Ram Promaster Forum banner

Review my Wiring Diagram

16K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  seapro 
#1 ·
Hey there folks! I am wrapping up the wiring diagram that I am working on for my sister, she is building out a PM in Denver, CO. I am in Oregon lending my hand where needed. I have sent this information out to a couple of friends in the solar and electrical business, but more eyes would be appreciated. Attached is the load information and the wiring diagram. On the diagram I have yet to add the 14Ga. wire that they will need, but in most cases, it is jacketed strand 2-wire. For the lights and outlet string they will need to use single conductor strand wire.

Any advice would be highly recommended.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi Justin,

A couple thoughts...

The #7 wires supplying the 2000 watt inverter seem small.
If you are going to want to be able to use the alternator at 2000 watts, that's about 2000/12 = 167 amps. This voltage drop table says you would need something more like 2 gage depending on length of wire.
http://www.solarseller.com/dc_wire_loss_chart___.htm

The wire that connects the PM battery to the house battery (via the BludSea VCR) should be fused or breakered on both ends (ie a fuse near the PM battery and a 2nd one near the house battery). This is because both batteries are large current sources, so a short anywhere along this wire to ground can pull excessive current from either battery.

The max current for for 10 gage wire is 30 amps, but you have a 40 amp fuse in the wire from house battery to the DC fuse panel -- seems like it should be a 30 amp fuse? Is 30 amps OK for the max DC loads you expect to see at one time? That is, should the 10 gage be larger?
You might also want to check voltage drop along this wire to make sure its less than 2% for you max DC load situation (link above).
http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

In the wiring from PM battery to house battery, you show a wire connecting the plus terminals (via the VCR), but don't show a negative wire -- that is, you are relying on the chassis grounds to care this load. I guess this is OK if you have really good chassis grounds, but if it were me, I would (and did) run a full size 2 gage wire between the negative terminals on the two batteries. Chassis grounds corrode over time and can be a real pain.

I don't claim any expertise in this stuff, so feel free to disagree :)

Gary

#13 ·
Hi Justin,

A couple thoughts...

The [URL=http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7]#7 [/URL] wires supplying the 2000 watt inverter seem small.
If you are going to want to be able to use the alternator at 2000 watts, that's about 2000/12 = 167 amps. This voltage drop table says you would need something more like 2 gage depending on length of wire.
http://www.solarseller.com/dc_wire_loss_chart___.htm

The wire that connects the PM battery to the house battery (via the BludSea VCR) should be fused or breakered on both ends (ie a fuse near the PM battery and a 2nd one near the house battery). This is because both batteries are large current sources, so a short anywhere along this wire to ground can pull excessive current from either battery.

The max current for for 10 gage wire is 30 amps, but you have a 40 amp fuse in the wire from house battery to the DC fuse panel -- seems like it should be a 30 amp fuse? Is 30 amps OK for the max DC loads you expect to see at one time? That is, should the 10 gage be larger?
You might also want to check voltage drop along this wire to make sure its less than 2% for you max DC load situation (link above).
http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

In the wiring from PM battery to house battery, you show a wire connecting the plus terminals (via the VCR), but don't show a negative wire -- that is, you are relying on the chassis grounds to care this load. I guess this is OK if you have really good chassis grounds, but if it were me, I would (and did) run a full size 2 gage wire between the negative terminals on the two batteries. Chassis grounds corrode over time and can be a real pain.

I don't claim any expertise in this stuff, so feel free to disagree :)

Gary
!. Was going with #7 because the manufacturer supplies them. But I understand this now. Will correct to use #2 wire. Length is going to be as short as possible.

2. So what I am reading here is that I should scrap the 80A Maxi Fuse and add large breakers on either end of the ACR, as close to the batteries as possible. Any recommendations on what breaker to use would be helpful.

3. Switching the wire to #8 on the pos and neg leads for the fuse block. 40A is what we are planning the load max for.

4. Understood. I will run a #2 wire from PM battery to the House battery that is not already connected to the PM battery.

#14 ·
You are correct. My math is wrong and brings up the AH significantly. Also no furnace fan. We are waiting to see how the van envelope performs before going backward to adjust for a heater if necessary. Would be a pain but it was decided that this path was more advantageous than installing an expensive heater and only needing it a few days out of the year.

#4 ·
Justin,

You're showing the (5) 12V outlets wired in series.... I'm sure you meant parallel (ie. all +'s together to fuse panel, all -'s to ground.)

These 12V and dual USB are readily available on eBay at some very cheap prices.... I have 'em all over my van. On the counter, I put a few of them in a box. In the columns, I just drilled a hole in the plastic panel for them.

ed

#9 ·
Id recommend circuit breakers for this exact reason. When you do trip one its easy to find whats tripped and reset it. Searching for a blown fuse in the dark is not fun for anyone. While those marine fuses are nice and small where do you get replacements when you are out in the bush and one pops?

#11 · (Edited)
Justin,

It is awesome that you are helping your sister with her build. I am in Hood River and have reviewed and advised a number of DIY van up-fitters regarding electrical diagrams. Feel free to call me to go over your diagram.

My daughter lives in Denver. I would be happy to speak with your sister directly if she has any questions.

All the best,
Hein
Impact, Inc.
Hood River, OR
54l 49O 5O98

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.