Ram Promaster Forum banner

van interior lighting

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RDinNHandAZ 
#1 ·
guys - on my 2016 promaster - the lights doesnt seem to behave like most cars. when you open the door and the switch is in door on postion -- it would come on for awhile then go out and stays out like its on a timer. when i really need the lights - i cant seem to get it back on by flipping the rear lighting by cargo door. any suggestions?

#2 ·
So here's the deal....

When you open the door, a signal from the door goes to the CanBus system which starts a timer. The timer then turns on the light, but only for a little while. After that, I have had the same issues as you.

Gone are the days when a pin switch on the door connects to the light and the light stays on while the door is open.

Most of us who have converted our vans to campervans have added additional lighting controlled by a real on/off switch. Contractors like yourself have done the same. Ram even offers an LED lighting system for the cargo area... controlled by a (you guessed it) real switch. Probably the best solution!

Welcome!
ed

#3 ·
yeah I kept beating my head against the side of the van trying to figure out how to use the existing light wiring but I gave up because of the timer issues. My interior lights are turned on by switches and my lights at the back doors I have on a pressure switch which turns on and off when the doors are open and closed.

#6 ·
i never thought of that. ill have to try that when i need it.

i been thinking of adding interior led lighting with 3 way switches so i can turn on the lights from rear door and from cab. heck -- been planning so many things i want to change . dont get me wrong. i love the van -- but there are alot of improvements that needs to be made. for example - my wife is pretty short and she cant get in the van and i need to install handles for it. i found part number for it and its 135 bucks!! i need a van rack for ladders. the cheapest i can find is 600 bucks i think. i need interior lighting and i would love to add rear exterior lighting same time. i found a panel i would like to use and i was thinking of tapping into my positive power trailer wiring. i also want to swap my single seat for a double, but i read that many people have issues with canbus airbag issue and none reported they were sucessful to get rid of msgs.

So far i added osb for flooring - built wooden shelves and added tool chest. ill have to take a pic later - i just finished my shelving yesterday and i was so excited i literally put tools in there already before i snap a pic of shelves before i added tools. oh well. i also welded up metal steps to get in and out of van easier in back.

anyways - back to the lighting issue- i want to use dpst switches and put power to middle terminal on the switch and light on the middle of other switch. add travelers wire to outside terminals. is this right for a 3 way?

#7 ·
You can switch to a double passenger seat with no problem. The person using your single will need to buy the seat sensor, and retractor and plug them in. Just a cost for them.
I wouldn’t try connecting to the interior lights as the CANBUS will sense the new current and probably shut down the circuit. Either run a wire and fuse from the battery directly or add circuits to the upfit connector if you have it. Read your Monroney.
Add a step or running board for your wife?

Lots of info here use the search box. All this has been covered many times.

#9 ·
#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.