User Tag List

post #51 of 56 Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Garage
Festival day for the diesel haters! I too have a diesel tractor. It smells, I have to carry the fuel from a station, it makes smoke but...... when it is doing my work all is forgiven. The van is a completely different experience. The exhaust has NO SOOT and NO Smell. I do take a paper towel to keep the smell of the pump handle off, but I fill up a the green pump handle at normal stations and I have found them to be clean and neat. We have never had any problem finding diesel at practically any station in any town. Gas Buddy is your friend. Truck stops are filthy, only a fool uses them to get diesel in a van or car. The gas pump handle is the next one over and so the gasser guys get the same experience I do, where were you getting fuel? For the past year diesel has cost less than gas but now has risen to 10% over. I get an engine that never shifts down, pulls like a freight engine, gets 50% better fuel mileage is quiet, smooth and starts like a gasser as far as I can see. Perhaps you all bought a diesel too early before the experience improved. I just get frustrated that you cannot appreciate that THIS diesel is done right and your bad experience is due to bad product. And, yes I did have one of those Mercedes, it was a belcher, no start, POS. The Jetta had only one good trait..... fuel mileage, I drove one thousands of miles! The PM diesel is a different diesel, a truly exceptional product. Please get over it, listen to a voice of reason...... ME. Didn’t your mother tell you “If you’ve got nothing good to say .............. “ LOL!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel

Last edited by RDinNHandAZ; 04-12-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 Old 04-12-2017, 02:13 PM
NorthernRPM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Agreed! This diesel / AM transmission is a great combination that reflects good engineering . Having experienced two Sprinters , one really good , one only so-so; it was the MB attitude (and prices) that directed me to the PM. Again, so far so good,68 k km. However, I also must put up with smelly , smokey exhaust (on start up ),yellow fuel containers and the occasional minor spill when refuelling, and slower pick-up ,and rough ride ,but then again I don't take long trips in my Kubota.

2015 2500 diesel 159 HT Crystal Granite
post #53 of 56 Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Quest4Adv

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
They make a gas PM???

Learn something new everyday.

2015 136" HR, Diesel, Deep Cherry Red.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then... Bob Seger

post #54 of 56 Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 PM
2much2c

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'll start with an amusing anecdote. I parked next to a Honda Element (btw, I owned one, loved it) and the owner wrinkled her nose and asked me about my Promaster 2500 159 mpg. I told her it's better than her car and she laughed at me. The Element max mpg is 25. I consistently get 26. On the hwy I can get 28. So, the mpg readout just makes me giddy on a daily basis. I only have 12k on it... Let's see if I have the same warm and fuzzy feelings at 120k. I actually like the transmission. By modulating the gas pedal I can control when it shifts. When I perform a series of seamless shifts it takes me back when disco was king and I mastered shifting a manual transmission. Running down the highway keeping up with traffic is not an issue and charging up mountain grades makes me grin. Regarding diesel exhaust being smelly and dirty...it's not an issue! When the engine is running the exhaust smells like chlorine. No soot or sulphur smell. At the pumps I've never smelled diesel while pumping and never got it on my hands.Around these parts diesel is the same price as regular...has been for the last 18 months. Regarding adding DEF. The indicator pops on and you have a couple of 100 miles to get your act together and add it. Everyone sells it and the packaging for the 2.5 gallon tanks is amazing. Pop the cap, insert the tube, tip and the DEF just shoots into the tank. No glugging or endless waiting for the container to empty out. Barring any outrageous diesel repair bills down the road I'm guessing the running expenses are the same as gas. I'm sure(hoping)resale is higher which will slightly offset the premium for diesel option.
post #55 of 56 Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Garage
I have done a cost calculation based on these factors: for a year diesel was cheaper than gas (25K miles), then 10% more, 50% better fuel mileage (26 vs 17), my cost of the diesel option ($4,000-13%= $3,480), that my oil changes are done 1/3 as often and cost a bit over 3 times as much ($70 vs $20), DEF @7.88 per 2 1/2gal, and payoff FOR ME is just over 80,000 miles of which I have 30,000 now. Today it will be 100K miles or a bit more. YMMV
HOWEVER!
I didn’t buy the diesel for that reason. I bought it for the better driving experience- priceless. In the long run the reliability will be the telling factor. All the naysayers and gripers that I talked to about their Sprinters and Mercedes have been shown to be wrong so far. VW TDI owners tended to like their cars until you-know-what hit the fan.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #56 of 56 Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
I'll stick with my gasser, thank you

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=43121

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page