User Tag List

post #1 of 27 Old 05-13-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
papab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
roof fan

Does everybody put a roof fan in a campervan? It seems like it, yet I'm questioning if I need one. Am I nuts to not put one in right away? We avoid hot weather, especially hot nights.
  • A hole in a roof can be a problem.
  • Adding a vent, sticking up on the roof increases the drag

Last edited by papab; 05-13-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Rambler

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A fan was the #1 thing on my upfit list. Not only for camping, but to keep the interior from becoming an oven when the van is parked in the hot sun in a place where you don't want to leave windows open. Interior temps can reach well over 100 degrees without it, even when outdoor temp is only in the 80s. I keep the "outdoor sensor" part of a portable weather station in the van, to be able to monitor how hot it gets inside. With roof vents open (but fan off and windows closed) the sensor read 105 with the van sitting in full sun on an 85 degree day. And this was after the van interior was insulated. Running the fan cools it down to same as outside temp.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM
jostalli

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Garage
Everybody should add a roof vent. You can get a fantastic vent for $100 that really moves a lot of air. I got the flat lid to decrease the drag but the drag really is negligible. Sticks up off the roof about 3.5".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 27 Old 05-13-2015, 02:56 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
...Sticks up off the roof about 3.5"

That's my problem, our carport where I park the van provides about 3" clearance!

I like the fact that they put a sunroof flat surface in the roof, but it would have been better placed in the back of the van. Then I could put in a sunroof with a fan below the roof and get air flow from front window to the back.

I'm thinking about an opening vent in the (almost) flat area above the back door windows. There's about a 10-12" area that 24" wide on each door. Wish Fantastic Fans made a side vent fan for applications where a roof fan won't fit.

Or, CRL could come up with a replacement back door window that (slide or hinges) opens! Seems to me lots of sales there! I'd rip out my OEM window and replace it. I have thought about removing the factory back door window (drivers side) and making an aluminum replacement that would be modifiable to provide an opening without cutting more holes in the van. That would make it easy to reverse and put the OEM window back if needed.

Other ideas are welcome !

Ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
post #5 of 27 Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 PM
GapRunr

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post

I like the fact that they put a sunroof flat surface in the roof,
If I ever get a Promaster (still at the dreaming stage) then I have toyed with the idea of putting in one of these in that flat spot, with the switch mounted on the dash somewhere.

post #6 of 27 Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 AM
uncubed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
This is in the gallery (kr1200dr) Click on gallery on top of page.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...&pictureid=130

2014 159" Gas.
Camper/work/daily driver.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-14-2015, 03:18 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
unc,

That's nice. I remember seeing the pictures a while back. I'm interested in the fan panel he added too.

Does anyone know the specific sunroof kr1200dr installed. Looks factory fit!

(I still wish the indented area was in the back of the roof instead of up front. Seems like while driving, the air will go in the front windows and out the sunroof, leaving lots of hot air from the sunroof back, no?)

Ed

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum
post #8 of 27 Old 05-14-2015, 04:18 PM
KilWerBzz

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
This is what he used CR Laurence AP1530B5H You might try a couple of 120mm Case Cooling Fans mounted back by the rear side vents for air flow. This is what he posted.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...php?albumid=34
post #9 of 27 Old 06-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Ck32250

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I'm also undecided on the fan and would love some feedback. From what I have read, most folks are gong with the Fantastic Fan, others with Max Air Fan, and I think one person with marine style solar vent fans.

Im in Florida and the 100 degree heat really cooks the parked van. I'm curious if you guys set the fan temp option and let it run during the day off the battery- is depleting the battery a concern? I don't have solar or even an aux battery/isolator setup yet. Is it necessary to allow air in for the exhaust fan to work through a window or other means?

My concerns are: loosing headroom- me at 6'4" my hair touches the unfinished roof. Wind drag/noise. Battery drain.

The van is mixed use work/tool hauler and family weekender for road trips and maybe some light camping.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Rambler

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have MaxxAir Deluxe, which can be left open in the rain. I let the fan run during the day, but from aux battery. Sometimes I drive with it open--notice the extra noise then. Don't notice any noise when it's closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rambler For This Useful Post:
Ck32250 (06-22-2015)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page