User Tag List

post #81 of 86 Old 04-22-2017, 01:22 PM
ananda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamit06 View Post
...Swivels make is super tight. (height) Pretty sure it won't fit. ... Pretty sure they would fit, especially if you had a box.

I appreciate your response but I can be easily confused, so...

1) Would Group 78 with external box around battery likely fit under the factory swivel seat?

2) Would Group 78 with no external box around battery likely fit under the factory swivel seat?

Again, thank you.

Also, still looking for actual dimensions of clear space under the factory swivel seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 AM
KeepMeMoving

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananda View Post
Can AGM's really be placed on their side without any added risks (assuming all else is equal)?
Thanks!
When I asked the manufacturer they said they it could be installed on its side.

2016 PM 136 Low Roof Gas Engine. oldmassrambler.com
The Following User Says Thank You to KeepMeMoving For This Useful Post:
ananda (04-26-2017)
post #83 of 86 Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 AM
seapro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Yes, AGMs can be installed on their side but there is one thing to watch out for. Some batteries (not all) such as the Deka 8D that I have have tops that slightly overhang the sides and ends of the case. If these batteries are placed on their side the weight is not carried evenly but rather the weight is carried on the back edge of the case and the edge of the overhanging top. This causes undue stress on the edge of the top and easily causes failure of the top to case side joint. Two fixes are are easy. One is to install the battery on its side with the wider top edge overhanging the edge of the shelf so that the weight is carried evenly by the battery side. The other is to put some material such as a half inch of compressible insulation under the battery side with the top edge overhanging. This is the best as these batteries sometimes swell a tad in size so the side becomes very slightly uneven. The compressible material under keeps the weight evenly distributed rather than the weight being carried by the swollen areas centered at each internal cell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seapro For This Useful Post:
ananda (04-26-2017), PopeAng (04-26-2017)

post #84 of 86 Old 05-04-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
slamit06

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I appreciate your response but I can be easily confused, so...

1) Would Group 78 with external box around battery likely fit under the factory swivel seat?

2) Would Group 78 with no external box around battery likely fit under the factory swivel seat?

Again, thank you.

Also, still looking for actual dimensions of clear space under the factory swivel seat.
Swivel is going to be top of the frame of the seat...so this really limits the size of battery unless you put it on it's side. You can find dimensions of batteries and boxes on mfg websites...mock it up under the seat and that will tell you if it works. I used the smaller size specifically because I knew 100% it would fit and I ordered from company that I knew I could return the box to if it did not fit. Like most things you gotta learn the hard way. Right now in a PM I am putting two AGM 6V large batteries getting 225 AH of power. However they are in a custom box/tray under the van near rear axle. Fully custom tray, and even then there was a bunch of tweeks that needed to be done after fitting. Certainly not cheap to do, but no battery bank done properly is inexpensive; especially large ones like what I am doing easily exceed $1500 just in parts when all said in done. The cabling alone I am using is $400 with fuses and bus blocks.
The Following User Says Thank You to slamit06 For This Useful Post:
ananda (05-04-2017)
post #85 of 86 Old 05-04-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
slamit06

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
With swivel seats height was the limiting factory...I could not get anything higher than the taylor box hat was 8 7/8 inches high under a low profile seat swivel. This was after I cut the floor padding away and set the box flat on the floor. I had mm's left of clearance, but it did fit. Given this height limitation with swivel seat; you would have to put battery on side if you want to go bigger and use a box. The Promasters are just tough to fit large batteries in without taking up interior space or doing a custom box under the van. At this time no one yet does a tray/box yet for under the van that is "bolt" in. The tray I have is a fully custom welded in box. It would easily cost someone $800 to duplicate due to fabrication time involved if you had a skilled fabricator (6-8 hours) and it is not bolt in at all. It does however hold two 225ah 6v AGM's.

Last edited by slamit06; 05-04-2017 at 01:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to slamit06 For This Useful Post:
ananda (05-04-2017)
post #86 of 86 Old 05-14-2017, 11:05 PM
vroom

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone put a lithium battery under a seat? They're generally smaller, so it should theoretically be easier, right?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page