Ram Promaster Forum banner

Let's Talk Trash

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Quest4Adv 
#1 ·
We don't generate a lot, and normally don't have a dedicated trash can--just a grocery bag hung on the arm rest, but it becomes a smelly burden when we spend continuous weeks at a time in "pack it in, pack it out" areas.

Next trip, I will have a supply of Opsaks--heavy, odorproof zip bags. These are so effective at containing odor that even a bear can't smell through it. Expensive, but reusable. Available from Amazon, but buy only the ones sold by Loksak, the manufacturer--there are counterfeits. The similar Aloksak is waterproof but not odorproof.

#2 ·
Depending on the amount of trash, how about the free grocery bag kept in a rubbermaid snap top container made for cereal... one of the big sizes?

I use a slightly smaller one that I attached to the inside of my kitchen cabinet door. The grocery bags fit in it like a liner and it works well. We don't do much smelly type garbage, so it's not an issue. A container with a snap top might be better for week long garbage needs.

ed

#3 ·
We probably won’t be out in the SW desert far from garbage services with this van as where we go that long requires 4WD so we use shopping bags in a small plastic bin made for the purpose. Even in the desert we can use fire and dig. The latrine passes for a place to put vegetable scraps and meat waste, and I’ll tell you - “You don’d want to keep the shrimp shells in the van for long DAMHIK.” We have a freezer for the meat scraps and bones too so we freeze them if necessary. Fire is your friend too. Cans get burned out, crushed and then never smell, paper wrapping of course, fat from the edges of the steak burn well too. Just remember to bury the fire area by digging a small pit before and using the dirt to cover after and pull out anything not completely burned like the cans. Wash the plastic, aluminum foil and etc. We are amazed at how little is left and it doesn’t stink. I have used the same system since I first long-hiked in NM in 1964. I expect I will be considered a polluter for the fire, the latrine, the meat, orange peels etc. We have friends now taking zip lock bags for evenings in the desert to pee in! I expect they would put little huggies on the Desert Bighorn sheep if they could only catch them. What is the World coming to? And the Plastic..... don’t get me started on the plastic!

#5 ·
I travel and stealth camp mostly in populated areas -- cities, towns, and built-up suburbs. As I am on the road for weeks at a time my problem in the northeast and mid-atlantic is where to dispose of trash. Places like Walmart and shopping centers are removing trash cans from parking lots to prevent folks taking their trash there from home. McDonalds and such are removing trash cans from the edges of their parking lots. Dumpsters behind stores often have locks these days. Street side and parks often have cans with openings so small as to accept only small bits of trash. Even gas stations seem to accept only tiny amounts.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone have novel ideas?

#7 ·
Revisiting this topic since the wifey brought it up the other day :)

I'm ordering this from Amazon. Going to install it, with the door mount underneath the bed. We'll use one bin for trash, and the other for recycling stuff.

Has anyone else used something like this before? Any thoughts good or bad about this ???

Thanks

#16 ·
We have found that getting to a recycle bins setup has been easier each year. Remote camping for 4 or 5 days seems to be the limit fo us. When needed I tie up the trash and recycle bags and put them back under the bed through the back doors. We use the small trash bin that the bags you get from the store fit and they get another use. We like the bin handy and in sight not behind a door.

#17 ·
Gamma Lids

Quest4Adv - have you looked at gamma lids? You can use them on 2.5 & 5 gallon buckets. They even make stackable pet food containers with them. Round containers. Rectangular containers. Easy to unscrew the top. Easy to line the bucket with the plastic bag of your choice or not. Easy to find a bucket. Fairly waterproof as we use them on raft trips to contain poop if that particular river allows their use. Not odor proof. Sorry, but I don't know what problem your SO has with garbage but those containers you linked to are huge.

I, like the others that have posted, generate minimal garbage. It's like a rafting trip for us at the supermarket. After purchasing our needs, most of the packaging is removed and discarded/recycled at the store.

#18 ·
Quest4Adv - have you looked at gamma lids? You can use them on 2.5 & 5 gallon buckets. They even make stackable pet food containers with them. Round containers. Rectangular containers. Easy to unscrew the top. Easy to line the bucket with the plastic bag of your choice or not. Easy to find a bucket. Fairly waterproof as we use them on raft trips to contain poop if that particular river allows their use. Not odor proof. Sorry, but I don't know what problem your SO has with garbage but those containers you linked to are huge.

I, like the others that have posted, generate minimal garbage. It's like a rafting trip for us at the supermarket. After purchasing our needs, most of the packaging is removed and discarded/recycled at the store.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.