User Tag List

post #1 of 24 Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Puddletown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Weekender Poptop build

So...it's finally time to get started on our camper van. But before all of that, here's a little bit about our plans. For years we enjoyed our 2002 Eurovan MV/Weekender. Ownership had it's ups and downs with some of the typical mechanical issues found on these vans. But having had a poptop, we are sold on that feature. The convenience the poptop offers and how it fit our approach to travel became a must-have for our family.

So about 2 years ago I set out to figure out how to build a replacement for our Eurovan. As a growing family, the platform was becoming too small and the expense of ownership was only going to grow over time.

After comparing all of the van platforms that had the room we would need (Sprinter, Transit and Promaster), we decided on the Promaster. The Sprinter was expensive, had it's own set of mech issues, and I'm done dealing with the idiosyncrasies of a German car. The Transit was a viable option, but I'm not fond of the low roof model which was the only one that at the time could be used for a poptop. The Promaster low roof met our needs best: drive-able size, stand up room for the wife, and front wheel drive as this van will see lots of snow. While the PM is not perfect, it's good. I wish it had a passenger option as I would rather start from that base for my build. As I subscribe to the "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" philosophy, the choice for the PM 136 gas engine was logical.

I owe a big thanks to Korey slamit06 as his builds were the inspiration for my project. Seeing what he did gave me confidence that a Eurovan replacement was not only possible, but could be done to a high degree of quality while constrained by a realistic budget.

I purchased the van from Russ Ficek at NW Jeep in Portland Oregon www.nwjcd.com. Russ has been mentioned for his great service on the board a couple of times and I can confirm that. I tried several other dealers and found that if you don't want what's already on their lot, they wont give you the time of day. Russ was more than willing to deal with my build option for option and place an order. I ordered the van on 10/21/16 and took delivery on 2/24/17. Given the cost of the build, I decided to go new for the PM and have the benefit of warranty and a new van.

***The van was delivered as ordered but I am having a gremlin on the sliding door which does not want to lock either from the fob or the interior door lock switch. It goes back to the dealer for a service check this tomorrow so hopefully it's an easy fix. I am also going to have the horn beep on fob lock disabled as it's annoying.

For the popup and much of the conversion I talked to Sportsmobile and CCV. Matt Dunkerly at CCV was helpful, but busy, and I preferred the additional height of the poptop, the simplicity of their builds, and passenger seating options that CCV offers so I went that route. I plan to have the vehicle to CCV in mid April for the conversion work.

Over the next few weeks I'll be working on soundproofing and other small prep work prior to the trip to CCV.

Stay tuned and I'll update this post along the way. Any questions fire away!

I have included a few pics. Some of options that I did not find pictures of before I bought. This includes the factory floor option, the upfit connections, the leather steering wheel and the overhead storage bin.

side_van.jpg

floor.jpg

inside.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (135.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg overhead_storage.jpg (327.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg steeringwheel.jpg (353.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg upfit_connections.jpg (80.6 KB, 101 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. I see your van will not fit in the garage you have now so I fail to understand why not go for the high top? I had a 1979 Westfalia pop up and my high top seems like a perfect replacement and no need to put the tope up! You are gonna love this van!

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #3 of 24 Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Think of the PM as a VW that runs. A number of us here are VW survivors.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsNomer For This Useful Post:
SteveSS (02-26-2017)

post #4 of 24 Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Puddletown

(Thread Starter)
Good questions. In my conversations with Sportsmobile and CCV they were only willing to put a poptop on the low roof model. Our sleeping plan is 2 up in the poptop, 2 down on the platform bed with da pooch.

At the end of the day it will very similar to Slamit06's build

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=50025

Last edited by Puddletown; 02-26-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: adds
The Following User Says Thank You to Puddletown For This Useful Post:
RDinNHandAZ (02-26-2017)
post #5 of 24 Old 03-03-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Puddletown

(Thread Starter)
A follow up to my first post. Russ was able to get us ahead in line for service on the faulty slider door lock. Root cause was a damages lock from the assembly plant. They repaired the lock and it works as expected.

I have the factory alarm in the PM and had requested that the horn beep be disables on fob lock. According to the dealer that's not possible with the factory installed alarm. If anyone else had a different experience I'd like to hear that.

Had a good call with Matt from CCV today to tweak our build plans a bit. Still on schedule for a mid April drop off at CCV and really looking forward to getting the work done.

Rolls of fatmat and other sound and insulation products being delivered from amazon daily. Getting some prep work done in advance of the CCV trip will be fun.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
PT,

Welcome!

Your upfit connection has a lot more stuff there than in mine. I have no relays and only one fuse.

Do you have heated seats, rear window defrosters?

I like the color!

ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
post #7 of 24 Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Puddletown

(Thread Starter)
I'm planning using carpet tiles on the floor like this. Anyone give that a try before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7481 (1).JPG (90.3 KB, 59 views)
post #8 of 24 Old 03-03-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Puddletown

(Thread Starter)
Ed,

You are right on both accounts, heated seats and rear defrost!
post #9 of 24 Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Puddletown

(Thread Starter)
More progress today. Amazon is delivering a steady stream of boxes to the house

Today I started the soundproofing and got about 75% done. My philisophy is to apply it liberally as that won't be very easy after the walls go in. I have 2 layers on the wheel wells and slider.

After the Fat Mat I plan to reach out to Hein and get some of the thinsulate insulation he has.

New front and rear speakers are on the way so I should be able to provide an update on that in the near future.

I also have a thread going related to exterior lights for the back of the van. This would assist both in backing up as well as illuminating the area behind the van when camping.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...d.php?p=406209
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7491.JPG (103.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7492.JPG (120.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7493.JPG (91.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7494.JPG (97.6 KB, 65 views)
post #10 of 24 Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Puddletown

(Thread Starter)
Made more progress this weekend.

Installed rear speakers (rockford fosgate prime) upgraded front speakers (jbl 6520) it sounds great. Patching into the upfit connection was pretty slick. Rear speaker install is temporary until I get it to CCV and the wall kit goes in.

Also used the upfit connection to install exterior lighting, details here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=60810
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7532.JPG (73.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7534.JPG (97.0 KB, 53 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page