Ram Promaster Forum banner

constant ac on?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LarryK 
#1 ·
i bought my promaster used in middle of recent winter and i noticed it takes a long time to heat up. i chalked it up to the large interior that needs time to heat up. fast forward to now and i noticed while i was driving with windows closed and the fan on medium speed and i noticed cold air is constantly blowing in from the side vents and its warm out. i checked to see if the ac light was on and it was off and i pressed it it came on . i dont know if i am nuts or what but i am getting the feeling the ac is on all the time , maybe it explains why it takes a long time to heat up in the cold temps when its below 40 degrees outside. if i open the windows while driving, it starts to warm up inside from warm air from outside during summer heat, but if i close the windows is starts to get cool inside. of all the cars i had, i never had one like this.

is there any way to tell if the van is running ac or not? i cant tell from the noise of ac compressor is on or not which is why i asking here.

#3 ·
I'd check AC lines under the hood to see if the evaporator side is cold. It there is a problem with the pump, it could be running even if the electronics are not calling for AC. In the old days the AC clutch could lock up and you tell by looking at the center of the pulley to see it it's turning. Now I think most are variable displacement and the regulating function is internal to the pump. The AC refrigerant line temp would be the only way to know for sure.

#5 ·
If your outlet control is in either of the Defrost positions (knob rotated clockwise), the A/C compressor will come on and blow air out of the slit vents next to the side windows. If the temp control is fully blue (counter-clockwise) you will get cold air out of those vents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.