Ram Promaster Forum banner

Roof Vents -- How about off-center mounting?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dobermin 
#1 ·
My 2017 ProMaster 3500 EXT will be delivered in another month or so and we are planning the camper/survival/off-grid upgrades now.

Regarding rooftop planning: We will be doing solar to some degree and I'm looking at more than likely two MaxxAir fans. Not sure about a roof top AC unit, may try mounting a standard window AC in a tall cabinet (installed at the top of cabinet vs the bottom as has been done here) or perhaps the rear-window stainless steel sink method :)

I also will be installing a roof rack; probably with diamond plate decking so it is a platform for photography, event viewing, etc. I also want to be able to secure a couple kayaks up there and am wondering if I should alter my original floor-plans/design ideas to a non-traditional approach of mounting the MaxxAir fans off-center --- putting them closer to one side as to free up rooftop space.

Just wondering your opinions...

This is an awesome forum -- some great people with heavy brains. Thank you for all of the information.

#2 ·
Hey think about this,
Buy ONE simple Fantastic Vent for about $100 on eBay, buy a low profile AC unit like this http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/coleman-mach-8-9k-wt.htm
forget the second fan and use the ventilation option on the AC unit and for $750 total for both you will have a real cooling system.
Remember 2 Maxxair deluxe vents cost $600 https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-0...qid=1487721574&sr=8-1&keywords=maxxair+deluxe
These AC units actually work, look good and are very low profile. Work the rack in back of the AC as they are best centered. You have a lot of real-estate on that roof! 6 feet of rack, three feet of AC and a vent way up front?
I’ve seen those wall units on the side and I would rather fall out of a tree face first, but you know, if it looks good to you that is all that matters.
Just think'n

#3 ·
Hi RD - Sounds like you have some personal experience with the AC unit?

I like your idea and I could run the fan of that AC unit without the 2000W generator, but the 2000W Yamaha inverter generator would run the actual "AC" mode just fine when needed.

What do you think about my original question on moving both the fan and roof mounted AC unit off to either the driver or passenger side versus the roof centerline? -- With the AC unit mounted more central front to back and the MaxxAir being mounted closer toward the rear (over the bed) I really would like to free up that rack space without having fan and AC unit on centerline.

Also, if I ended up plopping in a "house" window AC unit it would not be visible from the outside -- just the body mounted flush vent; unless we do that rear-window deal we saw on this forum.

Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.