2500 High Roof 3 door van Transmission and related issues? - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
MorrisM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2500 High Roof 3 door van Transmission and related issues?

Hey guys,

Forgive me if this is not the right section to post this in. If it isn't please let me know so i don't repeat my mistake in the future. But anyway I had some questions to ask in regards to the transmission, maintenance and other features of my ProMaster.

I was doing some additional research into my 2500 and I keep seeing issues that people have with the transmission giving out fairly early on in the mileage cycle. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this or to see if this was just hearsay. Additionally I've seen some complaints that people had about struggling to get parts for maintenance and repairs (whenever the need arises) so I wanted to ask if anyone had any similar experiences. Is it hard to get things fixed if something goes wrong? Will mobility be damaged or is there usually a quick turn around time for smaller, easier types of maintenance?

As of right now the ProMaster works great and it functions pretty well, all considered. I just have the tendency to plan ahead so I wanted to reach out to you more experienced members to see if there was anything I should know or look out for in regards to the things talked about above.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 04:21 PM
phil

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
gas or diesel?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Garage
This has been an area that FCA has not yet gotten right. Often the service intervals for seemingly small parts has been weeks long. Even simple things like a starter may take a week or more to secure. When a transmission failure occurs the local dealer fixes it as it has been parts like a flex plate that generally needed for the repair. Times for this have varied widely. We even had a poster who had to wait for over a week because the dealer said there wasn’t a lift free until then! Some dealers have had good turn around times of a few days. It doesn’t appear there is a consistent service response. Parts availability seems to be getting better from the first couple of years. Once these vans get out of warrantee aftermarket rebuilders will have transmissions and independent repair shops will replace them, and that will be the same as any other vehicle.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
The Following User Says Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
tgregg (02-22-2017)

post #4 of 8 Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 PM
Love van

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just last week there was a high roof extended wheelbase, gas Pm with a local dry cleaning companies logo on the side sitting in front of a local transmission shop that I drive by every day, so I called the transmission shop and asked for the specifics to why it was there they told me it was there for a new transmission, the cost was $3,000 and it had 108,700 miles on it. The van was there for about 4 days. I think that's good news for us PM owners considering it was a commercial vehicle driven by somebody who doesn't own it in stop and go traffic. That is a reasonable amount of miles to get out of the original transmission. I Know there's a lot of auto trains from many different manufacturers that go out between 100k and 150k.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Chance

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Seems to me that 108,700 miles is setting the bar a little low. I've had numerous vehicles go over 150,000 miles and none have needed transmission work. Also to consider is that dry cleaning services probably don't load vehicles that much on average. Clothes can be heavy, but not that heavy.

I think the jury is still out about these transmissions when used in ProMasters. Until many many vans go well over 100,000 miles of normal driving, it won't be possible to analyze failure rates accurately. Results need to be statistically significant IMHO.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Garage
Chance seems to have captured the essence of knowing, wait until there is data. 110k is low. My F150 w/5.4 gas auto had 220K and the transmission was fine when I sold it. My current 4Runner has 230K and is fine too. The bigger factor may be, can a beefed up automatic from a Chrysler minivan stand up to the abuse a 3 ton+ truck dishes out? I'd guess it can for much more than 110K but probably not 220k+ Time and miles will tell.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #7 of 8 Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 AM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
The best part was the $3,000.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Kip-on-truckin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage
I don't mean to opine, but if you go to a transmission shop you generally get sold a transmission. You can have as many as you like from LQK for around $600, with way under 50k on it. Any shop that works on...cars...can put one in, it's no different than any other FWD vehicle. The 62TE in the gas van has been in production since around 2003? The first years were a nightmare, but I was eyeballing my buddy's 2010 minivan and it sure looks like the exact same transmission to me.

How long will it last? That's a tough one. My PMs have 261k and 230k. We drive almost all highway but often heavily loaded. I service (fluid and filter) both every 100k. Do NOT "flush" a transmission ever ever ever. Zero trans trouble on either van. Zero.

Regardless, it's all moot. You aren't going to preventatively replace a transmission. You are going to drive it until it gives trouble and then you'll replace it. So I guess I'm saying, don't worry about it.

A growing fleet, you may call me Admiral: 2014 3500 159"extended gas, and a 2014 2500 136" gas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kip-on-truckin For This Useful Post:
KNDLKSTMS (02-22-2017), RDinNHandAZ (02-22-2017)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page