Ram Promaster Forum banner

My running board discovery.

55K views 146 replies 37 participants last post by  dmbeal3 
#1 · (Edited)
I was trying to figure out if the boards from PromasterWorld are worth the high cost. They wanted a little over $700 for full length boards shipped.

Then I did some research.

It seems that the actual boards are made by Westin.
The brackets are the tricky part. I'm not sure who makes them. I don't think they are made by Westin. Maybe Luvern? I'm not sure.

Here's what I did. I bought the same Westin boards from Amazon for around $200 shipped.
They are both full length 93" black boards. The brackets I got were also from Amazon and made by Owens. They are no drill (they use existing holes in the chassis. No clamps). They cost me about $120.
I'm pretty sure they will work together. I will know when I get them on Wednesday.
Total for full length boards on both sides is $320 plus some tax.
I'll keep you guys updated.

#6 ·
I'm very happy to say that my running board discovery has worked out perfectly. I only installed one side so far cuz it started raining, but I will post pics soon. The boards are strong,and no drilling was required. Total cost was about $330.
In my opinion this is the best option out there.

#11 ·
I am in hopes we can just cut the board shorter and replace the end block for the drivers side plus I only need the passenger side to extend for 2 feet under the sliding door as my galley will block part of the door opening. The less hang'n down the less I am apt to rip off careening around.

#12 ·
I will post the links later.
Just as an FYI, I believe you can basically put any board you like on to the Owens brackets. There are many different boards out there, as long as they have a groove underneath to slide in square head bolts, (I'm pretty sure that's the way all running boards are made) they will work with the Owens brackets.
The 16 supplied square head bolts that came with the Owens brackets are to small for the Westin boards, so I replaced them with 5/16" hex nuts and they worked perfectly.
Also the boards are basically aluminum extrusions with rubber on top and plastic end caps. The can easily be cut with a miter saw.
For those folks who want a plastic board similar to the Ionic board that's sold by auto customs, albeit with a far superior mounting system, Westin makes an all plastic board that lm pretty sure will work with the Owens brackets.
I also see some pretty cool boards made by many different companies.

#13 ·
The Westin boards are part number 27-6145. I got mine from Amazon warehouse deals for $210 with free prime shipping.
The Owens brackets (full length boards) are part number 101220. They are $120
The Westin plastic molded board (identical to Ionic) is 27-0020. There is currently one set on Amazon warehouse deals that's going for $178.52. Otherwise they are $210 with free prime shipping.

#20 ·
Easy peasy.
I just took measurements. You definitely CAN put a short board (or cut one down) as long as it is 36" or longer. 36" is the exact size you would want anyway. Yes the supplied brackets will work.
These boards are really nice, easy to install, and strong. I stood on it with my 280 lbs. buddy, and it only flexed a drop. That's 450 lbs!

#24 ·
Yes they are aluminum. There are very detailed installation instructions with pictures on Owens site. Just look for Promaster boards.

Amazon warehouse deals, are Amazons returns. When looking for a an item on Amazon, you will see a "buy it used" option. Some buy it used options are not from Amazon, and some are warehouse deals. I "trust" AWD more then I trust non Amazon sellers. My boards had a small scuff on the underside of one of the boards. Totally not visible unless you were under the van.
Obviously, caveat emptor.

#26 ·
Ok, im ready to order...Hey an Amazon question.
Im ordering the running boards brackets...(says free shipping)
Also ordering the running boards (also says free ahipping over 35$)
NOW, when I add these seat belt extenders....it only says free shipping over 35$.But the extenders are 25. And theyre going on the same order.
Does that th mean that ill get charged shipping only for those extenders?
Or should I get free shipping on all my items in the same order?

#27 ·
free on complete order BUT when you check out it will suggest a shipping choice that is not free..... Just check 5-8 day free shipping. It never seems to be longer. FREE FREE FREE

#29 ·
Or you can sign up for prime and get 3 months free 2 day and $3.99 for 1 day shipping.
I LOVE Amazon Prime.
I once shipped a 130 lb Ac from California to New York next day for $3.99.
I didn't even need it next day, but wanted to see if it would happen.
It did. :)

#30 ·
Hi Arch...
I should be getting my Owens brackets10-1220 tomorrow.
I'm having trouble visualizing where the pt # BT-71 attaches to the van and to pt # CB-76.
The pics provided on the Owens site aren't clear enough to actually show BT-71 and its placement.
Can you please take some clear pics and to better show how that smaller piece fits on to CB-76??
And also the smaller M8 in-pull nut. It says that there is 2 provided.. Does that mean only 1 per side?? or 2 per side in 2 different hardware bags?
And which bracket does it (they) go on
And how does that M8 in-pull nut install?? looks like it rests on a 45 degree angle.?
I'm getting lost with the NON-close up clear pictures from the pdf from Owens.
Any extra clarification would be very helpful,'Thanks, Arch for any help that you can give..
You've got me this far.. Almost done!
Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.