configuration.jpg (56.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg promaster_seats_1_1116.jpg (215.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9442.jpg (199.2 KB, 139 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain Time For This Useful Post:
Novacaine31 (02-06-2017)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page