Ram Promaster Forum banner

Gas Tank

PM City 
16K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Winston 
#1 ·
We have purchased a 2015 Promaster City and everything is going good, except for the fact that when the Distance till Empty shows --- across it, meaning that it is REALLY low, i can only put in a MAX of 13 gallons (which this thing has a 16.5 gallon tank in it). We have went back to the dealer asking for answers, and they state that the light will kick on when there is approx 6 gallons of gas in the tank (which i can understand since the red line is right under a quarter tank), but when the DTE shows --- in my other vehicles, this means pull over soon. Not when you have more than 3 gallons of gas left. Has anyone else had this problem? We run these vehicles for service, and gasing up every 12 or so gallons when you should be getting 2 or more gallons out of it is a little weird. Unless thats just the way it is. Let me know if anyone else experiences a similar issue. Thanks.

#3 ·
KOV is right and fouling the evaporative canister and associated system with raw gas can result in fuel from it being drawn into the vacuum system and running the vehicle rich which the emissions system cannot cure by leaning the fuel. Can you get away with topping up those two gallons? Perhaps but codes, ruined evaporative canister, vacuum lines needing purging, service time are just as likely. Why would anyone want to risk such a thing? Fill the tank, stop, run the vehicle until the low fuel light comes on then if you are brave (carry a can for the experiment) run it for 50-60 more miles or so and if it doesn’t run out you have your extra 2 gallons. This is the situation on all gas vehicles since about 1997 or so.

#4 ·
On several occasions I have run my PMC to almost empty.
Ironic because I manage a Marine Corps Exchange store with a gas station attached to it.
But I can tell you that, when the first warning comes on you will get the (---) for range
Then, the range will repopulate at somewhere around 35-65 miles till empty. (mine consistently shows either of the 2.) It will sit there for many more driven miles until the low fuel alarm beeps (first warning, only the dash indicator telling you low fuel, no beep...at least that's what mine does. I say that because, ever since I changed out the UConnect to an aftermarket Media player, my dash does some crazy s**t from time to time!)

I have gone at least 22 miles (distance from my house to work), with the low fuel warning on from the time I left my house, all the way to work.
And, my drive consists of a trek over to the other side of the island, up an incline for about 9-10 miles, then down hill for about 4 miles, the rest of it pretty level. All while averaging 70 mph.

So, I can honestly say, from 1st low fuel warning, you'll get at least another 20-25 more miles until you would really need to fill up. Considering my heavy foot up that hill, probably a bit more.

Didn't realize the issue with the evaporator canister, but then after the first click off of the gas nozzle, I round off to the nearest $.25 and call it a day. I tried to top off once attempting to squeeze in an extra $.30 to get to that even dollar amount, and ended up with fuel all over the place. Another bit of irony, because I should've known better.
So when that nozzle clicks off, you really don't have much room left to put more gas.

Hope this helps! Good luck...Aloha!

#6 ·
but then after the first click off of the gas nozzle, I round off to the nearest $.25 and call it a day. I tried to top off once attempting to squeeze in an extra $.30 to get to that even dollar amount, and ended up with fuel all over the place.
Interesting . . . we have this 'thing' for 'topping off'. Not sure how we got into this habit . . . of filling the tank to the TOP. We think it's both wanting an accurate "fill point" for measuring mileage as well as trying to make the Promaster tank larger than it is (we are still hurting from the loss of our 700 mile range in our TDI VW Jetta).

Anyway, we can consistently put an additional 2+ gallons of gas in the tank after 'first click-off'. We know we're not supposed to do that . . . but two gallons is two gallons.

#5 ·
it used to drive me crazy when i go on long trips that uses a whole tank one way. i used to get nervous when it counts down to -- miles left but i am still running and then when i fill up - i would scratch my head. 26 gallons tank minus what i put in,,, huh i could have gone much much further before refilling.i learned to keep an eye on what mileage i been burning it at and figure how many miles i "should have" left in tank , otherwise i just fill it up early and be done with it. nothing like a full tank .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.