Help me sway the she-boss....solar panel - Page 8 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #71 of 77 Old 01-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Zoomyn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Sam's Links fail to show details so I enter Miami, FL as location... and its a $180 6 Volt AGM Sealed Valve Regulated battery w/ 190A @ 20 amp hour rate. Nice.

Up here in the frozen North we get different offerings of batteries, must come down to ability to outlive their warranties in extreme cold in order to be sold, that battery is not one of them - and we rank 19th on States golf courses per capita. I wonder if Sams Club only sells those batteries in the top 10 or 5 Golfing States... : )

On that note, I hope you can get a temperature compensated charger as it will extend the useful life of the battery in any climate.

About fitting PV panels - get out a ladder and try cardboard templates & play with foot prints of the Mach8 and Maxxair fan and some various PV panel sizes (the Eclipse 100w panel measures 40.9 x 20.8 inches) For a vent fan I went with the Maxxair Deluxe with the rain cowl built in and put it as close to the rear edge of the roof as possible to maximize roof area for solar.... and promptly blocked being able to use a lift bed to hide the bedding etc away by pressing it to the ceiling >do'h!< since I'd gotten tunnel vision on getting that one project piece installed and weather-tight..

2014 Diesel 2500 window wagon
Michelin 245x75x16 Defenders
11 June 2015 delivery
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomyn For This Useful Post:
medicineman4040 (01-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 77 Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
They have them in NH. I saw some today.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.
The Following User Says Thank You to keeponvaning For This Useful Post:
post #73 of 77 Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Zoomyn

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Now I see them in Chicagoland & Wisconsin now.. hmnn, used to be lists of "available only in these States" on batteries that's seems to have been struck from their site.

If you really go with A/C located in the center of the roof, side to side & front to back, look closely at the roof support beam locations and the locations they provide - the sheetmetal is stamped with a reinforced area just behind the cab that may offer the best aerodynamics by putting the A/C cowl out of the way of straight line wind from the windshield/front slope air flow passing over it. Out here, in the flatland prairies, strong crosswinds make any cheat on getting external items as aerodynamic as possible worthwhile, it was a good choice on the 8-inch tall A/C...

Here is a side view of the Mach8, the F/R centerline marked in relation to the 14"x14" cut-out area required if* you feel like doing the cardboard template schtick, to get the relations to both interior & external add-ons you'll be doing. Just thinking maybe it'd be no fun cooking standing in a cold draft or having too-cold sweep the sleeping area, etc. etc..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MACH_8_1.jpg (32.8 KB, 12 views)

2014 Diesel 2500 window wagon
Michelin 245x75x16 Defenders
11 June 2015 delivery
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomyn For This Useful Post:
post #74 of 77 Old 01-12-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OK while we're on a roll soon enough I'll have to make the inverter-charger decision.
I think Gary is using the Tripp-lite 1250
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-AP...ripp+lite+1250
Seems like it does what we want it to do-
3 stage battery charging
auto-switching for ac
affordable
enough watts from DC for what we would typically run.
At first I thought I needed pure sine wave inverter for my laptop but I've since discovered other ways to charge my laptop battery when driving so
that's not a big issue anymore.

Can anyone thing of a better charger-inverter for that price listed at Amazon ?
post #75 of 77 Old 01-12-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

(Thread Starter)
Zoomyn, for those decisions on the actual placement we are going with the installers suggestions.
We have both seen his work and it is immaculate. We know he's done several Promasters including his own personal Promaster
so in the end whatever he says will be fine....e.g. we're not going to push him. Honestly we're just lucky his shop is 1/2 block from
where Poof works part time in the greenhouse.
It will all be good in the long run

I've noticed on this board how many Promaster van conversion owners are constantly tweeking/improving/changing and that's OK. I'm
sure we'll be in that group after we live out of it a few trips. Maybe then we'll push for changes.

I just keep reminding myself how simple/industrial our build will be. The Legends KKS floor is a perfect example.
post #76 of 77 Old 01-12-2017, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedV865 View Post
Medicineman, you are in Bristol? Knoxville here. I usually only hit Bristol when we have events at Bristol Motor Speedway. I'm curious who you are having help with your build. I plan to do most of all my work since I learned years ago I could screw my car repair up cheaper than paying someone else to do it. I also have a better chance at getting it right. If you don't feel comfortable saying in public, PM me. I would like to know who all in the area can do work on a class B conversion.

After seeing the top of the line AGM costly battery for an effective 100 Amp hour is $500 ish just for battery, at 50% usable for 200AmpHour batterys.
The GPS LiFMP of equivalent use is $744 at Elite Power Solutions. http://elitepowersolutions.com/produ...931836ea8c51f8 2 of the 60AmpHour = 2 of the 60AMpHr leads to 96 Amp hour at 80% discharge. Yes Lithium costs more but when you factor in the medical costs of no hernia or muscle strain handling them and with proper BMS they start getting cost effective.

for a complete system the distributor link leads to.. http://www.lithiumrvbattery.com/Lith...0AH_Cells.html They list systems on the 100AmpHr multiplication, effectively on the 80AmpHr multiplication. so 80, 160, 240, AmpHr usable. The prices there are complete drop in, you wire it together systems.

I am being devils advocate here. I do believe in lighter, faster, stronger. I will never again use a liquid acid battery. Had a liquid battery shoot acid onto my leg and crotch on a motorcyle. If it wasn't for ATGATT to keep the acid from hitting my skin, I hate to think the consequence.
Ted sorry for the late reply.
No secrets with me. I work in Bristol and live in Johnson City and/or Roan Mountain depending on weather and mood
The outfitter of the van is in Asheville,NC where the she-boss works part time. I cannot remember the name of his company
I'll ask Poof since she walks right by it three days a week and post it for you.
Currently in his garage is a Promaster in progress and I think he just finished one. Very very posh work.
post #77 of 77 Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Exciting time ahead! You are going to love this van no matter what you do or don't do to it!

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster fully converted for camping.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page