Ram Promaster Forum banner

Promaster passenger van?

58K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  carnut 
#1 ·
I heard in an interview with Ram Truck Brand Director Robert Hegbloom mention a passenger version would be coming out. Any news when that may happen. I am not looking for a conversion like an airport shuttle. Just a basic van with windows, carpet and removable bench seats. I know there are other manufactures that offer this but I am a Mopar guy and would be willing to wait if they are coming.

#3 ·
I need it for two purposes. I would say 80 percent of the time it would be used to haul things like car parts, furniture, home improvement projects etc. The other part of the time would be to haul people. Could be up to 15 depending on the trip. I don't have to have one but if they offered this I would consider buying one. I have a big family and traveling from Baltimore to Pittsburgh and back having one large vehicle would be very convenient.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I went back and found the radio interview with Robert Hegbloom. It was on the Automotive Reporter. He mentions that there is a passenger version coming "down the road" but gave no time table. Here is the link to the page.

http://theautomotivereporter.com/show.html

It is in the on the July 28th show part 2 if anyone wants to listen to it. I will make a second post for others who may not be following this thread but may be interested in what he has to say about the PM altogether.

#9 ·
I went to price out the 2500 window van. It came in just a little under $35K. Maybe with carpet, bench seating and restraints option in the future you could be talking a couple grand more.

One of the options was the Premium Appearance Group which includes a bright grill and fog lamps. I have not been able to find a picture of a PM with this option. Has anyone else seen it. On the Ducato and the Boxer they have a bright grill surround. I am guessing it is similar except the Ram crosshairs are bright also.

#10 ·
No never seen it yet, been looking. I added that as well.
I think it will look very nice and break up the front a bit.
Going to have a lot of option to mine. Me sell my cube
van and truck ,going to make this van my multipurpose
vehicle.

#11 ·
My interest is for handicap transport. We have a pop-top Econoline with raised doors, but my wife can't see out the windows while seated in a power wheelchair.
The disabled community is in need of a vehicle that doesn't need to be hacked up. That is expensive and doesn't last long in the rust belt. A Sprinter would do fine but that is at least 10 grand more and rear-wheel drive. Not the best in winter with no load in it. I'd really like to know when the PM window version is available. I hope they offer it in the standard height with mid or short wheelbase.

#15 ·
The Allpar article linked below is about Chrysler's Mobility Prep Group. Although they offer this on the minivans they mention the possibility of the PM also. I am guessing Ram will be focusing the initial run of PMs on the commercial market (delivery etc.). As production ramps up they will undoubtedly increase the variations.

Minivan mobility, B&W Dart

#22 ·
Vale72, who makes that rear door arrangement? I'm guessing the rear window is one piece glass across the van.

That would work great for RV vans designed with a rear platform bed. That door seems plenty tall enough to load bikes and or other large items under a rear platform bed.

#18 ·
#28 ·
That's very interesting. Sounds like there really isn't going to be a factory passenger van - just a glazed version to send to upfitters. That explains why the price on the build tool is not significantly higher and there are no options listed for rear HVAC or seat configurations. We could be looking at several thousand more to build the equivalent of a Ford Club Wagon (complete interior).

I can't wait to see Transit pricing and options.

#23 ·
I like the idea but its still has a limited number of seats. the pic through the rear doors is not the same van that also has the seats. The van with the seats has a finished floor, ceiling and sides.

#27 ·
Some different Ducato minibuses:
Thanks.

By the way, for those looking for more passenger carrying capacity, the longer Maxi van shown in the middle video has seats for 16 passengers plus the driver.

The layout appears similar to an extended Ford 15 passenger van but with an extra row -- due to Ducato/ProMaster being longer. Instead of making it an 18 passenger they remove the seat directly in front of the door, and by not including the driver as a passenger it makes it 16.

The video is in Spanish but clearly states the driver is not included in head count.

#30 ·
Stopped at the Ford dealer and priced a mid-roof wagon (windows and seats) XLT. It's about $35,500 MSRP plus all the garbage fees. XLT includes rear heat and AC, cruise, power windows & mirrors, cloth seats (8 passenger), and full interior and carpet. About all you'd need to add are premium amenities like upgraded stereo, power seat options, tow packages, dual battery, etc.
We don't have any details on PM window van yet, but it based on the comments at the allpar site it appears it will be up to upfitters to provide an interior. If that's true, Transit will undercut PM by quite a bit in the passenger van segment. Plus, you get the availability of the eco-boost and a real truck transmission with Transit. Looks like I may have to find a way to get past the very mediocre Fords I bought in the 80s and 90s.

#32 ·
Stopped at the Ford dealer and priced a mid-roof wagon (windows and seats) XLT. It's about $35,500 MSRP plus all the garbage fees. XLT includes rear heat and AC, cruise, power windows & mirrors, cloth seats (8 passenger), and full interior and carpet. About all you'd need to add are premium amenities like upgraded stereo, power seat options, tow packages, dual battery, etc.
We don't have any details on PM window van yet, but it based on the comments at the allpar site it appears it will be up to upfitters to provide an interior. If that's true, Transit will undercut PM by quite a bit in the passenger van segment. Plus, you get the availability of the eco-boost and a real truck transmission with Transit. Looks like I may have to find a way to get past the very mediocre Fords I bought in the 80s and 90s.
I also stopped in at a Ford dealer and priced the Long WB (148") High Roof XLT Wagon. Standard seating was 12 passenger. Base MSRP was $40,750.

For details see:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...14-ford-transit-price-pricing-2.html#post8138

#33 ·
Instead of the minivan/car transmission in Promaster. The transmission used in the Transit was at least designed for service in full-sized pickups which implies a certain torque rating and durability. OK, maybe it's not commercial duty in the sense of an Allison, but I have far more confidence in it's long term durability than the borrowed light duty unit in the PM.

#34 ·
The transmissions from 30/40/50 years ago were develop in cars then used in trucks.
The 904 and the beefier 727 were car transmissions, turns out the lighter 904 is
stronger then the 727.
If you had stakes in Ram ,would you allow a transmission to go out without doing a
lot of testing first? That would be a financial disaster. I am sure they do not take this
risk.

#35 ·
I would at least like to see some max torque ratings on it. It's an adaptation of a design from 1989 when 200HP was really something. I doubt the original engineers were ever told it would eventually be pushing a 9000lb RV down the road. In a highly competitive environment you you don't waste money over building something because you might demand more from it in the future. Does it work now? Sure. Will it last for 200K miles working twice as hard as it would in a car? Who knows. Ram has offered no details. Is it a whole new case with stronger webs and larger bearings? My gut feel is it's nothing more than increased cooling and larger half-shafts (I know someone who actually twisted off a half shaft in a Chrysler Minivan). I have personally owned two vehicles with transmission bearing/gear related failures. You'll have to excuse me if I'm skeptical that this wasn't a cost tradeoff between developing a new transmission and warranty claims.
As for risk, $40K is alot for me to gamble on something with a 5 year warranty. I can't afford to lose $8K a year. The market is littered with half engineered vehicles that are worth virtually nothing after 5 years. I need 10 - 20 years out it. A 10 year powertrain warranty might help convince me I won't be stuck with vehicle with a disposable transmission.

#36 ·
I'd like to see consistent data on PM auto transmission. Allpar and others show gear ratios that include a direct 5th gear on some pages, yet other sources like posted on transmission thread here are quite different. If both are correct it suggest transmission may have been reworked extensively for PM -- but if so why use same model designation. It's hard to know what is correct.

I personally see the transmission as a potential weak link because of the lower 11,500 GCWR compared to the diesel's 12,500 GCWR. Since a very similar V6 engine in the 1500 RAM pickup has a GCWR of up to 12,500 pounds, then why derate in the PM?

Given a choice, I personally would prefer the upcoming Transit's (reportedly) 6R80 transmission. Data indicates torque rating of up to 800 N-M (I think about 590 lb-ft) and ability to handle 3.5L EcoBoost or 6.2L V8. And towing capacity beyond PM's by a wide margin. That's not to say Transit will necessarily be rated as high as F-150 pickup, but the transmission shouldn't be the limitation.

#39 ·
I think if RAM does not do a passenger version in house and leaves it to upfitters, then they will have their ass handed to them in that market segment (airport shuttles, light bus, whatever you call it).

They should at least sell one with a factory second row (like Sprinter does), and have the option for insulation factory installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.