Ram Promaster Forum banner

Swivel Seat Adaptor

85K views 169 replies 53 participants last post by  Cut Right Sharpening 
#1 ·
Hi!

It's my first post here, hope I am in the right forum.

Got my PM last week. Well, some Promaster I should say, not the one I really wanted. Two options I really wanted (driver suspension seat and passenger swivel seat) were not available, at least according to my salesman in Canada.

But I found on Internet this product from a third party:

http://www.swivelsrus.com/promaster.htm

Any feedback on that adapter?

Thanks!

#155 ·
Well, I completed the first significant project on my van build. I installed the Swivelrus seats both driver and passenger. The instructions were pretty sparse, but it wasn't very difficult. If disconnecting the battery is a requirement for safety, that information was omitted from my instructions. I did disconnect my battery, though, and had no troubles.

One thing of note is that if you have the heated seats, at least on mine, the wire from the seat to the heated seat plug was rather short. Therefore, with the swivels installed, there is very little slack, especially with the repair kit installed under the seat.

My seats will swivel in both directions from a swivel standpoint, but not really from a functional one. I find that it is easiest to rotate both seats so that the front of the seats go through the center of the van. That is, rotate the passenger counter-clockwise and the driver clockwise. When I rotate the driver's seat clockwise, I can leave the emergency brake on as my van layout doesn't let the seat swivel a full 180 degrees. If it did, I would probably have to lower the brake.

Because of the short heater switch wire on the passenger seat, if I rotate them as described, everything works fine. If I rotate it clockwise, it puts too much strain on the wire and pulls it out of the switch.

My swivels measure at 1.75 inches and raises the seats by that much. I plan to install a set of floor mats to make things a little more comfortable for mine and my wife's short legs.

So far, I am happy with them. They swivel well and lock solid. All of the parts were included and everything lined up beautifully. When I reconnected the battery, my Uconnect 5.0 came right back on.

#156 ·
Thanks to all of you!! Looks like, at least for the passenger side, the SwivelsRus is the way to go IF the seat will lock when it is swiveled to face the back since that is how I will want it to be all the time so I have a place for clients to sit while I am working on their stuff.

Looking at the seat, it also appears to me that having the seat facing the back will make going back and forth from the drivers seat to the back a lot easier. Less needed to get out and walk around in the rain to get in the passenger side slider.

#161 · (Edited)
Does anyone that installed the SwivelsrUS (CTA) swivels have the instructions they can post? I guess I threw mine away in the box of those dang shipping peanuts.

Thanks

NM, ended up not needing them. It was pretty easy, but I do have a question about the wiring. I have that extra connector that some have mentioned. Did anyone find out what it's for???

#163 ·
Thanks to all that contributed to this discussion. I installed the Eurocamper swivels today, and with all your collective input it went well. It really helped me to remove the covers from the passenger side to get the small connector undone. I'm just guessing that connector, that the driver's side does not have, is for the dash airbag sensor in the seat, so it doesn't activate when a child is in the seat. Just a guess though......I had a couple tight fits on the seat to swivel bolts, but it was not serious. I moved the seat wiring to the center rear and tie wrapped them there. Then, I taped the wires together every six inches or so and covered them with some black plastic wiring protector and tie wraps. Once again many thanks for all the info. This is a great site for helping!!! dc.

#164 ·
"......I had a couple tight fits on the seat to swivel bolts, but it was not serious."

I tried to install my Eurocampers swivel on Monday and only 2 of the seat to swivel bolts would thread even with the seat off. Called Eurocampers and they have a replacement being shipped. I asked them to make sure the bolts would thread correctly before they sent me the new one, we shall see. You would think that they would check that at the factory before they ship them out. Some of the welded nuts were up to 1/8th in. out of alignment with the base plate holes. :(

#168 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I have used it as I recently added a passenger side swivel. Based on what I learned here and on other posts in build threads, so here goes.

Yesterday I installed a Swivels R Us unit. No instructions in the box, but it is very straightforward. I got the wires disconnected with no drama, pulled the seat and had the swivel and seat on in under an hour.

There are a couple of quibbles. The seat belt assembly has a nice sturdy welded bracket that adds an extra level of fail safe in event of a crash. With this swivel there is nowhere for it to hook up, so that bothers me. The inside edge of the swivel hole is very sharp, as has been mentioned. Needed to dress that up a bit to preserve wiring. The swivel is very stiff, but the seat now has a very small rocking motion as a result of play. I hope it will become easier to swivel without gaining any more play.

The height is not bothersome to either of us. When turned to face the back a battery box will make a good footrest, so as I hoped, I can incorporate that into my plan.

#170 ·
This appears to be an old thread, and I didn't find anything newer that was specific to the swivel seats.

What is the present state of the swivel seats.

2014 - 2021 Ram ProMaster Driver Side Seat Swivel

Has the quality of this one improved?
Has the drivers side issue of not turning clockwise more than 45 deg been solved.

Are these actually a problem that requires anything more than not sitting in them when attempting to swivel them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.