Promaster or Sprinter van - Page 6 - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #51 of 60 Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM
uncubed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
I wondered about a long class b that is 24 feet and the money it takes to inquire one.
Why not just get a 24foot class c then? Lot more room and cheaper too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 AM
proman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Promaster with the V6 gas engine and 62TE transmission would seem to be the right way to go for maximum uptime for a commercial business.

The diesel will have all sorts of problems eventually with the pollution abatement gear if the same as other manufacuturers.
The tech's seem to have a problem figuring that stuff out in a resonable time frame, plus the cost of plugged filter replacements, it just adds more equipment to fail on your van....

If a Dodge dealer cannot fix the gasoline V6 powertrain, (and there are many more Dodge dealers) they may as well pack there tools up and go home...
That engine and transmission are the same in 100's of thousands of their vehicles..

I don't think it is jammed in the front end of a Promaster much worse than a Dodge van...
Here we have no Sprinter dealers and one would have to go Promaster anyway.
If one went to the Freightliner garages here you would end up on the tailend of about 5 or 6 trucks being repaired.
post #53 of 60 Old 11-22-2014, 08:28 PM
uncubed

(Sprinters still have a lot of momentum, and the fact that RV upfitters have 24 feet to build with, as well as the brand recognition, keeps that market going.[/QUOTE]end of quote.

Both of these are 24 feet. One is a Promaster class c and the other is a Sprinter ext.
The Class C promaster will have a tighter turning radius the the class b Sprinter.
So why not a class C? much more room if your at 24 feet.

post #54 of 60 Old 11-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Chance

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncubed View Post
.....cut......

Both of these are 24 feet. One is a Promaster class c and the other is a Sprinter ext.
The Class C promaster will have a tighter turning radius the the class b Sprinter.
So why not a class C? much more room if your at 24 feet.
My 2 cents....

In my opinion there may be many reasons a buyer may go with a 24 foot Sprinter rather than a 24 foot Class C.

The Sprinter should have better fuel economy, should be safer in a roll-over, should be quieter in back, should have less chance of water leaks, etc....

Most importantly it may be possible to park a Sprinter van at home where a Class C of equal lenght may be prohibited by some HOAs. That would be my case. I think I can get away with any factory van but not a Class C regardless of size.

Having said that, a 24-foot Class C like Winnebago Trend or newer Dynamax REV is far roomier than a 24-foot Sprinter. Interior space are so different that they are not comparable in my opinion.

Also forgot to mention a van has large rear doors that Class Cs typically don't. That permits some additional design options like mini toy hauler. Bottom line is there are pros and cons to each.
post #55 of 60 Old 11-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Chance

By the way, since this thread was started, the Ford Transit was introduced. Based on initial Transit volume, it seems a greater competitor to ProMasters than the Sprinter. Perhaps a new thread is in order.
post #56 of 60 Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 PM
uncubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
My 2 cents....

In my opinion there may be many reasons a buyer may go with a 24 foot Sprinter rather than a 24 foot Class C.

The Sprinter should have better fuel economy, should be safer in a roll-over, should be quieter in back, should have less chance of water leaks, etc....

Most importantly it may be possible to park a Sprinter van at home where a Class C of equal lenght may be prohibited by some HOAs. That would be my case. I think I can get away with any factory van but not a Class C regardless of size.

Having said that, a 24-foot Class C like Winnebago Trend or newer Dynamax REV is far roomier than a 24-foot Sprinter. Interior space are so different that they are not comparable in my opinion.

Also forgot to mention a van has large rear doors that Class Cs typically don't. That permits some additional design options like mini toy hauler. Bottom line is there are pros and cons to each.
Good points Chance I never really thought of all of that.

On the HOAs the money you save compared to a Sprinter can be used for storage?
post #57 of 60 Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 PM
bobojay

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I suspect as we see the November & December sales numbers that the Transit will be up to number 2 sales wise in vans, number 1 in European designs

Current 2013 Sprinter Class B RV Van owner
Our Second Sprinter RV (and last)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
post #58 of 60 Old 11-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncubed View Post
Good points Chance I never really thought of all of that.

On the HOAs the money you save compared to a Sprinter can be used for storage?
Uncubed, one more major difference -- vans can generally tow more than a Class C ProMaster. From what I've researched, a PM cutaway has to have the rear of the chassis rails extended to get that 24 foot length. Between that and the added weight of a larger house, the Class Cs I've seen based on PM chassis were limited to 2000 pound trailer and 200 pound tongue weight. With a 24-ft Sprinter I believe the tow capacity is 5000 pounds and 500 pound tongue weight.

We've researched this to death because we don't want too many compromises. Smaller van that can be parked at home would be ideal for us, but would also need to have enough tow rating left after conversion to pull a small camping trailer.
post #59 of 60 Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 AM
uncubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
By the way, since this thread was started, the Ford Transit was introduced. Based on initial Transit volume, it seems a greater competitor to ProMasters than the Sprinter. Perhaps a new thread is in order.
A caster thread for the extended van. What is the best bearings,best location to
mount,best place to buy,and so on.
I like my PM , so if I say anything, I would try to be open about it.
The Transit Height and the wheel base is off the wall.
post #60 of 60 Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Vale72

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
If in the future the partnership between Fiat and Alko will be open also to the US market, many different platforms will be available for RV upfitters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page