Future proofing with PEX or conduit or whatever for Webasto - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
medicineman4040

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Future proofing with PEX or conduit or whatever for Webasto

I asked MnNomer but I think I'd like everyone's opinion who might offer one.
Next week our PM comes back to us with all the big holes cut and plugged (ac/solar/fan).
Then the she-boss and I will insulate and run wires.
Not now but in the fall we'll do the Webasto gas burner.
So to future proof we'll need to have a pathway/mechanism for the control cable.
Our Webasto will go in front of the passenger wheel well. Ideally the control cable will
need to go up the wall, over the ceiling, and down and behind the driver's seat 2-3 feet.
So, I've never handled/seen a Webasto control cable.
Will it fit 3/4 PEX tube?
If so we will 'install a 3/4 PEX tube from one side to the other during out build and put a heavy
fishing line in it for later.

Alternatively and this will be easiet.
On that side of the van (passenger's) where the Webasto will be installed, is there any reason
why I can't have the on/off/thermostat up on the wall above the unit a couple of feet ??
That means I only need to get DC to where the unit will be and I have to do that anyway.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Skaggydog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
well then

you may as well think about this too...
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-e...-wire/=16dyupk

If it don't fit get a bigger hammer

2016 2500 159" Gas HT Glazed
To be a camper
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
The runs to the battery and to the controller are in 1/2" plastic conduit, or it may even be a bit less. Very generous lengths--I have a big coil of the battery conduit under a drawer. My solution to the short run across the floor of the tunnel will simply be a piece of 3/4" wood or ply with a groove on the under side. I will hold it down with turner's double-stick tape.

More important--before you can decide where to put the heater, you must examine underneath. You will not be able to put the unit literally "in front of the passenger wheel well" because of a massive longitudinal support member. In that general area, there are two acceptable spots, before and after a cross-member. Either one puts the unit about 16" inboard. Go underneath with a piece of ply 6.25" X 7.25" (outer holes on the 7" X 8" mounting plate). Where this will fit flat against the floor, the heater should fit, but also consider surrounding structures for interferences. Use the tie-down in front of the wheel for interior-exterior approximate calibration, acknowledging that the path is skewed by the support member. Given your sliding trays, you may have to put the unit in your cabinet behind the driver.

My rheostat is fairly low on the C-pillar in the stadium-shaped hole, so it is easily reached from the head of the bed. I will post on my build thread soon. Our one night's experience (with laser thermometer) suggests this is a good position for us. There are shelves beneath the rheostat, but more relevant--the output is fairly forceful. A wall only a few inches to the side hardly gets warm. I measure no direct effect on the shelves or on the underside of the bed board 28" above and about 10" in front of the outlet.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsNomer For This Useful Post:
Roblee (02-17-2017)

post #4 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 06:47 PM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Garage
Our Espar heater air outlet is beside the porta-pottie and the outlet diffuser can be aimed. We point it up towards the thighs of the user which, for a few moments in the morning is a pleasant way to begin the day, as the van is heating up prior to coffee. Just say’n.
Oh yes the PEX cannot hurt, I’d install it.

2015 136" HT Diesel Sandstone Metallic happy with the owner conversion. See: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37177
Have Leatherman, Will Travel
post #5 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 07:06 PM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
I sure wish we had thought of PEX.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page