User Tag List

post #1 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
El Guapo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
El Guapo's Build Thread

After reading about camper vans, collectiong ideas and pictures, and debating on doing it for over a year it's time to start my build. I'm wishing I had started it earlier because I'd already be enjoying it by now.

Starting the floor. 3/4" plywood bolted down over Polyiso sheet. The front living area will get something on top of this. The rear cargo area will get Herculiner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
El Guapo

(Thread Starter)
Polyiso on the walls and ceiling (1' to 2.5") with batting stuffed in the nooks and crannies. Then install riv-nuts to mount ceilings and wall panels.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 01:14 PM
PopeAng

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post

...cut
Starting the floor. 3/4" plywood bolted down over Polyiso sheet. The front living area will get something on top of this. The rear cargo area will get Herculiner.

Are you going to spread/paint the Herculiner on top of the plywood? Any priming? I've never worked with the stuff, but it seams like a good idea to protect the cargo area.

PS. For some reason I can't see pictures from certain file sharing sites. Just in case the answer to my question is easily seen in the picture.

Last edited by PopeAng; 03-24-2017 at 01:23 PM.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
El Guapo

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeAng View Post
Are you going to spread/paint the Hurculiner on top of the plywood? I've never worked with the stuff, but it seams like a good idea to protect the cargo area. PS. For some reason I can't see pictures from certain file sharing sites. Just in case the answer to my question is easily seen in the picture.
These pics are from TinyPics.com. I was going to have bed liner sprayed in until I found out how expensive it was. So I searched around looking for a DIY coating and it looked like Herculiner had the best reviews so I bought some of it. I usually don't expect stuff like this to perform as advertised but I can say that I am very impressed with the pieces I've coated so far. And yes I applied directly to plywood, two coats. I did a few scrap pieces to test the durability of when it's fully cured ( a few days) but so far it looks like it's going to work great.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Guapo For This Useful Post:
PopeAng (03-24-2017)
post #5 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 01:30 PM
PopeAng

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
These pics are from TinyPics.com. I was going to have bed liner sprayed in until I found out how expensive it was. So I searched around looking for a DIY coating and it looked like Herculiner had the best reviews so I bought some of it. I usually don't expect stuff like this to perform as advertised but I can say that I am very impressed with the pieces I've coated so far. And yes I applied directly to plywood, two coats. I did a few scrap pieces to test the durability of when it's fully cured ( a few days) but so far it looks like it's going to work great.

Awesome. Thanks! I'll add this to my "to do list" once my storage, and electrical is all sorted out and boxed in.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 03:58 PM
Matt Gross

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Good luck with the build. Keep up up to date!

RESEARCH MODE: 136 Camper Van
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Gross For This Useful Post:
El Guapo (05-19-2017)
post #7 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 05:03 PM
SteveSS

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
After reading about camper vans, collectiong ideas and pictures, and debating on doing it for over a year it's time to start my build. I'm wishing I had started it earlier because I'd already be enjoying it by now.
Looking good! You are way ahead of me! I am enjoying the research though.

SteveSS
2017 3500 159 EXT gas, silver metallic. Ordered 01/20/17, built 03/31/17, delivered 05/08/17 Shiny's build thread
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSS For This Useful Post:
El Guapo (05-19-2017)
post #8 of 17 Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Garage
I started with 1/2” ply over 1/2” Polyiso. Barefoot on the cold mornings it was too cold and we had painted the plywood. We also found tiny stones brought in hurt our heel if we stepped on them. At this time we have cheap carpet from H-D on the ply stapled just enough to keep it in place. Its a better surface as the floor does not conduct away heat from our feet nearly as fast. It’s been in 1 1/2 years and still looks ok. It was about $9 so when it doesn’t we will use it for a pattern. Herculiner may be better than paint in this regard.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic Born on 6/12/2015 Campervan build see: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
The Following User Says Thank You to RDinNHandAZ For This Useful Post:
El Guapo (05-19-2017)
post #9 of 17 Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
El Guapo

(Thread Starter)
Those are good points RD. I used 3/4" ply over 1/2" polyiso. I had originally planned to cover the plywood with a nicer wood floor or rubber gym type flooring. I might experiment initially and see how it goes because we are planning on using it as a ski van in the winter.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
El Guapo

(Thread Starter)
Building three frames for mounting ceiling fans and A/C. Glued in place with Sikaflex 252. On the outside used two of the plastic adapters I bought on EBay from Hein. About to glue them into place using 3M Window Weld. Would one of these also work for the (future) A/C or is the version for an A/C different?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page