User Tag List

post #1 of 6 Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Operator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Expedite Freight Drivers

I'm wondering how many expedited/hotshot drivers there are on this board. I am considering getting into that line of work and leaning heavily towards the Promaster. I was hoping some drivers can chime in on their experiences or provide any other info such as how much weight y'all go up to, the full 4,000 lbs? I read a thread or two from keep on trucking about needing another motor in his pm and watched a review by a hotshot driver on YouTube and he needed to put another engine in his pm at about 170k something miles. Thanks in advance, Ray.

Last edited by Operator; 05-12-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2017, 01:33 AM
charity's van

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
expeditorsonline.com
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM
one3bravo

Expedite is not for everyone. Even if you have experience in OTR driving...you should experience it first before you make such a purchase. Lots of sitting...and sometimes driving straight through up to 1,000 miles in one shot.

Advise that you hook up with a fleet owner and drive as a contract driver for a minimum of a year to get an understanding of the line of work.

If you decide its for you, I recommend a 2016 or newer 2500 promaster high roof. Will give you approximately 3500 lbs of load capacity.

Also, this year has been ungodly slow....for all companies...I've made just enough for expenses this year. I'm always out, rarely spend time at home, and generally accept any load offered to be. Just food for thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to one3bravo For This Useful Post:
Operator (05-18-2017)

post #4 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Operator

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info one3bravo. I have a friend who's doing it now and he wants to go on his own and will take me in as a partner. He already has a contact who will set everything up as far as MC and DOT number, LLC setup, and loads, etc. He's driving a Transit and usually goes up to about 2500 lbs on long runs and will go up to 3000 or so lbs for short runs to save wear and tear on his van. I do plan on buying a new PM 2500 159" wheel base high top. The PM seems to have more cargo room than the Transit.

Could you help me out with expediter "lingo", what is meant when talking about traveling in "lanes". Read a thread with Kip-On-Trukin and 3500pro where Kip-On-Trukin said they "travel in the same lanes"? While doing research, I've seen the term "lanes" mentioned, but can't determine it's meaning or the context of it when referring to expediters.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Kip-on-truckin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage
Lanes doesn't really apply to expediting as much as regular trucking. But I use it to refer to common cities and shippers. Said another way, there ain't no lanes in Boise Idaho.

This summer, I'm going to be doing some experimenting with running under my own authority, but it'd be pretty risky jumping in like that. Instead, sign with one of the major carriers - you can leave anytime you want to.

I have tons of advice, but I'm rather happy I ponied up for the 159 extended. It doesn't really affect what loads you take, but if you are gonna live in it full time, you'll want every inch of space you can get. I haul up to 4300#, but those loads are pretty rare - 80% are under 2000.

Expediting is a good gig if you like to drive, and don't mind being alone. Expect $1200-1600/week gross.

I live in a hot area, so I often just deadhead home most nights, and I have little kids so I'm home every weekend. This hits my profitability, but it's still worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kip-on-truckin For This Useful Post:
Operator (05-19-2017)
post #6 of 6 Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Operator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip-on-truckin View Post
Lanes doesn't really apply to expediting as much as regular trucking. But I use it to refer to common cities and shippers. Said another way, there ain't no lanes in Boise Idaho.

This summer, I'm going to be doing some experimenting with running under my own authority, but it'd be pretty risky jumping in like that. Instead, sign with one of the major carriers - you can leave anytime you want to.

I have tons of advice, but I'm rather happy I ponied up for the 159 extended. It doesn't really affect what loads you take, but if you are gonna live in it full time, you'll want every inch of space you can get. I haul up to 4300#, but those loads are pretty rare - 80% are under 2000.

Expediting is a good gig if you like to drive, and don't mind being alone. Expect $1200-1600/week gross.

I live in a hot area, so I often just deadhead home most nights, and I have little kids so I'm home every weekend. This hits my profitability, but it's still worth it.
Thank you for the info. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a friend who is doing it, and he's driving for someone now. I'm going to start driving for the same guy. This guy basically takes a 13% cut of the load for using his authority. This guy my friend is driving for gave him access to the load boards so my friend is already bidding on his own loads and pretty much does things on his own. My friend wants to go on his own and will take me in as a partner. We already have a contact who can set us up with our authority, LLC setup, contacts for loads, etc. We also both live in an ideal location (Houston) for this line of work. I also already have a TWIC card due to my current job which is a plus as well. He doesn't seem to have a problem getting loads.

As far as driving long distances, I don't have a problem with that at all. I've been doing it all my adult life. I retired the Coast Guard in '08, my first long distance drive was from Houston to Portsmouth VA when I was 18 and made several trips back and forth from there. Made many drives from Tampa FL to Houston and back. Also, my last unit in the Coast Guard was a deployable unit, I've made quite a few cross country drives in either a Chevy 3500 dually or Ford F450 steakbed pulling a 9700# boat. My Dad drove trucks for a couple stints, so driving long distance isn't a problem for me, it's in my blood, LOL.

I currently work shift work at a power plant (which I've already turned in my two weeks notice and last day is next Friday) and I don't have a whole lot of flexibility when I need time off short notice since it screws someone else over when they have to come in to work when they are expecting the day off. My main motivation and end game is to be self employed so I do have that flexibility since I too have a family with kids. If I need to take a day off, I can. My long term goal is to eventually take on other drivers as well and hopefully grow. Worst case scenario, if I crash and burn, I could always go back to shift work.

Oh, BTW, thank you for explaining what "lanes" are!

Last edited by Operator; 05-19-2017 at 03:03 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page